Last night I did all the baking lacquer parts. If you haven’t tried this stuff yet, it great. Ive done other guns with it. It easy to use and durable. Certain parts (in keeping with the original look of the shotgun) would be black while others would have a metallic appearance. I preheated the oven to 300 and got to spraying the parts with 3 light coats. Here they are baking for ˝ hour.
The 30 inch barrel of course would not fit in my oven so I had to improvise and build at tall skinny oven just for the barrel. I used an electric hot plate, some stove pipe, plywood, tin foil, and a wire hanger.
I let that engineering marvel preheat while I took a diamond tool mounted in my Dremmel to the barrel to add a marking that was missing.
The barrel also cooked for 30 minutes.
Here are some of the small parts after they cooled and after I ran a tap through all the holes to clean up the threads from the over spray.
Here is the barrel after its cooled and two applications of paste wax applied.
I am ready to begin assembling all the parts into a gun. Im making progress on the butt stock as well. After several coats during this week, I took after it with 600 grit sandpaper and gave it another of many applications of tung oil.
When I began this project I took dozens upon dozens of photos during the disassembly process to aid me in reassembling the gun since I knew there was going to be a good deal of time before I would be putting the pieces back together and I wouldnt remember how to do it. I took pictures of the parts in their assembled state to see how they interfaced with one another like this.
Then as I removed the parts I took pictures of the orientation so I could reverse the process later on like this.
Despite my best efforts I still managed to mess up the reassembly. On more than one occasion I failed to pay close enough attention to my photos and tried to put it back together incorrectly. Perhaps I was in too great a hurry. Once I slowed down and really studied the pictures and put things back not only in the proper orientation but in the right sequence (some parts had to be assembled before others) then it all came together quite well. At this point all the metal parts are reassembled. Here are a few before and after pics.
These two springs proved to be the most difficult to compress and reassemble. I can envision the custom tool they no doubt used in mass production. I spent the most time coming up with a way to reinstall these springs without marring the finish on the receiver.
Then I turned to the fore grip wood and spring assembly.
There are still more applications of tung oil to be worked into the butt stock so I can't assemble the complete shotgun so I will turn my attention to building a remote means of test firing this old gun. I need to make a sled to hold the gun securely and a way to trigger it from about 60 feet away. Back to making sawdust.
This is an amazing restoration. Great work. Simply amazing. You should be very proud of this. I was just thinking that I hadn't seen a really great documented restoration or project on here in awhile then I found yours. Excellent work.
Sent from my SCH-I545 using Firearms Talk mobile app
So with this gun finished Its time to start the next one which involves a 1967 Ithaca model 66 Super single, buck buster, lever action 20 ga shotgun, an angry raccoon, lots of raccoon urine and a coffee can full of nasty gun parts. Time to stock up on rubber gloves.