Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Ebony Stain

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2012, 01:27 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Ebony Stain

Hey Guys
I am having a heck of a time and need some sage advice.

I have an old Savage .22 rifle I have been playing around with now for months. It was a beater that I purchased cheap and wanted to refurbish myself.

The stock is beat to hell; scratches, gouges, dings and dents galore. I have been trying to figure out how to stain it ebony to hide most of the problems.

I have used a furniture ebony stain, it went on like paint, not showing the grain, and mostly came off with sanding. I tried leather dye, almost the same result. I diluted the dye in alcohol and tried again. it was a little better but not very dark at all. So now I have a stock showing every ding, dent and scratch.

As this is a rough project rifle, I am not opposed to painting it if all else fails. I really would like to have a black stock that shows the grain. My last ditch try at this will be with a black marker. Before I resort to that I wanted to ask your advice.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-18-2012, 04:08 AM   #2

Liked 89 Times on 56 Posts

Coloring the stock will do little to mask imperfections. Most gouges and dents can be steamed out by using a damp wash cloth and an iron. Place a corner of the damp cloth over the area, and press the hot iron against it. Steam will enter the pores of the wood and raise the dent. It can then be sanded flush. Sand the lighter scratches out and refinish the stock.

Old 08-18-2012, 04:31 AM   #3

Liked 1675 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1127

I agree the iron can work wonders. As far as the ebony stain goes...do a little at a time. Put a coat on. Let is soak in for a couple minutes. Wipe it off. Repeat. You will do better with a bunch of thin coats than one or two heavy ones. Dont get in a hury.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:45 AM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 16

No association,Heck...I don't even build guitars.But am on these folks E-mailing list and do enjoy reading their stuff?They seem to carry a little higher quality line of woodworking items than typical woodpecker joints.

Did you check Brownells?

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishing_supplies/Colors,_tints,_and_stains/Black_Fingerboard_Stain.html

Old 08-18-2012, 10:32 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1743 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 1986

Default Fire........

You might try a small propane torch, I find it works wonders to bring out the grain and add dark coloring with out the use of stains. try this on a piece of simialar wood, then have at it. Then you can use a mixture of wood oils to bring out the beauty.......

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 08-19-2012, 04:12 PM   #6

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks everyone.

I have ironed the stock, but as I have said, it is in pretty rough shape.
Thanks for all the ideas.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:47 PM   #7

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Remove the entire stock and sand it to bare wood. Then apply the stain you would like. Then apply coats of clear until it gets the shine that you are looking for. I have refinished several stocks that many thought were beyond repair. Saw a great tip on an earlier post. Always go with several thin coats of stain or clear and the end product will be much nicer.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:07 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1743 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 1986

Default Just me......

I'm not into a stock and fore end that glints in the sun light. it should melt into the terrain.......What do i know.....

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 08-27-2012, 06:55 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Do you know what is the species of the wood? If it is a harder wood (hard maple, hickory, white oak) they are not as porous so it may be more difficult to get it to accept the stain.
1) Sand the stock with 120 grit. Then try staining a small section at a time. If you sand with a higher grit it will almost polish the wood and the stain will not be able to dive into the pores.
2) If you can find someone that sells a low solvent stain base that would work best. The ls base had to be stirred a lot though.
3) You could also try"conditioning" the wood before you apply the stain. Just apply clear stain base and wipe off before apply the ebony.

One of those should help I hope.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:49 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Make sure your have sanded back to bare wood before you try anything