DIY Gun Holster Purse (Budget Build)
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > DIY Gun Holster Purse (Budget Build)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2014, 06:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Default DIY Gun Holster Purse (Budget Build)

Lets try this again...

Wife wants a CPL and she wants a purse to do it with. Unfortunantly most concealed carry purses run around $200 and look like they are used to carry around a gun. Neither a good thing in my book.

So we went to the local thrift store and she picked out a purse which she liked and which I felt to be a good match for concealed carry. HOURS later (psh, women!) we have our purse for $5, a hell of a price! We picked one which has only a single outside zipper pocket for simplicity.

Next its off to LGS to grab a pocket holster for her Ruger LC9. In this case, a Blackhawk pocket holster size 3 for a whole $15. While there we check that the holstered firearm fits properly and it does!

On the way home from LGS pick up velcro from local hobby shop. While here it may be wise to purchase a thin but stiff piece of foam or plastic in the event that the material the purse is made from is too pliable. If it is, it could make drawing your firearm difficult and this is easily resolved by securing said foam or plastic inside the pocket against the outside side of the pocket.

Take it all home, situate everything like she wants, check fit/function 15 more time, and apply velcro! Just like that, you have a concealed carry purse for $25! It fits her and her firearm, but more importantly, its safe, functional AND SHE WILL TAKE IT WITH HER!

I'd be happy to answer any questions and hope this inspires someone somewhere. Prior to this post I was unable to find ANYTHING about a diy purse like this on google.

Thanks!
tmp_img_20140303_111906994093104.jpg   tmp_img_20140303_111936865609652.jpg   tmp_img_20140303_112031-1819699587.jpg  

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun
MisterMcCool Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-05-2014, 10:00 PM   #2

Liked 49 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Gotta love home town ingenuity.
BigByrd47119 Likes This 
Old 03-05-2014, 10:02 PM   #3

And my wife had fun watching 6'3" 245lb me walk through a LGS with a purse in my hand lol!

It was nice to do something DIY. Always been a favorite activity of mine.

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun
MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 03-05-2014, 11:14 PM   #4
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8622 Times on 4635 Posts
Likes Given: 18211

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigByrd47119 View Post
6'3" 245lb me
Whoa! I did not expect that.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
Whoa! I did not expect that.
:-P Why ya say that?

---Tom Braun
MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 03-06-2014, 12:46 AM   #6
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I had a mental image of a young Andy Griffith. I was way off.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
I had a mental image of a young Andy Griffith. I was way off.
pshhh...wish I looked half that good!

---Tom Braun
MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 03-06-2014, 12:51 AM   #8
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Now I'm thinking Lou Ferrigno

Old 03-06-2014, 03:45 AM   #9
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1416 Times on 746 Posts
Likes Given: 622

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigByrd47119 View Post
And my wife had fun watching 6'3" 245lb me walk through a LGS with a purse in my hand lol!

It was nice to do something DIY. Always been a favorite activity of mine.
BigByrd, I'm 6'4", 225 lbs and athletic build, so I look just as ridiculous carrying the purse!

I love the fact that you included your wife in the choices to make sure she would actually use it! I have helped build about half a dozen of these carry purses and I have only one suggestion:

Where you talked about stiffening one side with foam or plastic, if you do this to an outside side, the purse can look "unnatural." However, it is very easy to rip the seam and insert a piece perfectly shaped to the purse (trace the purse and trim just enough for tight fit) and then restitch. Seam is usually on bottom or side, so it is relatively convenient. I used thick Kydex most effectively for this and a 3M spray adhesive found at any craft store or Wal-mart to fasten the lining to the Kydex, thereby making a stable inner wall. If the inner liner is a very thin material, use a soft edging fastened to the corners to keep it from wearing through - the soft, "eye" side of self-sticking Velcro strips can be used for this.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)