DIY finishes
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > DIY finishes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 02:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Default DIY finishes

I've seen some of the work done by folks here so I'm wondering about the path I should take. I may be coming into an alloy framed Kimber that is "finish challenged" to say the least. Now I could pack it up and send it to CCR; however, is there a DIY finish that's as tough & durable?

I've heard that Gunkote is good but I really have zero experience in this area. Any tips from y'all is appreciated - especially in how much prep work is required. Do I need to strip the slide & frame to bare metal or beadblast? Can the same finish be used on the alloy frame and steel slide?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-15-2011, 04:37 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Have you considered checking out the Durakoat website? I don't have any answers to your specific questions in regards prep, other than I am alost positive you are not going to have to strip off the old finish before you put on the new one. My father has applied some of the Durakoat to a couple of his AR's and claims it is simple and so far it has been tough as nails.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:23 PM   #3

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've done a couple DuraCoat jobs, one on my AR, on all the metal parts. The finish has not been affected at all by the barrel heating up, which was my first concern.

I bought the little kits that come with a sprayer and a little c02 bottle. They suck. If you have a compressor, Dave, that would be the way to go.

Other than the gas issue, I'm really happy with the DuraCoat products. But as far as friction parts go, like slide on frame in a pistol, I can't speak to that.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:49 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I had a revolver done in Duracoat and it didn't hold up. The finish was done by a friend in the autobody business and he prepped it well. I was surprised it didn't last.

I've used Brownell's Aluma Hyde II several times and have been happy with it.

If you want to keep the cost down, CCR is doing a "Parkerize Plus" finish that looks pretty good. They are good folks and they do outstanding work.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-24-2011, 03:28 AM   #5

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I have not used Duracoat, but hear good things.

I have used the various KG Products coatings, and they are great. They make the GunKote for Brownells. I have a lot of experience with the AH2, GunKote, and Teflon from Brownells. I've probably done 200 guns, so far.

Blasting the alloy frame will remove the surface hard coat anodizing. I would just strip it down, de-grease it and go with AH2. It will wear off from the rails, but you won't see it.

Baking the alloy at 300f for an hour might be a bit much, but you could do the Gun Kote. It wears very well. And it is ready to use within a few minutes of coming out of the oven.

AH2 needs a long time to cure. A couple of days before you handle it. A couple of weeks before you use it. Several months before it turns to armor plate.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 02-24-2011, 04:02 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm being tempted by home anadizing.....if I decide to go thru with it I'll post pics.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 02-25-2011, 02:18 PM   #7

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
I'm being tempted by home anadizing.....if I decide to go thru with it I'll post pics.
Cool. How do you do home anodizing?

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 02-26-2011, 12:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
I may be coming into an alloy framed Kimber that is "finish challenged" to say the least.
Hey!!! If you hurt her feelings she won't love you anymore!!!!

Old 02-26-2011, 01:01 AM   #9

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentghost View Post
Hey!!! If you hurt her feelings she won't love you anymore!!!!
It has character!

Old 02-26-2011, 01:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
It has character!

And it served me well! Maybe we can fool around with the Para I have, or that other mil spec of yours and then we can start refinishing guns in this area