Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   DIY Projects (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/)
-   -   DIY barn lumber shop cabinets (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/diy-barn-lumber-shop-cabinets-52143/)

greenriver 11-20-2011 04:28 PM

DIY barn lumber shop cabinets

3 Attachment(s)
A good friend of mine had to tear down a 100 year old barn and offered me all of the lumber I wanted for free. I was already planning on building cabinets for my shop and thought this is a perfect choice. I built the counter tops from regular 2x10 and the boxes from plywood from Lowes but all the rest is old lumber. Notice in the first picture how someone years ago sprinkeled a couple boards with buckshot, I did not notice it until I was about to cut right through it and realized what it was, thought it would be neat just to keep them together, its the seem on 2 doors on the smaller cabinet. I cheated a little and used modern mechanical drawer slides but T-hinges to kinda keep the old look, wish the were rusted. They turned out pretty good I think, holds most of my junk and then some

griffin81 11-20-2011 04:31 PM

That looks awesome. Great job.

play the victim, be the victim

CA357 11-20-2011 05:08 PM

Very nicely done. Kudos to you.

ellis36 11-20-2011 07:17 PM

Great job! Beautiful cabinets!

trip286 11-20-2011 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellis36
Great job! Beautiful cabinets!

That is awesome! My local liquor store has a countertop made from old wooden liquor boxes, its really something to behold too, your project reminds me of it.

Chainfire 11-20-2011 09:33 PM

That looks outstanding.

I have done the same thing, but I usually run the finished side through a plane. I have made some nice tables out of 100 year old + heart pine salvaged from barns or old houses. I built my own barn out of a very old barn that had to come down. The wood was so hard, it had to be drilled first before you could drive a nail in it.

c3shooter 11-20-2011 09:39 PM

Very nice work. FIW, think that is birdshot- not buckshot- possibly from control of pigeons or rats in the barn.

If anyone asks, just get real quiet for a few seconds, say something like "That was a really bad night when I first started reloading- I would rather not talk about it." Then watch their faces! :D

chrispy 11-22-2011 01:11 PM

Nice looking cabinets. I bet those took a little while to make

greenriver 11-22-2011 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrispy (Post 633461)
Nice looking cabinets. I bet those took a little while to make

I didnt count the hours but roughly a month working nights and weekends, I use to help my dad in his cabinet shop years ago.

My friend is happy to see me do something with the lumber, maybe they will live anoher 100 years in my shop? I wish I had a picture of the old barn, it was a tobacco barn 7 tiers deep, tallest 'backer barn I ever saw.

towboater 11-22-2011 10:00 PM

Looks great. That was a big barn.

I have an old barn that needs to come down. I'll save a bit for projects.