DIY AR-15 Question. - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects >

DIY AR-15 Question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2013, 04:22 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowercaseJay View Post
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I'm a machinist by any means. I've had many jobs and hobbies that have made me familiar to a plethora of tools and machines and doing programming and 3D modeling for video games, I'm absolutely positive that I can wrap my head around CAD and g-code. I'm a CNC virgin, I agree, but nobody is born a professional and I don't expect this forum to be a replacement for school. I only want guidance so that I can succeed in school and in business, seeing as though neither one is really easy for a beginner.

With that said, I see the different points being brought up about the bolt carrier group, and gas tubes, and what not... the short answer.. no, I didn't really plan on manufacturing these parts. I did want to know though, if it came down to it, could it be done? I'm happy with the responses and again, I'm sorry for the confusion. But if you guys can help me with one more thing please:

Being new to cnc milling, I understand that a part is drawn in the CAD software then converted to g-code with CAM software and it's that g-code that instructs the mill. I also know there is tons of CAD/CAM software to choose from and like everything else in the world, you get what you pay for and sometimes less. A list that was given to me includes:

1. G-wizard for feeds and speeds
2. Geomagic Design for model creation
3. V-Carve Pro
4. Deskproto

This seems like more than what's needed so I'm hoping somebody here can set me straight. It would be nice to have as little software as possible for simplicity's sake, so if there's a one stop software available on the market that would be great. If not, can somebody please recommend reliable, professional grade software for CNC milling?

I really do appreciate the responses.
Most people who make their own guns have a degree and/or years of experience with metallurgy. Most people who have taken advanced drafting courses can set up a CNC mill. The idea behind making your own gun/s is to build a better mousetrap, not just to prove you can build a mousetrap.

Old 09-21-2013, 04:27 PM   #22
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Bill, unless you have a manufacturing ffl you cannot sell a home made rifle . Only for personal usage .
i think there are two different thoughts going on here and they are getting confused.

a person may make a firearm for personal usage as long as it meets BATF criteria and specifications for a legal firearm. from what i have read, it does not have to have a serial number, but it is suggested it should have one. it can be sold at a later date, but can't be made with the intent to sell.

manufactering of firearms does require an FFL to engage in the business of selling those firearms, and does require them to have a serial number.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:15 PM   #23

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 21

@John deer - I understand that. Like I said, I don't expect this site to be a replacement for school. Let's pretend I've never cut the grass a day in my life and my dad tells me "go make the grass shorter." And then starts chewing my ass when I'm out there ripping the grass out of the dirt with my bare hands. Same senerio, he tells me "go grab the lawnmower, and the weed wacker and make the grass look good out there." Now I know what tools I need and I can go out there, figure out how they operate and complete the task. I'm not asking whether or not you believe I meet the criteria for a machinist (no disrespect), I'm only asking for recommendations on great CAD/CAM software for the task I want to complete.

If I took all the paperwork I have now, add a LLC and a DBA, and submit it, I'll have a FFL within 6 months. The reason I haven't is because every forum I get on dances around the software question as if it's a well guarded secret that I'll only find out in some technical college. I can spend a **** ton of money on software that I don't need until I get it right... and I will get it right... if I need to I suppose could just go into one of the machine shops in town, less than two blocks from me, and ask for help setting up the machine and compensate the person for their time even if it's their spare time. I can sit through a rushed course with an instructor that barely has time to pack a lunch let alone make a little time to help the quiet guy in the corner of the classroom understand the course better or I can familiarize myself with it now and take in more from the course from the get go.

... does that make sense at all? I don't know, if not then I'm sorry I wasted your time here.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:22 PM   #24
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowercaseJay View Post
@John deer - I understand that. Like I said, I don't expect this site to be a replacement for school. Let's pretend I've never cut the grass a day in my life and my dad tells me "go make the grass shorter." And then starts chewing my ass when I'm out there ripping the grass out of the dirt with my bare hands. Same senerio, he tells me "go grab the lawnmower, and the weed wacker and make the grass look good out there." Now I know what tools I need and I can go out there, figure out how they operate and complete the task. I'm not asking whether or not you believe I meet the criteria for a machinist (no disrespect), I'm only asking for recommendations on great CAD/CAM software for the task I want to complete.

If I took all the paperwork I have now, add a LLC and a DBA, and submit it, I'll have a FFL within 6 months. The reason I haven't is because every forum I get on dances around the software question as if it's a well guarded secret that I'll only find out in some technical college. I can spend a **** ton of money on software that I don't need until I get it right... and I will get it right... if I need to I suppose could just go into one of the machine shops in town, less than two blocks from me, and ask for help setting up the machine and compensate the person for their time even if it's their spare time. I can sit through a rushed course with an instructor that barely has time to pack a lunch let alone make a little time to help the quiet guy in the corner of the classroom understand the course better or I can familiarize myself with it now and take in more from the course from the get go.

... does that make sense at all? I don't know, if not then I'm sorry I wasted your time here.
have you thought about contacting the people that make the CNC milling machines? maybe they could steer you in the direction of the companies that make software for their equipment.

i ran CNC milling machines and lathes in the past. i have knowledge of how to write the programs, but in the companies i worked for they had guys that could write the programs to be able to produce the parts we made on them.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:53 PM   #25

Liked 204 Times on 136 Posts

You can't sell commercially manufactured guns without an FFL- if you are selling them commercially. But, as an individual you can make an occasional sale, or sell your entire collection without an FFL.
The difference is "doing business." You can't manufacture guns with the INTENT of selling them.
You can do exactly the same with your home made gun. You just can't keep doing it. Show me where it says the gun can not change hands. If you die, your home made gun goes to your heirs. If, in the normal course of collecting/trading guns, you decide to sell your home made gun, it is entirely legal to do so under federal law. You can even manufacture an NFA weapon (except machineguns) and sell it as long as the federal tax is paid. Serial numbers are not required, and have nothing to do with it.
Do your research and get back to me.....
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-22-2013, 12:10 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2922 Times on 1720 Posts

Would a federal indictment for possession alone be enough to stop the argument?
http://www.atf.gov/press/releases/2009/02/022609-col-zanesville-man-charged-on-firearms-possession.html
Firearms manufactured after a certain date a required to have a serial number.
Can you build one for personal use that doesn't have one? Yes, is it advisable? No. Can you sell that firearm? Absolutely not.
You wanna take up your argument with the ATF?

Old 09-22-2013, 12:17 AM   #27

Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

Don't expect us to tell you what software to get to set up your machine. Thats your job if your going to make a gun with a CNC machine. If you can't get past this part by yourself, you haven't studied enough. For starters your looking in the wrong place. You should be in a machinist site asking them and getting information from them. Cad programs cost alot of money and nobody wants to stear you wrong with what they are using, if they are using. Do the cnc machines come with their own software? Have you checked that out. I'm not even sure you can get by with just a CNC machine to make a gun. Look for gun smithing books that deal with CNC machines.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:49 AM   #28

Liked 204 Times on 136 Posts

Axxe55 has it figured out!
Guns that HAVE serial numbers can't have the numbers removed.
ATF can charge you for anything they want, but they have to PROVE it, too.
Firearms manufatured by a licensed MANUFACTURER for sale must have serial numbers. Home made firearms do not require serial numbers.
How much plainer can it be?
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-22-2013, 02:01 AM   #29

Liked 1153 Times on 749 Posts
Likes Given: 2043

Heres a prime example. This can be looked at many different ways . But bottom line it says this item can be transfered if marked properly . However it does not state that it can be sold or for resale . They never really give a clear answer . I know guys that have sold items that were made such as home brew stamped AK, s out of their own personal collections . I will give another instance below this one where a 80% lower manufacturer gave a whole different opinion on resale. " Stating a finished 80% firearm cannot be transfered in ANY manner . NO willing it to family and no giving it away to a friend and that it must be destroyed upon inheritance .
I will jusy say this with it being unclear by the ATF I wouldnt even want the liability of selling it to someone and them get hurt with it or them hurt someone with it . Lawsuit city right there .
screenshot_2013-09-21-20-47-33-1.jpg  

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 09-22-2013, 02:04 AM   #30

Liked 1153 Times on 749 Posts
Likes Given: 2043

Hopefully you can read this one
screenshot_2013-09-21-21-04-39.jpg   screenshot_2013-09-21-21-04-20.jpg  

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens