Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > DIY AR-15 Question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2013, 01:28 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 538 Times on 328 Posts
Likes Given: 214

I could see you being able to build lowers, uppers, and some of the less complicated parts but do you really plan on making BCG, buffer tubes, gas tubes, etc.....?

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

LowercaseJay Likes This 
Old 09-20-2013, 08:43 PM   #12

Liked 100 Times on 64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Serial number????
There is no federal requirement for a serial number on a home made gun that is not an NFA weapon.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:13 PM   #13

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2014

Do I need a Federal firearms license to make a firearm for my own personal use,
provided it is not being made for resale?

Firearms may be lawfully made by persons who do not hold a manufacturer’s license under the
GCA provided they are not for sale or distribution and the maker is not prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms.
However, a person is prohibited from
assembling a non
-
sporting semi automatic rifle or shotgun from 10 or more imported parts
, as set forth in regulations in 27 CFR 478.39.
In addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and
advance
approval by ATF.
An application to make a machinegun will not be approved unless
documentation is submitted showing that the firearm is being made for
the official use of
a - 8 - Federal , State or local government agency
( 18 U.S.C. § 922(o) , (r) ; 26 U.S.C. § 5822 ; 27 CFR §§ 478.39, 479.62 , and 479.105).
Additionally, although markings are not required on firearms manufactured for personal use (excluding NFA firearms) , owners are recommended to
conspicuously place or engrave a serial number and/ or other marks of identification to aid in investigation or recovery by State or local
law enforcement officials in the event of a theft or loss of the privately owned firearm.

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 09-20-2013, 10:02 PM   #14
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDeShivs View Post
It is perfectly legal to sell a gun you made. It is illegal to manufacture guns for sale. There is a big difference.
You can do what you are asking with a CNC mill, but the fact that you are asking tells me you need machining experience.
You won't be able to make all the parts, but you can make the major ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Do I need a Federal firearms license to make a firearm for my own personal use,
provided it is not being made for resale?

Firearms may be lawfully made by persons who do not hold a manufacturer’s license under the
GCA provided they are not for sale or distribution and the maker is not prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms.
However, a person is prohibited from
assembling a non
-
sporting semi automatic rifle or shotgun from 10 or more imported parts
, as set forth in regulations in 27 CFR 478.39.
In addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and
advance
approval by ATF.
An application to make a machinegun will not be approved unless
documentation is submitted showing that the firearm is being made for
the official use of
a - 8 - Federal , State or local government agency
( 18 U.S.C. § 922(o) , (r) ; 26 U.S.C. § 5822 ; 27 CFR §§ 478.39, 479.62 , and 479.105).
Additionally, although markings are not required on firearms manufactured for personal use (excluding NFA firearms) , owners are recommended to
conspicuously place or engrave a serial number and/ or other marks of identification to aid in investigation or recovery by State or local
law enforcement officials in the event of a theft or loss of the privately owned firearm.
Hmmm, I guess arguing with the gunsmith didn't work out so well for you Bill.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:09 AM   #15

Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

Are you a machinest now? Have you ever used a lathe or milling maching? If you haven't I would reconsider it. You will have more money invested in bits and tools then 5 ar15s would cost. Not only will you have to know code for the machine, you will have to learn the speeds for your cutting bits, learn how to read mikes, the strengths of the different metals etc etc etc I am no machinist but I do have a big mill and lathe and I have made some cool parts for guns, cars and motorcycles. It is time consuming. Set up and programming will take up most of your time. But I will say this. If you really want this, do it. If the ar doesnt work out, you can still make things and learn. Just remeber this too. Bits will break and when they do they usually take your project with them.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:16 AM   #16

Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

Yes its legal to make your own gun. Just don't make a machine gun or a grenade launcher. You can make all your parts and buy springs and screws. You can even buy a barrel for it. But you have to stick with what guns are legal to have in your state. If your state bans ar15, then the ar15 you just made falls into that catagorie. Keep track of what restricted in your state and check out if they have a tax in order to have certain rifles. Even if it doesn't have to be register it still has to meet state requirements to take it out shooting.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:09 AM   #17

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I'm a machinist by any means. I've had many jobs and hobbies that have made me familiar to a plethora of tools and machines and doing programming and 3D modeling for video games, I'm absolutely positive that I can wrap my head around CAD and g-code. I'm a CNC virgin, I agree, but nobody is born a professional and I don't expect this forum to be a replacement for school. I only want guidance so that I can succeed in school and in business, seeing as though neither one is really easy for a beginner.

With that said, I see the different points being brought up about the bolt carrier group, and gas tubes, and what not... the short answer.. no, I didn't really plan on manufacturing these parts. I did want to know though, if it came down to it, could it be done? I'm happy with the responses and again, I'm sorry for the confusion. But if you guys can help me with one more thing please:

Being new to cnc milling, I understand that a part is drawn in the CAD software then converted to g-code with CAM software and it's that g-code that instructs the mill. I also know there is tons of CAD/CAM software to choose from and like everything else in the world, you get what you pay for and sometimes less. A list that was given to me includes:

1. G-wizard for feeds and speeds
2. Geomagic Design for model creation
3. V-Carve Pro
4. Deskproto

This seems like more than what's needed so I'm hoping somebody here can set me straight. It would be nice to have as little software as possible for simplicity's sake, so if there's a one stop software available on the market that would be great. If not, can somebody please recommend reliable, professional grade software for CNC milling?

I really do appreciate the responses.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:31 AM   #18

Liked 100 Times on 64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Hmmm, I guess arguing with the gunsmith didn't work out so well for you Bill.
Read my reply again. That is exactly what I said.
Having trouble with reading comprehension?
You can not make a gun for sale, but you can sell a gun you made. Just don't do too much of it.
serial numbers are not required.

Last edited by BillDeShivs; 09-21-2013 at 06:33 AM.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #19
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:

You can not make a gun for sale, but you can sell a gun you made. Just don't do too much of it.
You cannot sell a manufactured firearm without a serial number. You need to check your reading comprehension. A serial number is not required for a firearm manufactured for personal use. Said firearm cannot change hands. Building an ar from purchased parts with serial numbers and later selling it is not the same as manufacturing a firearm with no serial number.

I don't need No stinking signature.

People Like This 
Old 09-21-2013, 04:09 PM   #20

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2014

Quote:
Bill, unless you have a manufacturing ffl you cannot sell a home made rifle . Only for personal usage .

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens
Axxe55 Likes This