Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   DIY Projects (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/)
-   -   DIY AR-15 Question. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/diy-ar-15-question-97280/)

LowercaseJay 09-18-2013 09:27 PM

DIY AR-15 Question.

Not sure if this is the correct spot for my question but it seemed like it was a reasonable one. I've been saving up for a nice Hurco 3-axis cnc mill, and I want to build my own AR-15. All across the world wide web everbody and their mother is interested in AR lowers, I'm interested in a complete build minus the barrel. I have accurate blueprints, firearm specific manuals, machining manuals, gunsmithing manuals,the ability to learn incredibly fast (kinesthetically), and a hunch, but I'd like a more experienced input.

Can I build the entire AR-15 (minus the barrel) using a cnc mill? or would i have to invest in a 3D printer as well?

mountainman13 09-18-2013 09:33 PM

3d printer is only for polymer parts. It could come in handy for custom accessories (mags, fore grip) but shouldn't be necessary.
Unless you have have the ability to manufacture springs you will need to purchase some parts. Some parts may also be cheaper to purchase than manufacture.
You do realize you can never sell the gun. Unless you have an ffl for manufacturing.

Axxe55 09-18-2013 10:04 PM

with a good milling machine, diagrams and blueprints, and some skill using a milling machine, i don't see why not. a lot will depend on your skills though.

in regards to MM13's comment, is this fpr personal use or are you looking towards making and selling them? because if for personal use, it's perfectly legal to build a firearm from scratch as per BATF guidelines, for personal use. making them for selling will require an FFL like MM13 suggested.

LowercaseJay 09-18-2013 10:06 PM

yes, I am aware that I cannot sell the gun and I intend on getting a type 07 FFL. I have a business model that passed the local zoning requirements and I'm in the midst of do my market research for my business plan to ease my investor's concerns. However, I was hoping to make a few guns of several types for personal use before I actually sent my application to the BATF because I fear that if I'm paying the annual FFL fees on top of the overhead and other manufacturing costs during my trial and error phase, I'll only run my investor's money and my business straight into the dirt.

Thank you for putting that into perspective for me, that helps out a lot.

Axxe55 09-18-2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LowercaseJay (Post 1376211)
yes, I am aware that I cannot sell the gun and I intend on getting a type 07 FFL. I have a business model that passed the local zoning requirements and I'm in the midst of do my market research for my business plan to ease my investor's concerns. However, I was hoping to make a few guns of several types for personal use before I actually sent my application to the BATF because I fear that if I'm paying the annual FFL fees on top of the overhead and other manufacturing costs during my trial and error phase, I'll only run my investor's money and my business straight into the dirt.

Thank you for putting that into perspective for me, that helps out a lot.

sounds like you are getting your ducks in a row to me!:D

work on your machining skills. find sources for material for making your product. build a website to promote your product. have good customer service. this is very important. many of us base our experiances with a product on how good the customer service is. good product, but crappy CS, and many of us will go somewhere else to buy. decent product and very good CS, and we will beat your door down trying to buy your products!

BTW, welcome to the forum and stop over in the Introductions section and say hello to everyone! glad to have you aboard.:D

LowercaseJay 09-18-2013 10:19 PM

I'll do that, and thanks again.

Axxe55 09-18-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LowercaseJay (Post 1376223)
I'll do that, and thanks again.

you're welcome! again welcome to the forum!:D

purehavoc 09-18-2013 10:44 PM

I think you will need to buy barrel blanks , unless you can forge your own steel and have lots of experience doing this I dont recommend it . The tooling is going to be very costly and you would need to do ALOT of them to recoup your money . Cool project though !!!!! I have had a lathe and mill on the back burner for a long long time , one of these days I will buy it . Maybe when I retire and have more time on my hands :)

BillDeShivs 09-20-2013 02:16 AM

It is perfectly legal to sell a gun you made. It is illegal to manufacture guns for sale. There is a big difference.
You can do what you are asking with a CNC mill, but the fact that you are asking tells me you need machining experience.
You won't be able to make all the parts, but you can make the major ones.

mountainman13 09-20-2013 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillDeShivs (Post 1377640)
It is perfectly legal to sell a gun you made. It is illegal to manufacture guns for sale. There is a big difference.
You can do what you are asking with a CNC mill, but the fact that you are asking tells me you need machining experience.
You won't be able to make all the parts, but you can make the major ones.

Serial number????