Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Custom, one of a kind, mutt guns.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2011, 03:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6561 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default Custom, one of a kind, mutt guns.

Hi, Another on of my threads got me thinking, can I mix gun parts (ex browning reciever with remington barrel) to create a custom gun. I basically want to make a gun that is my design using already manufactured parts. Something like long barreled semi auto (ak, ar, ect) rifles, custom sniper rifles, ect. Is there any laws I should now about doing this (I do not plan to sell)? Do I need a FFL? Am I just crazy for thinking about doing this?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-29-2011, 04:46 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 707 Times on 455 Posts
Likes Given: 227

It is certainly legal as you would be buying a receiver,not that it matters as you can build your own guns for your own use(with limitations). A barrel from one brand is different threads(and diameter) than from another, so they won't screw together. You might be able to cut the barrel threads off and re-thread and re-chamber the barrel to fit. The barrel contour most likely would not match up to an existing forearm you would have to build(or modify) a custom forearm/stock. You would be looking at a fair sized project.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:51 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6561 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
It is certainly legal as you would be buying a receiver,not that it matters as you can build your own guns for your own use(with limitations). A barrel from one brand is different threads(and diameter) than from another, so they won't screw together. You might be able to cut the barrel threads off and re-thread and re-chamber the barrel to fit. The barrel contour most likely would not match up to an existing forearm you would have to build(or modify) a custom forearm/stock. You would be looking at a fair sized project.
I don't have the tools or the knowedge to re-thread or re-chamber. I would perfer to find parts that already fit, or have someone do this for me. The stock will not be a problem though. I am a woodworker and I'm actually currently working on a walnut stock for my shotgun.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:11 PM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20886 Times on 11873 Posts
Likes Given: 52445

texaswoodworker, without the proper tools it would probably be near impossible to do as most gun makers have different threads and headspacing requirements. now that being said, there are some actions that you can get a barrel for that are short chambered and someone who is mechanically iinclined could put together their own rifle. if i'm not mistaken the mauser actions are the easiest to do this with. Brownells has some excellent articles about how to do this on their website. you might want to check it out. good luck and let us know how you're coming with it.