Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > custom mosin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2011, 06:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default custom mosin

Before I get attacked by purists (I am one too) I will not be modifying an original mosin. I have found A place that sells pieces of mosins for pretty cheap.

I want to make a custom stock with a pistol grip and then bend the bolt and install a scope as well as try to fabricate some sort of removable 10 rd. magazine. if I cant do the magazine then ill just stick with the original style.

any thoughts, questions, comments, concerns?

"Guns kill people.
Bull Sh*t!
Guns dont kill people, husbands who come home early kill people. The gun was just sitting there. So if guns kill people, that means I can blame my bad spelling on my pencil."
-Larry the Cable Guy

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-22-2011, 06:40 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8375 Times on 3624 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

With the recoil on a M-N, a WORKING muzzle brake would be high on my list of "nice to haves".

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:38 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5248 Times on 2738 Posts
Likes Given: 330

if i was going to mod one a good quality scope mount or better iron sights.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-23-2011, 12:07 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1097 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 624

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
With the recoil on a M-N, a WORKING muzzle brake would be high on my list of "nice to haves".
i think its more a of a need. than a nice to have. not having a bruise on my shoulder after 20 rounds would be a nice thing lol

Old 07-23-2011, 12:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
any suggestions on where to find a good muzzle break? I have been looking into them and everyone says that they are rubbish and tend to fly off after about 5 rounds and to no bother at all with one.

"Guns kill people.
Bull Sh*t!
Guns dont kill people, husbands who come home early kill people. The gun was just sitting there. So if guns kill people, that means I can blame my bad spelling on my pencil."
-Larry the Cable Guy

Old 07-28-2011, 02:52 AM   #6

So tonight i made a rough template for my new stock. I modeled it after an AR. it feels really natural when I hold it like I would hold the real thing. What you guys think

photo-1-.jpg   photo.jpg  

"Guns kill people.
Bull Sh*t!
-Larry the Cable Guy

Old 07-29-2011, 12:22 AM   #7

well I didnt like the first design I came up with for the stock so I reworked it today. I made a new sample out of 2x4's and I really like it. The dimensions are perfect fro me. I am gonna try to make up some CAD code tonight for a mold so I can pour the synthetic stock soon. Ill also take measurements so that I can make the CAD code to drill out the inset for the receiver and barrel

photo-2-.jpg  

"Guns kill people.
Bull Sh*t!
-Larry the Cable Guy

Old 07-29-2011, 01:10 AM   #8

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip102 View Post
any suggestions on where to find a good muzzle break? I have been looking into them and everyone says that they are rubbish and tend to fly off after about 5 rounds and to no bother at all with one.
Then everyone you are talking to know nothing about good brakes. I have an OpsInc brake on my precision .308 and it tames the recoil down to the point I see bullet holes show up on paper through my scope. They are pricey but work VERY well and I HIGHLY recommend them.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:46 PM   #9

Likes Given: 7

I install threaded flash hiders/muzzle brakes on Mosins. The felt recoil is significantly less than without one one. Makes shooting mine significantly more enjoyable to shoot and I hunt with my Mosin too.

-Adam
Owner / Bullets and Brass, LLC
Gilroy, California

Old 08-17-2012, 09:18 PM   #10

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts

I did what you are doing but I started with am ATI stock.

forumrunner_20120817_161524.jpg

Made a bolt handle, scope mount is from a shotgun, AR pistol grip, raised the comb about a half inch and shortened the barrel 4 inches. My bore isn't centered in the barrel so I'm still working ok a break.