Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   DIY Projects (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/)
-   -   custom mosin (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/custom-mosin-45637/)

chip102 07-22-2011 07:37 PM

custom mosin

Before I get attacked by purists (I am one too) I will not be modifying an original mosin. I have found A place that sells pieces of mosins for pretty cheap.

I want to make a custom stock with a pistol grip and then bend the bolt and install a scope as well as try to fabricate some sort of removable 10 rd. magazine. if I cant do the magazine then ill just stick with the original style.

any thoughts, questions, comments, concerns?

c3shooter 07-22-2011 07:40 PM

With the recoil on a M-N, a WORKING muzzle brake would be high on my list of "nice to haves".

JonM 07-23-2011 12:38 AM

if i was going to mod one a good quality scope mount or better iron sights.

jjfuller1 07-23-2011 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 547883)
With the recoil on a M-N, a WORKING muzzle brake would be high on my list of "nice to haves".

i think its more a of a need. than a nice to have. not having a bruise on my shoulder after 20 rounds would be a nice thing lol

chip102 07-23-2011 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 547883)

any suggestions on where to find a good muzzle break? I have been looking into them and everyone says that they are rubbish and tend to fly off after about 5 rounds and to no bother at all with one.

chip102 07-28-2011 03:52 AM

2 Attachment(s)
So tonight i made a rough template for my new stock. I modeled it after an AR. it feels really natural when I hold it like I would hold the real thing. What you guys think

chip102 07-29-2011 01:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
well I didnt like the first design I came up with for the stock so I reworked it today. I made a new sample out of 2x4's and I really like it. The dimensions are perfect fro me. I am gonna try to make up some CAD code tonight for a mold so I can pour the synthetic stock soon. Ill also take measurements so that I can make the CAD code to drill out the inset for the receiver and barrel

Wambli 07-29-2011 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chip102 (Post 548311)
any suggestions on where to find a good muzzle break? I have been looking into them and everyone says that they are rubbish and tend to fly off after about 5 rounds and to no bother at all with one.

Then everyone you are talking to know nothing about good brakes. I have an OpsInc brake on my precision .308 and it tames the recoil down to the point I see bullet holes show up on paper through my scope. They are pricey but work VERY well and I HIGHLY recommend them.

GetBulletsandBrass 08-13-2012 11:46 PM

I install threaded flash hiders/muzzle brakes on Mosins. The felt recoil is significantly less than without one one. Makes shooting mine significantly more enjoyable to shoot and I hunt with my Mosin too.

srtolly1 08-17-2012 10:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I did what you are doing but I started with am ATI stock.

Attachment 54870

Made a bolt handle, scope mount is from a shotgun, AR pistol grip, raised the comb about a half inch and shortened the barrel 4 inches. My bore isn't centered in the barrel so I'm still working ok a break.