Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Custom cheek rest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 10:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 12 Posts

Default Custom cheek rest

I needed a cheek rest for proper eye alignment to my scope on my pretty much out of the box Remington model 770 in a .270 caliber. I found a butt donut under the sink in my bathroom that wasn't being used and chopped it up to make the rest. I started off by cutting too big and slowly hacked away at it until it was just the right height, maybe a bit lower to allow for the fabric and adhesive I was planning on using.
Everything I used for this was the donut, a long strip of Velcro, some fabric I stole out of my wife's stock pile, some spray adhesive we had lying around, and a glue gun. My wife is pretty crafty so the glue gun is always around.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-11-2012, 10:05 PM   #2

Liked 480 Times on 329 Posts

Try one of these next time. http://www.tacticalworks.com/Tactical-Operations-Ammo-Cheek-Pad-Digi-Cam.html
Name:  ForumRunner_20120911_180536.jpg
Views: 1115
Size:  29.0 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20120911_180556.jpg
Views: 1229
Size:  28.8 KB

Last edited by tacticalfun; 09-11-2012 at 10:08 PM.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:22 PM   #3

I've tried it and didn't get the height I needed from it. I gave it back to my friend and did this. But I think I'll wrap around my rest with one of those when I pick one up.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:34 PM   #4
JTJ

Liked 1245 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 439

Did this with my Savage MKII. Kydex and crimp nuts. Can be slotted for adjustment.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
If things get better with age, I am approaching magnificent.
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ
Did this with my Savage MKII. Kydex and crimp nuts. Can be slotted for adjustment.
I like that. I had looked in to ordering some kydex to do just that. But I found this thing and though it looked like it'd work pretty good. I'm just figuring out how to use this app. New to it as of this past weekend. But I finished my post on another thread just after this one. The other one has more info and pics. Check it out

Old 09-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #6
JTJ

Liked 1245 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 439

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiehunter View Post
I like that. I had looked in to ordering some kydex to do just that. But I found this thing and though it looked like it'd work pretty good. I'm just figuring out how to use this app. New to it as of this past weekend. But I finished my post on another thread just after this one. The other one has more info and pics. Check it out
Where is it?

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
If things get better with age, I am approaching magnificent.
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ

Where is it?
It should be on the DIY just after this this one on the timeline.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiehunter

It should be on the DIY just after this this one on the timeline.
After I custom fit the height of the rest I removed it to wrap it in fabric. I used spray glue and careful fitting to apply the fabric to the foam. Then I ran a strip of Velcro longways underneath the piece and hot glued the soft side of the Velcro to my stock. I liked the idea of that glue because it holds decent and it peels off really cleanly if I need it to. And I glued the soft side down in case I lost the cheek rest or it fell off somehow, the rough part of the Velcro wouldn't tear off my face when I shot the rifle. Keeping the two parts of Velcro together I ran a bead of glue on the back side of the hook side of the Velcro and place the rest on the glue in the position that I wanted it. I had to make sure that the bolt had enough room to cycle. Once I did that I cut two long strips of Velcro and strategically placed those towards the front and rear to act as wraps around the stock to actually hold it in place. And that was it. It's comfortable, it helps with faster target acquisition, and it's just plain proper. It's a lot easier to hold steady on your target when you don't have to hold your head up to keep aligned with your crosshairs. Makes a HUGE difference!! And everything I used was already purchased for prior projects so it made this one free. I love those. Plus, when you DIY, you appreciate it more. Thanks for checking it out. Let me know what you think. Or better ideas.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:17 PM   #9

Liked 268 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiehunter View Post
After I custom fit the height of the rest I removed it to wrap it in fabric. I used spray glue and careful fitting to apply the fabric to the foam. Then I ran a strip of Velcro longways underneath the piece and hot glued the soft side of the Velcro to my stock. I liked the idea of that glue because it holds decent and it peels off really cleanly if I need it to. And I glued the soft side down in case I lost the cheek rest or it fell off somehow, the rough part of the Velcro wouldn't tear off my face when I shot the rifle. Keeping the two parts of Velcro together I ran a bead of glue on the back side of the hook side of the Velcro and place the rest on the glue in the position that I wanted it. I had to make sure that the bolt had enough room to cycle. Once I did that I cut two long strips of Velcro and strategically placed those towards the front and rear to act as wraps around the stock to actually hold it in place. And that was it. It's comfortable, it helps with faster target acquisition, and it's just plain proper. It's a lot easier to hold steady on your target when you don't have to hold your head up to keep aligned with your crosshairs. Makes a HUGE difference!! And everything I used was already purchased for prior projects so it made this one free. I love those. Plus, when you DIY, you appreciate it more. Thanks for checking it out. Let me know what you think. Or better ideas.
Pretty economical yet very functional solution you have there. Another solution, unfortunately not as economical, is the KMW loggerhead. Both my target rifles have these.

http://kmwlrs.com/LoggerHead%20ACP.htm

Old 09-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14

Pretty economical yet very functional solution you have there. Another solution, unfortunately not as economical, is the KMW loggerhead. Both my target rifles have these.

http://kmwlrs.com/LoggerHead%20ACP.htm
I've been searching high and low for something like that. Thank you. I'd have to really look at how to install something like that but that is exactly what I've been looking for.