Crafting a stock
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Crafting a stock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2012, 02:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Crafting a stock

I want to make a stock for one of my pellet guns. The problem is i don't know where i can buy a good piece of lumber to carve one out of. Does anyone know where i could buy one?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-17-2012, 03:51 AM   #2

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I searched for "rifle stock blanks" with google and the first site wanted about $400 and up for their stuff, then I found this place

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Walnut-and-Laminate-Hardwood-Gunstock-Blanks-s/79.htm

I don't know them, don't work for them, and they don't pay me to recommend them. I just found them with google.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:28 PM   #3

Liked 41 Times on 20 Posts

Check your local specialty woodworking store. I don't know where you are from,but in my area theres a store called Woodcraft (www.woodcraft.com) and they have some. Low end and high end. They can also tell you where to look. Something to remember though, you need is a low moisture blank. If it hasn't been dried enough it will twist and warp after you shape it. Also, with it being only a pellet gun your material choices are much wider. For higher caliber rifles or shotguns you need a harder wood so The stock doesn't crack...but you don't have to worry about that with a pellet gun.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:13 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Try ebay. You can usually find gunstock blanks pretty cheap (I bought one for about $40 a while back)
Some of these may still be green (still has excess moisture in it), so be sure to read the descriptions. If it says something like "it has been air dried for the last year", it's most likely still green. The problem with green wood is that it will shrink, and possibly warp. If you do get one, let it dry for a while longer.

You should be able to find an already dried piece pretty easily though.

Also, keep in mind that making a stock is a lot of work. You can make one without too much trouble with a spokeshave, rasps, and files though. It will just take a lot of time. (there are probably more efficient ways, but this is how I'm making mine)

Have fun, and don't forget to post some pics when your done.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:19 AM   #5

Liked 41 Times on 20 Posts

Since we have both brought up the topic of green wood...here's a question I have been wondering. Say you find an awesome piece of walnut and you want to use it now but its still green. Would kiln drying it cause problems?

As for the difficulty...it will depend on what tools you have available. As previously mentioned rasps, files, and planes are very very useful here as well as the forgotten about plane, the spokeshave as Texaswoodworker mentioned. Very handy for this. Also its going to depend on your skill level in a wood shop. If you haven't worked with wood before, you might have some issues starting off until you get the hang of it. If you've got any questions or need tips ask away on here or in a woodworking forum.

Last edited by rferguson61; 09-23-2012 at 08:23 AM.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:48 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by rferguson61 View Post
Since we have both brought up the topic of green wood...here's a question I have been wondering. Say you find an awesome piece of walnut and you want to use it now but its still green. Would kiln drying it cause problems?
IIRC, Kiln drying walnut can cause the wood to become a kind of muddy color (it will still be beautiful, just not as dark as it was) but other than that it should be fine. There is always the chance that it will crack and warp while drying, but it can also do that if you air dry it.

I have never had anything kiln dried, but I have read about how to do it, and what the wood may or may not do.

I think that you should also wait a while (month or so) after the wood has been kiln dried to work on it just to be cautious (it may still want to crack or warp). I'm not sure this is actually necessary though. I'd be a good idea to find more info about it, and maybe ask people who actually do it a lot.