Considering first AR-15 build - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Considering first AR-15 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2009, 04:48 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

jkatl - Thanks for signing up, that is really great news.

1:9 twist rates are great for the 55 grain stuff and you can go heavier as well. It's avery good twist rate for that type of ammo.

One thing I would recommend is that you get a NATO cut chamber. The 5.56mm chamber is cut differently to be able to handle the slightly larger pressure of the military ammo. The rifle will still shoot the civilian .223, but you will see a SLIGHT decrease in accuracy because of the dimensional changes.

If you have the option, go with a 5.56 chamber as opposed to a .223 chamber.

Several makers offer a "wildey" chamber that is basically for both calibers to end some of the confusion, and that is fine, but it's not a chamber that is cut specifically for either round. IN a CQB weapon, this doesn't make much difference at all. In a longer range tack driver, it can negatively affect accuracy....

Looking forward to seeing your progress along the way!

JD

Old 08-03-2009, 07:14 PM   #12

I like what you are putting together. I'd like to put together an AR as well just to learn how to shoot longer ranges then my 1911's. I also would like to get into some 3 gun matches and the AR seems like the ideal weapon. After my father in law picked up a RRA AR recently and after finding out that the company that machines their lower also machines the lower for Colt, Smith and Wesson, and a few others that make impressive firearms. I've been pretty set on starting with a RRA lower. So i'll be watching and learning.

But I'm curious what type of finishes you've been considering? I saw an SOG in Carbine Tan that caught my eye.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:17 AM   #13

I haven't considered any finishes. I, too, have seen many variants. I'll probably just stick with the plain black for the first build.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:43 PM   #14

Well, finally got a "first-list" together of parts and pieces desired, but as luck would have it, it's all hard to find in stock----you all already knew this, of course!

But, I have found some RRA stuff in stock. So, how's this look to you?

(All .223/5.56 NATO)

RRA LPK (might opt for 2 stage trigger upgrade)
RRA Lower Receiver with Magpul CTR stock
ERGO Grip
Elite CAR A4 upper half

Need opinions on what type of handguard/forearm:

What do you think of the new RRA half & half on the Elite Comp?

Also, what type of muzzle brake? Maybe RRA tactical? I want to be able to put on one of the quick detach suppressors.

Anything I left out? (Other than sights. I'll be adding a EOTECH.)

Old 09-29-2011, 04:51 AM   #15

haves you thought of something like an A2 bushmaster dissipator ?

Old 09-30-2011, 12:00 PM   #16
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

jkatl, glad you found this forum and welcome. now this is just my opinion and maybe a suggestion and what i did. i had given a lot of thought on building my own AR15, but instead went with my friends advise and bought my first one, (Bushmaster M4A2 carbine) i've had it almost a year now and really enjoy it. i have decided to build my next one though after owning one that is pretty much stock. now i have more of an idea of what i want to build. i am not trying to discourage you from building your own, just giving you another option. your budget may be that you can't pay for one full price up front and to own one is to buy a piece here and there as you can afford to. i think most of us here have been there at some time. i can understand that, and i am putting in my two cents worth.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:33 PM   #17

Default Considering first AR-15 build

Not trying to steal his thread But I did what hes doing ,When I decided I wanted and AR15 I went shopping and found that for a nice one and we all want a nice one they are around 950.00 to 1000.00 so I did a lot of reading and like jkatl I found this forum .
I ended up with a RRA lower just your basic lower, and a Armalite upper nothing fancy and it's a flat top so adding specialty sights is easier, ready to shoot
600.00 not including optics and mags

Happiness is a Belt Fed Weapon

Old 10-05-2011, 08:50 AM   #18
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32tudor View Post
Not trying to steal his thread But I did what hes doing ,When I decided I wanted and AR15 I went shopping and found that for a nice one and we all want a nice one they are around 950.00 to 1000.00 so I did a lot of reading and like jkatl I found this forum .
I ended up with a RRA lower just your basic lower, and a Armalite upper nothing fancy and it's a flat top so adding specialty sights is easier, ready to shoot
600.00 not including optics and mags
there are some good deals on AR's out there. sometimes you just have to be in the right place at the right time with money in your pocket. i got a very lightly used Bushmaster M4A2 carbine for $800. my budget when i was looking to buy was 1000-1200. i spent 1100 on the rifle and extras. i have been happy with it for nine months now. my next AR rifle i plan to build in 6.8 SPC.