Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Considering custom DIY bolt receiver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 04:55 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

the plan is to make a receiver blueprint that does not require expensive machinery
something that in theory any machine shop could make.

also i want to start weapon prototyping and i dont have a broach or EDM nor do i wish to invest in them if i dont need to

call it an everyone gun and if you wait till SHTF then its probably a moot point anyways this would be a preparation step

Old 11-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #12

Liked 910 Times on 603 Posts
Likes Given: 564

Hmmm, interesting. You have my attention. Questions: What about the barrel? Can't be made, you just going to pick one and order it? What about heat treating? Something tells me, (I don't know for sure) that certain gun parts (bolt & receiver come to mind) are heat treated. Also realistically can't be done by most people.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:51 AM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

idealy it will be using something like 4140 prehard or something else thats reasonably machinable at rc 34-40 and the goal was to use something like a savage barrel since they have "adjustable headspace" so to speak and require much less specialized equipment to install

Old 11-13-2013, 05:05 PM   #14

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Having been (among several other jobs) a machinist for more than 30 years, I fail to see what is easier to machine in that rounded profile you drew. For one thing, the mating parts, if square, are easier to make or otherwise obtain, for mating with the square profile. For another thing, a milling machine (vertical or horizontal), or a drill press, or an arbor press all will do broaching with the simple addition of an inexpensive broaching cutter. Perhaps enhancing one's machining ability and experience is the real ticket to success.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:25 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

i was of the impression i had to buy large keyway broaches and a broaching machine i was unaware a mill could do the job... time to research

Old 11-14-2013, 04:32 AM   #16
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20873 Times on 11863 Posts
Likes Given: 52422

after reading through all of this. i have to think this is a solution looking for a problem that doesn't exist. bolt actions have been working fine for well over a hundred years, just like they are. and looking at your design, i just can't see it offering any advantages over what is already available.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:18 PM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

well until regload pointed out there are other ways to broach a raceway i was trying to do away with broaching or the EDM to open up to more people the ability to make a bolt action from scratch

Old 11-14-2013, 10:43 PM   #18

i still think it's a solution for a problem that doesn't exist. in your reference to a SHTF situation, what about a barrel? what about a bolt and a trigger?

i seriosly doubt a person is going to be able to learn how to machine close tolerance gun parts overnight if SHTF.

hopefully you do understand there is more to just throwing a peice of metal onto a lathe or a milling machine and making an action for rifle in short time.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:42 AM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

yes as i stated this is a prep build for SHTF or gun grab by the government

"guns? what guns you have everything that is registered to me sir"

as well as an expansion of my own know how and future prototyping

Old 11-15-2013, 02:42 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nulreference View Post
yes as i stated this is a prep build for SHTF or gun grab by the government

"guns? what guns you have everything that is registered to me sir"

as well as an expansion of my own know how and future prototyping
umm...none of my firearms are registered and everyone of them was bought legally.

i wonder how many FFL dealers there are in the United States? and with over 5 million gun owners, many with multiple guns, like myself, i wonder how long the search would take for them to determine how many guns i own?

simply put, i have no intentions whatsoever of complying with a national gun registration.
People Like This