Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   DIY Projects (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/)
-   -   Computer programs for gun design? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/computer-programs-gun-design-54943/)

Twpbaseball10 01-07-2012 02:41 AM

Computer programs for gun design?

Anyone know of computer programs that can be used for gun design?
It would be cool to play around with it in my opinion. I seen people put of plans for an ar-15 and change it around a little bit for a different style and I thought this would be a lot of fun to do. They were able to hook it up to a cnc machine and actually make it. I would like to have that capability in case I get the chance to be able to make it one day

I dont know too much about programs that are out there so if any of you know of some good ones let me know. Also what are the prices on them im sure they are expensive.

ScottA 01-07-2012 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twpbaseball10 (Post 669729)
Anyone know of computer programs that can be used for gun design?
It would be cool to play around with it in my opinion. I seen people put of plans for an ar-15 and change it around a little bit for a different style and I thought this would be a lot of fun to do. They were able to hook it up to a cnc machine and actually make it. I would like to have that capability in case I get the chance to be able to make it one day

I dont know too much about programs that are out there so if any of you know of some good ones let me know. Also what are the prices on them im sure they are expensive.

Most likely it's going to be AutoCAD or similar. Expensive and highly technical.

unclebear 01-07-2012 05:27 AM

There are some different version that cost less but AutoCAD is one of the most used, I didn't really want to spend the money to get it so I got an older version in 2D only. Alibre is like autocad but not autocad if that makes sense, you can actually get AutoCAD free if your a student at a recognized collage.

But the 2D program that I use is vequick, but if your wanting to be able to plug it into CNC machine and all that jazz AutoCAD is the way you want to go but like said it's freaking expensive!

Twpbaseball10 01-07-2012 11:05 PM

Im going to have to ask my college if I can get it. I just dont know who to ask

TimL2952 01-08-2012 04:23 AM

I use my dad's SolidWorks and autoCAD to play around for gun design....measure twice, draw once. Found the blueprints for a winchester 94 online and had my brother feed the program through a CNC machine at trade school. Got me a free replacement trigger :D

1stMarine 01-09-2012 03:32 AM

If you're just kooking for something to play around with different setups for various guns on google "pimp my gun" its actually pretty fun to play around with. Its free and you can save your guns as jpegs on your cpu. Don't click on the site though, click on play, or play old version (the older one has different guns and pistols). They have ars, aks, svds, mk14s, mp5s, etc.

Never Forget.

Twpbaseball10 01-12-2012 11:29 PM

How much would one of these programs run me?

1stMarine 01-13-2012 02:18 AM

Upwards of $100, all the way to a couple thousand for commercial grade.

Never Forget.

Twpbaseball10 01-14-2012 04:45 AM

I would like a program where I can upload blueprints and be able to play around with it.. and also feed it through a cnc machine. But im not trying to spend $1,000 on a program

rferguson61 01-18-2012 04:50 PM

I have been using AutoCAD for years. Ill tell you first...if you didnt have someone teach you...you will get very frustrated with the program. I would suggest taking an intro to AutoCAD class at your local community college. You could get a student version copy that way (student version has a watermark that prints around the sides that says "Produced using an Autodesk educational product" that cannot be removed.) If you really don't want to take the class and think youll be okay...go to Ebay. You can buy educational versions on there between $5 and $30. If you decide to go that route...before you buy email the seller and ask where the key is good for. The first time I did that I got sent a key fir Albania and I had to find an address online so I clipper use it. If you want to try it before you buy it...Autodesk offers 30 day trials of all their products. Google AutoCAD and download the trial from their site.