complete redo of a first run browning hi-power

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > complete redo of a first run browning hi-power

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2011, 10:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default complete redo of a first run browning hi-power

i found this hand gun in a basement of a relative whos husband was in world war 2 the gun is lets just say in need of alot of tlc lots of build up to the point where theres a half inch of build up in some places but the steel looks to be in great condition i was so sad still had a full mag in it from the 40's i took it to my gun smith he told me in the shape its in its not worth much even with its age but if where to be redone it could be worth a bit of course im going to go completely original period grips ive ordered a new spring set now as for the gun its self i was thinking of having it glass bead blasted so i can re blue it but not sure any suggestions im stoked its going to be nice

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-25-2011, 11:45 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

If you don't mind a bit of a wait and spending some money, this is the outfit that I'd send a family heirloom pistol to. Ford's Custom Gun Refinishing - Ford's Desert Eagle Sights

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 05-12-2011, 06:25 AM   #3

Liked 764 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 240

I think it means more to fix up a family gun by a family member. By all means do it yourself, just go slow and careful. the HP is a fine gun.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:02 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9560 Times on 4114 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Assuming that this is not "patina", but significant rust- get a can of Kroil. It is made by Kano Labs, if you cannot find it locally, get on the internet. remove grips. Soak entire pistol in a generous slather of Kroil, wrap in plastic, let set for a day.

This is the best penetrating oil I have ever seen. beats PB Blaster. After it has soaked, start with a COPPER pot scrubber, like Chore Boy- or fine BRONZE wool (Chore Boy easier to find). Do wear gloves with Kroil.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.