Last night was a banner night for this old shotgun. A few things of note took place. First of all since this gun was destroyed by a raccoon and it pitted the receiver and lever (and raised hell on the wood) I opted to mark the history of the gun into that same receiver. I was originally going to mark both sides but opted for just one side.
I masked off an area and sprayed it with flat, white spray paint.
Then I placed tape over the paint and drew in the image I wanted on the receiver. I painted the receiver white so I could see the pencil lines.
I used a fine pointed diamond bit in my dremmel to take away the black baking lacquer and shine up the aluminum underneath.
Then I peeled away the tape and washed away the white paint with acetone leaving the tribute to the masked bandit etched into the metal.
I assembled all the metal parts and attached the finished wood. For now I have the pitted barrel on the gun just for the pictures.
The stippling worked out very well.
The cracked stock is repaired and looks a bit better than before.
This gun has come a long way from the coffee can.
Also last night I won an Ebay Auction for a replacement barrel for this gun in the buckbuster configuration (with front and rear rifle sights) So this old gun can once again take to the deer woods. (once I recondition the barrel and reblue it) The barrel set me back $128 but since I got the gun for nothing, It all works out in the end. Here are the images from the Ebay Auction.
With this one done its time to move onto a gun with some sentimental value to me. A 1940 Winchester model 37. Its my fatherís gun and the first shotgun I ever fired. Time to start a new restoration thread for this rusty mule kicker.