Client's Rifle - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Client's Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 01:53 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 374 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuraCoater
Thanks, I appreciate it.

That is the flux capacitor!
Wow! A gun that will take you back to the future.
Seriously though, cool looking rifle!

NEVER TAKE A SLEEPING PILL AND A LAXATIVE IN THE SAME NIGHT

Old 10-30-2012, 01:08 PM   #12

Liked 45 Times on 27 Posts

Request of his...

Couple other neat photos...

Plaque mounted inside the cutsom cut Pelican 1750 case to lug this beast around...

Old 10-30-2012, 01:11 PM   #13

As a side note, this system can be fired in both single shot and semi-auto mode. It utilizes an adjustable JP gas block and future versions will have a small hole drilled out in the chassis for which an extended control knob will be located.

The user will be able to adjust the gas on the fly externally with nothing more than their fingers.

This is an older snapshot from our CAD software when the original idea was to simply use a hex key from the outside. we have since decided to make it more of a "knob" as mentioned for tool-less operation.

Last edited by DuraCoater; 10-30-2012 at 01:13 PM.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:30 AM   #14

Liked 2459 Times on 1595 Posts

Effing awesome! I wish I had the time to do this, as a machinist that brings a gun Boner on! (symbolism)

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 10-31-2012, 05:31 PM   #15

Well I cannot take credit for the actual machining portion.

I am simply the idea maker, the guy bringing it to life in CAD type software, and ultimately the tester and finisher.

All the raw work is handled by a machine shop we partner with.

Edit: I remember first time I took it to the range. I put my range box (quite heavy) behind the stock on the wooden bench. Tied a string to the trigger. Stood behind the range box (like a barrier), one palm on it - preparing to put forward weight on it - and then pulling the string with my free hand.

Thankfully all I felt was a light thud. After three more light thuds I ditched the overly paranoid act and sat down and started having fun. haha

Old 11-29-2012, 12:45 AM   #16

Need a youtube of one at work.
nice job .

Old 11-29-2012, 02:57 AM   #17

Ask and you shall receive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjaorUvAEzE&feature=youtu.be

Old 11-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #18

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I understand wanting to do semi and single. But unless that bolt locks during single it seems a little pointless to me. It's not helping at all. Was I mistaken when I saw the bolt jump back during single shooting? And what sort of things are you thinking about doing to combat that?

If you've got one foot in yesterday, and the other in tomorrow, than you're pissing on today.
-unknown-

Old 11-29-2012, 02:57 PM   #19

The BCG does not move backwards when single shot operation is currently being used. Just like a bolt action (short of pulling up and back in most cases) the BCG must be manually pulled back to extract the spent cartridge and load in a fresh one.

While not the same as an actual bolt action rifle, the advantages in a system like this is when the shot is fired, you eliminate movement that would normally occur as the BCG extracts the round just ignited and loads a new one. All in a blink of an eye.

Once again, it does not mimic a traditional bolt action performance wise, but there is a good spike in stability when shooting in this mode of operation.

And it also makes brass collection easier. haha!

Old 11-29-2012, 03:09 PM   #20

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrthWhytHype View Post
I understand wanting to do semi and single. But unless that bolt locks during single it seems a little pointless to me. It's not helping at all. Was I mistaken when I saw the bolt jump back during single shooting? And what sort of things are you thinking about doing to combat that?
Pay very close attention to the rotating bolt and the gas operation.
With the gas turned off, there is no movement, as the bolt is rotated and locked into place. It's the gas, forcing the carrier rearward, engaging the cam pin, and thus unlocking the bolt to disengage it.

The only reason it can function in single shot this way is because the T-handle on the top and/or the external charging handle attached to the bolt carrier replace the need for the gas, making it manually operated.