Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Cheap Gun Safe Lights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2014, 06:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 35 Times on 22 Posts

Default Cheap Gun Safe Lights

Hey guys, I found a great deal on a new safe last week and decided to upgrade. It's exactly the same as my current safe except twice as big.

I also wanted to make a set of lights for it so I could see better but, I wanted to keep it cheap. I ordered a 5m strip of 5150 LEDs for $11 on EBay and a $4 switch from Radio Shack. I also utilized a 12v power supply from an old toy/game. If you can solder, this is the way to go. Lots of light. Low cost.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Firearms Talk mobile app

Last edited by Budasac; 03-04-2014 at 06:58 PM.
TheHateCamel Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-04-2014, 06:55 PM   #2

Liked 845 Times on 563 Posts
Likes Given: 512

Seriously impressive results for $15. If you don't know how to solder, it would be worth you while to learn.

I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:23 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1459 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

That looks really good. I'm quite impressed.

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Old 03-04-2014, 08:15 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 531 Times on 323 Posts
Likes Given: 211

I did the same thing except to give the wife under counter lighting. Mine was a little more cause I had to buy a 12v "computer" transformer off eBay too.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 03-04-2014, 08:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Seriously impressive results for $15. If you don't know how to solder, it would be worth you while to learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by string1946 View Post
That looks really good. I'm quite impressed.

Thanks guys. You certainly can't beat the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa35jsf View Post
I did the same thing except to give the wife under counter lighting. Mine was a little more cause I had to buy a 12v "computer" transformer off eBay too.
Yeah, the transformer is the most expensive part but, just about everyone has a few laying around if they really look. Old toys, cordless phones, and of course computers.

If you want to hardwire them to a 110v switch you can use any of the cheap transformers for low voltage lights at any of the big box stores.

I've seen them used for display cases, steps in restaurants/bars, under cabinets, etc. I actually stumbled onto them when looking for Rock Lights for my Jeep. I bought a strip of waterproof LEDs and ran them under the frame on each side to light up under the jeep when off road so a spotter can see.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:36 AM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Very nice. I was wanting to do something like this soon. Perfect timing. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 03-06-2014, 12:42 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 531 Times on 323 Posts
Likes Given: 211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac View Post
Thanks guys. You certainly can't beat the price.

Yeah, the transformer is the most expensive part but, just about everyone has a few laying around if they really look. Old toys, cordless phones, and of course computers.

If you want to hardwire them to a 110v switch you can use any of the cheap transformers for low voltage lights at any of the big box stores.

I've seen them used for display cases, steps in restaurants/bars, under cabinets, etc. I actually stumbled onto them when looking for Rock Lights for my Jeep. I bought a strip of waterproof LEDs and ran them under the frame on each side to light up under the jeep when off road so a spotter can see.

What I did was use a 110v rocker switch that plugged into the wall and had a plug output. Then I found an $8 transformer on eBay by typing in 12 volt computer transformer. After that it was just snip and solder, snip and solder, repeat.

If I were to do this to a safe then I would probably use a sealed 12v lead acid battery or something else put into a small ammo can; just so I wouldn't have to run wires into and out of the safe. With those LED's, even the full 5 meter long strand only pulls 3 amps.

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 03-06-2014, 12:48 PM   #8

Liked 845 Times on 563 Posts
Likes Given: 512

Some safes have service pass throughs for electricity, USB cables, etc. I personally would probably drill the smallest hole possible to get in with the cord. Actually, lighting and dehumidifiers are so popular nowadays that there is not really a reason EVERY safe shouldn't come with a way to get cords inside...

I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:49 PM   #9

I did have them set up with a battery for a little while on my last safe but it was just a pain. There is already a spot on the back of the safe to pass wires through, I just had to drill through the fire proofing. I used a 12v plug in transformer and ran the low voltage line through the safe to the switch. The lights turn off as soon as the lock is engaged and back on when the lock opens.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:09 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1749 Times on 904 Posts
Likes Given: 346

the lighting makes it clear that there is plenty of room for more firearms!