Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   DIY Projects (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/)
-   -   Changing the Lever on a Henry (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/changing-lever-henry-39002/)

whistlindixie 02-26-2011 03:46 AM

Changing the Lever on a Henry

Want to change out a girly lever on a henry for a large loop lever. Whats the difficulty level on that?

stalkingbear 02-27-2011 06:39 PM

It's easy to do IF you can obtain the large loop from Henry. Simply remove the factory lever & replace with the big lever.

russ 02-27-2011 07:34 PM

We did it on my dad's Golden Boy. Just take your time and pay attention to the details.

whistlindixie 02-27-2011 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stalkingbear (Post 454523)
It's easy to do IF you can obtain the large loop from Henry. Simply remove the factory lever & replace with the big lever.

Have you had trouble with this in the past?

CA357 02-27-2011 11:45 PM

I don't know about the Henry, but on a Marlin, it's just one bolt to remove and then reinsert.

whistlindixie 03-02-2011 03:13 AM

OOOOH! So easy a caveman could do it. :D

whistlindixie 03-13-2011 03:20 PM

A technical note for anyone who may find this thread in the future:
Difficulty is a two (on a scale of 1-5, 5 being the most complicated work only to be done by those trained and probably requiring specialty tools)
Your new lever will come with un-detailed directions
Tools you'll need-
1. Craftsman 1/4 in flathead screwdriver
2. a hex wrench (for pushing the the pins out. I actually used a .22 snap cap on the locking bar :p )
These henry's are not complicated machines (as some of the best and most reliable machines go), they have relatively loose tolerances, HOWEVER, there is a little slot that the top end of the lever assembly slides into, if you can't get the snap cap to feed during a function test, you should check that you installed the end into the right slot.
I recommend cycling the action a couple times while looking into the guts of it BEFORE disassembly. Pay particular attention to the locking bar. If you're really careful you may take a little video on your digital camera.
And finally, before you button your project up, make sure everything has a new light coat of CLP.

mlowder 10-14-2012 05:50 PM

Problem Installing Large Loop Lever on Henry

1 Attachment(s)
I have completed the first five steps to install my Henry 22 magnum Golden Boy rifle large loop lever, but step 6 has me stumped. Where is bolt 35 located?
I am new to the forum and I would really appreciate help from Russ or anyone? Finally, Got It Installed. That page of instructions needed more details.
It came to me that the #35 bolt was the main rifle black bolt so I removed it. I used a nail punch to puch out those two pins. If you are planning on doing
the lever swap, notice the position of the Locking Bar before you remove it. Then when you push the pin out notice the round extension on the front of the
Locking Bar; the round extension goes under the lever extension. Of course, you have those two springs that go beneath the Locking Bar.
Take a look at my attachment for directions.