Chambering a blank 308 barrel in 7,62 x 54R - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Chambering a blank 308 barrel in 7,62 x 54R

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 04:52 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by h-bkram View Post
Hello.

I have a new blank 308 barrel and I have an original Clymer 7,62 x 54R reamer.
Now I'm wondering if I can get this 308 barrel chambered in 7,62 x 54R.
Or do I have to modify this reamer.

Any advice and/or sugestion is welcome.
I did this with a Mosin receiver I bought a few years back and it sat in my workshop drawer since it arrived. I found a heavy target profile barrel blank at a gun shop while I was travelling last year to pick up some Garand parts. Paid like 20 bucks for it. I ordered a complete sniper bolt. Lapping the lugs was the next step. A trip to my machinist found the receiver trimmed and face lapped. The front ring was drilled and tapped for scope base. The barrel was threaded, gently contoured, and tightened. Final head spacing was uneventful using a hand turned reamer. Adding a muzzle brake seemed logical. Then a trip to www.boydsgunstocks.com netted a laminated thumb hole blank that caused me no small amount of sweat and tears to inlet, but was finished finally. A solid bedding job with 0000 steel wool saturated with JB Weld and torqued into place, full length, and allowed to cure for 2 full weeks before taking it apart. A working over of the bore with polishing media netted a slicker'n a baby's butt bore ride for the bullets. A 6-24x52 varmint scope sitting in the 30mm rings topped it off, with a Harris bi-pod providing a stable platform. Then a trip to the loading bench with a collection of once fired Norma brass procured in a trade. Using some WC-846 I got from Pat's in Ohio and Remington Mag Rifle primers all assembled in a lowly Lee Loader. A quick trip to the back porch, and back to the loading bench a few times... The final analysis being...1/2MOA is possible with the 7.62x54R using 172gr .308's...I know, I know....why drop that $300 in parts and labor in a split ring WW1 battle rifle receiver...the answer is, it's one of a kind, and it shoots great. Sure, you can do the same thing with Remington, Winchester, Savage...but the fun is creating something useful and original. So, go for it...just remember to correctly stamp the barrel. I did mine with a ----308x54R(DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CHAMBER 7.62X54R)-----

Last edited by TexasPatriot; 12-09-2010 at 04:55 PM.

Old 12-11-2010, 04:21 PM   #12

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPatriot View Post
I did this with a Mosin receiver I bought a few years back and it sat in my workshop drawer since it arrived. I found a heavy target profile barrel blank at a gun shop while I was travelling last year to pick up some Garand parts. Paid like 20 bucks for it. I ordered a complete sniper bolt. Lapping the lugs was the next step. A trip to my machinist found the receiver trimmed and face lapped. The front ring was drilled and tapped for scope base. The barrel was threaded, gently contoured, and tightened. Final head spacing was uneventful using a hand turned reamer. Adding a muzzle brake seemed logical. Then a trip to BOYDS The World's Foremost Supplier of Hardwood Gunstocks. netted a laminated thumb hole blank that caused me no small amount of sweat and tears to inlet, but was finished finally. A solid bedding job with 0000 steel wool saturated with JB Weld and torqued into place, full length, and allowed to cure for 2 full weeks before taking it apart. A working over of the bore with polishing media netted a slicker'n a baby's butt bore ride for the bullets. A 6-24x52 varmint scope sitting in the 30mm rings topped it off, with a Harris bi-pod providing a stable platform. Then a trip to the loading bench with a collection of once fired Norma brass procured in a trade. Using some WC-846 I got from Pat's in Ohio and Remington Mag Rifle primers all assembled in a lowly Lee Loader. A quick trip to the back porch, and back to the loading bench a few times... The final analysis being...1/2MOA is possible with the 7.62x54R using 172gr .308's...I know, I know....why drop that $300 in parts and labor in a split ring WW1 battle rifle receiver...the answer is, it's one of a kind, and it shoots great. Sure, you can do the same thing with Remington, Winchester, Savage...but the fun is creating something useful and original. So, go for it...just remember to correctly stamp the barrel. I did mine with a ----308x54R(DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CHAMBER 7.62X54R)-----
Let's see some pics, TP. Sounds like a fun project.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 12-12-2010, 12:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Let's see some pics, TP. Sounds like a fun project.
I wish I could, but like a retard, I traded it a couple years back for a Springfield Armory 1911.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:11 PM   #14

Quote:
I wish I could, but like a retard, I traded it a couple years back for a Springfield Armory 1911.
Bummer. Would you mind building another one?

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 12-12-2010, 10:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Bummer. Would you mind building another one?
I could do that

Old 12-12-2010, 10:43 PM   #16

Quote:
I could do that
Perfect! Please start it soon, and post plenty of pics.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

Old 12-13-2010, 06:27 AM   #17

Quote:
Perfect! Please start it soon, and post plenty of pics.
I'll keep an eye out for another stripped receiver and when time/funds permit, start a posting. Right now, I'm intimately involved with a 6.5 Grendel on a TNW platform. Boring, but I have been curious about TNW's stuff for a while. Gonna have to use an Alexander barrel, but wish TNW made one...

Old 12-13-2010, 01:06 PM   #18

Quote:
I'll keep an eye out for another stripped receiver and when time/funds permit, start a posting. Right now, I'm intimately involved with a 6.5 Grendel on a TNW platform. Boring, but I have been curious about TNW's stuff for a while. Gonna have to use an Alexander barrel, but wish TNW made one...
Alexander gets theirs from Shilen. My shooting partner had problems with his bulging cases and it took over a year for Alexander to get him a new barrel. Their CS was deplorable.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

Old 12-14-2010, 02:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Alexander gets theirs from Shilen. My shooting partner had problems with his bulging cases and it took over a year for Alexander to get him a new barrel. Their CS was deplorable.
That would be indicative of an oversized chamber, or overcharged reloads. Did anyone ever pinpoint the exact problem? The only time I've ever experienced bulged cases was when I was running really hot loads through commercial 98 Mauser chambered in .458 Win Mag and then it was just below the point of blowing primer pockets. If he is reloading, he may want to double check his powder handling equipment, if factory loads, a letter to whoever loaded the things may be in order. Unless Shilen has taken leave of their collective senses and are using out of spec/over sized reamers. I've shot many of their barrels in the past and never had a problem with the quality of their product.But, anything is possible. Let me know what they found out in the end equation....thanks!

Old 12-14-2010, 03:30 PM   #20

Quote:
That would be indicative of an oversized chamber, or overcharged reloads. Did anyone ever pinpoint the exact problem? The only time I've ever experienced bulged cases was when I was running really hot loads through commercial 98 Mauser chambered in .458 Win Mag and then it was just below the point of blowing primer pockets. If he is reloading, he may want to double check his powder handling equipment, if factory loads, a letter to whoever loaded the things may be in order. Unless Shilen has taken leave of their collective senses and are using out of spec/over sized reamers. I've shot many of their barrels in the past and never had a problem with the quality of their product.But, anything is possible. Let me know what they found out in the end equation....thanks!
It was a bad barrel. Alexander said they had received a bad batch from Shilen.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI