can you checker a laminate stock yourself?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > can you checker a laminate stock yourself?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2014, 05:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 419 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 865

Default can you checker a laminate stock yourself?

Hey guys, I'm thinking about getting a boyds laminate stock for my Marlin XL7. I know I want checkering on it, but I've been wanting to try checkering a stock myself, and the tools would be almost the same price as it would be to have boyds checker it themselves. I just had surgery and have am going to have alot of time on my hands for the next few months while I recover and then prepare to ship out to boot camp. Does anyone know if you can checker your own laminated stock, or would it mess up the finish on it? Thanks in advance

Franklin

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-09-2014, 05:17 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin1995 View Post
Hey guys, I'm thinking about getting a boyds laminate stock for my Marlin XL7. I know I want checkering on it, but I've been wanting to try checkering a stock myself, and the tools would be almost the same price as it would be to have boyds checker it themselves. I just had surgery and have am going to have alot of time on my hands for the next few months while I recover and then prepare to ship out to boot camp. Does anyone know if you can checker your own laminated stock, or would it mess up the finish on it? Thanks in advance

Franklin
check out Brownell's. they sell the tools needed to do checkering plus books on doing the checkering. but also know that checkering is more an art than just a skill. if it were me, i'd find some wood scraps of some sort to practice on before attempting to do a stock.

i have a Boyd's laminated stock i bought for my XS7 and they all come finished. if you checker it, then it would needed to be resealed after finishing the checkering. my suggestion is once you commit yourself to checkering it would be to sand the entire stock down to remove the finish, do the checkering pattern, then refinish the stock with some sort of stain or sealer to seal it.

BTW, i am pleased with my Boyd's on my Marlin XS7 andit was my second one. they are top notch laminated stocks and decently priced.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:26 PM   #3

I was already planning on practicing on scraps before working on a real stock. And I kinda figured I'd have to reseal it afterwards. That almost seems like a waste of purchasing a laminated stock just to refinish it later. But i'm glad that you like your boyd's stock. That definitely reassured me of my choice. Thanks Axxe

Franklin

Old 01-09-2014, 05:31 PM   #4

Quote:
I was already planning on practicing on scraps before working on a real stock. And I kinda figured I'd have to reseal it afterwards. That almost seems like a waste of purchasing a laminated stock just to refinish it later. But i'm glad that you like your boyd's stock. That definitely reassured me of my choice. Thanks Axxe

Franklin
Boyd's does offer some of their stocks unfinished, i am just not sure if they offer one unfinished for the X7 series or not.

contact Boyd's. they are also a vendor here on this forum as well. they may be able to sell you one if requested that is unfinished. i am thinking another member here did request a certain style of stock from them and wanted it unfinished and they sent him one. wouldn't hurt to ask them.

if so, then you would just finish it once you did the checkering to it.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:51 PM   #5

Liked 253 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 220

I tried checkering myself quite a few years ago. It is possible but it has a pretty steep learning curve. I learned that while I enjoy building stocks, I'd rather watch paint dry than have to checker them...

Seriously, you may love it, or not. Its all personal preference.

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-17-2014, 11:06 PM   #6

Franklin, i went on their website and if a stock is finished for $10 you can request it to be unfinished.

Old 01-18-2014, 01:33 AM   #7
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 575

I always buy all my Boyd's stocks unfinished. I don't care for the finish they put on them,and I also like to shape them to fit my hands/fingers perfectly.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-18-2014, 06:02 PM   #8

Alright thank you guys for the info! I'm gonna have to save up a little bit more and then buy this thing

Old 01-18-2014, 06:37 PM   #9

Liked 95 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 138

Quote:

Franklin
I got a tour of the factory here in Maine that produces the laminated stocks for Ruger and Mossberg and was able to see how they are made. I don't see why you couldn't checker them, but it may not turn out like regular wood because of the sheets of laminate used to produce them. I don't remember seeing any checkered stocks on display and have never seen one checkered.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineMan View Post
I got a tour of the factory here in Maine that produces the laminated stocks for Ruger and Mossberg and was able to see how they are made. I don't see why you couldn't checker them, but it may not turn out like regular wood because of the sheets of laminate used to produce them. I don't remember seeing any checkered stocks on display and have never seen one checkered.
Boyd's offers checkering on their stocks as an option. most checkering done now on rifle stcoks is done by pressing it into the grain of the wood, not by cutting like is done with checkering tools. cutting checkering into wood stocks is usually reserved to custom made rifles with high dollar wood stocks. it usually costs quite a bit due to the amount of work and time involved.