Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Caladbolg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2009, 05:17 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Caladbolg

Well, I have been away a while. In that time I finally got to MEPS, I leave for Fort Campbell on May 1. During this time I acqired a new rifle. I call it Caladbolg or "Hard Lightning". It is a DPMS with a 1:9 inch twist, bull barrel and the stocks that I put on them are from UTG. After this I can definitely say that I have a love hate relationship with the IRS. With this bad boy I am going to get enough practice to get a 40 on my next rifle qual.
hammer1.jpg
hammer2.jpg
hammer3.jpg
hammer4.jpg

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud in "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"

"My dear boy, I love hearing my relations abused. It is the only thing that makes me put up with them at all. Relations are simply a tedious pack of people, who haven’t got the remotest knowledge of how to live, nor the smallest instinct about when to die."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-26-2009, 10:46 PM   #2

Wow, I thought that I would get at least a couple of envious people drooling on their computer over this one.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud in "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"

"My dear boy, I love hearing my relations abused. It is the only thing that makes me put up with them at all. Relations are simply a tedious pack of people, who haven’t got the remotest knowledge of how to live, nor the smallest instinct about when to die."

Old 03-26-2009, 11:01 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

That's a real nice piece you got there McNabb - I don't know how I missed it the first time, unless it was posted while I was at work and couldn't see the photos, but that looks like one stout monster.

What the diameter on that barrel .910?

You ought to be able to shoot that big bastard all day without it heating up. Looks like you went with the 20" for practical/tactical purposes?

Where's your sling soldier??

Looks Good, but it's up since the 18th and NO RANGE REPORT?!?!?!

JD

Old 03-26-2009, 11:58 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2554 Times on 1341 Posts
Likes Given: 192

What, no dust cover? That's just not right. Trigger does not look stock/GI.

Pretty sweet.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-27-2009, 12:28 AM   #5

No. No dust cover. No forward assist either. From what I have fired from it, it doesn't need one really. I was thinking about looking into having the barrel threaded though, and maybe a new upper reciever to take care of the lack of a dust cover and forward assist.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:56 AM   #6

It looks really good. Nice work!

Old 03-29-2009, 05:35 AM   #7

The barrel is 16 inches. I sighted it in today, I got inch groups at 100 meters, that is with a bench rest mind you.

Last edited by McNabb11b; 03-29-2009 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Typo

Old 03-29-2009, 09:40 PM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNabb11b View Post
The barrel is 16 inches. I sighted it in today, I got inch groups at 100 meters, that is with a bench rest mind you.
Range Report? Photos? Operation? Problems?

Sounds like you have a tack driver there, what's she weigh in at with that bull barrel?

JD

Old 03-30-2009, 02:28 AM   #9

She is ten pounds and really front heavy. About as much recoil as a 22 LR.
I didn't take photos, I will next time. No problems, except from the cheap magazines that it came with. Military surplus mags work wonders though. I was using plastic cased PCA hollowpoints.
ar22316.jpg
Basically it will take care of zombies in both close quarters and out to 300m. It is about a 1 1/2 inch group at 300.