Building a cabinet
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Building a cabinet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2011, 01:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default Building a cabinet

I have a few long guns now and starting to run out of space. I was thinking about building cabinet in to a wall in my basement. But I am in Northern Indiana and in the summer the basement gets kinda damp. So thinking of turning my closet in to a cabinet. I don't have a extra $1,000 so buying a safe is out of the question.

Plan is simple.
The closet is on the second floor and on a out side corner so unless you have a ladder you can't get thru the out side.
Dead bolt on door
Back wall with slots for long gun with carpet
Some kind of locking bar to keep them long guns in place
shelf with ammo

It will keep the kids out and slow any body down. Giving police time to respond to the house alarm.

Might think about beefing up the door but the house is 75+ years old so they are real wood not cheap hollow crap.

Anyone else done this? I did a search and only found 2 others but has to be more.

Last edited by warhawk77; 08-31-2011 at 01:29 AM. Reason: added info

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-31-2011, 04:17 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

warhawk, i did something very similar in the closet in my office. the way i did my locking was with a cable and lock. now i have a concrete slab, so drilled and put in eyebolts in the holes and fasten the cable to the eyebolts. another thought, if you have bolt actions, remove the bolts and store them somewhere else. no bolt, gun is pretty much useless! i store mine in a small safe hidden in my garage. only problem is you probably have wooden flooring, the anchoring to the floor would have to be done differently than the way i did it. i like you didn't have a thousand dollars to buy a safe, so i had to be a little creative. another suggestion, record the serial numbers and take pictures and put them on file with your insurance company, just in case some low-life, bottom-feeding POS does happen to break in and steal your guns, that is if he doesn't get shot attempting to steal them!

Old 08-31-2011, 05:06 AM   #3

Liked 743 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 232

You might consider building a false wall in the back or one side of the closet to hide your guns. A lock on a closet just draws attention to it.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
You might consider building a false wall in the back or one side of the closet to hide your guns. A lock on a closet just draws attention to it.
I did think about that just need to find a diff place.

Do you guys think a attic would get to hot? We have a small attic that you access with a door that looks like a closet

Axxe55@ I do have wood floors in the closet but basement is concrete. Just worried about moisture

I have all the s/n on a document but need to take pics.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhawk77 View Post
I did think about that just need to find a diff place.

Do you guys think a attic would get to hot? We have a small attic that you access with a door that looks like a closet

Axxe55@ I do have wood floors in the closet but basement is concrete. Just worried about moisture

I have all the s/n on a document but need to take pics.
the basement is doable, but as you said moisture is a problem. first thing is the storage area would have to be sealed tightly. doors or opening would need some type of weatherstripping to seal out moisture. the next thing would be some sort of dessicant or dehumidifier to keep any residual moisture out. another option would be to climate controll the entire basement, then you could build a work area and reloading area for your guns!

Old 09-01-2011, 11:20 AM   #6

Looking around the house and I have a option to build a fake wall in the basement. It will give me 3'x6' of storage space if I use it all.

I will have to talk to someone better with wood working then I am and see if he could make it hide able.

The basement is finished and we normally run a dehumidifier all spring/ summer and it fills up in about 30 hours. So don't think its much worse then other basements. The winter the furnace runs drys out everything

Old 09-02-2011, 05:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhawk77 View Post
Looking around the house and I have a option to build a fake wall in the basement. It will give me 3'x6' of storage space if I use it all.

I will have to talk to someone better with wood working then I am and see if he could make it hide able.

The basement is finished and we normally run a dehumidifier all spring/ summer and it fills up in about 30 hours. So don't think its much worse then other basements. The winter the furnace runs drys out everything
like i said before, weatherstrip the doors and possibly have separate dehumidifier for the gun storage area. my closet area is about 30" deep and about 7' long. i built a gunrack into the back wall and some shelves on one end for the ammo and accessories. the rack can easily hold 15 rifles.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:23 PM   #8
hmh

Liked 148 Times on 102 Posts

Just a thought most safes use Sheetrock between the metal for fire protection. The rating on the safe is how many layers of Sheetrock.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmh View Post
Just a thought most safes use Sheetrock between the metal for fire protection. The rating on the safe is how many layers of Sheetrock.
it's not regular sheetrock, it's fire rated sheetrock and it's about three times the price of regular sheetrock.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:22 PM   #10
hmh

Liked 148 Times on 102 Posts

Sheet rock will not burn just the paper. The fire rated has been measured. 5/8 sheet rock is rated. If there is an x on it then it is rated you can. You can google to find thickness to fire ratting.