Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > building an AR.........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2009, 07:18 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default building an AR.........

so i'm wantin to build an AR from the ground up i guess you could say. lookin for some help since i have never taken down an ar or handled one much.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-17-2009, 01:57 PM   #2

I found the book The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide by Kuleck & McKee to be a great resource. There is a series of AR-15 assembly videos on Brownells web site that are very good as well. I believe they sell these on a DVD, but it's just as easy to watch them on the web IMO.

Beyond that, be prepared to spend a lot of time looking for components, especially if you want to get reasonable prices. Some things are still very hard to find nowadays, and prices are still pretty crazy. Lowers and lower parts kits seem a little easier to come by than they were a few months back, but barrels, bolts and BCGs are still scarce.

Search through some past topics here on FT - a lot of good advice has been passed down.

Good luck. Let us know if you have some specific questions.

Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation

Old 05-17-2009, 02:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
I found the book The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide by Kuleck & McKee to be a great resource. There is a series of AR-15 assembly videos on Brownells web site that are very good as well. I believe they sell these on a DVD, but it's just as easy to watch them on the web IMO.

Beyond that, be prepared to spend a lot of time looking for components, especially if you want to get reasonable prices. Some things are still very hard to find nowadays, and prices are still pretty crazy. Lowers and lower parts kits seem a little easier to come by than they were a few months back, but barrels, bolts and BCGs are still scarce.

Search through some past topics here on FT - a lot of good advice has been passed down.

Good luck. Let us know if you have some specific questions.
I can second the recommendation about the Brownell videos, they are very helpful. I assembled mine with a DoubleStar lower and a Del-Ton (Del-Ton, Inc. A complete line of AR-15 Rifles, AR 15 Parts and AR15 Accessories.) "kit." The whole project was a piece of cake --- I posted the build process here. JD and others here are invaluable sources of assistance and guidance BTW, we are fortunate.

---------------------------
John - Miami
KJ4NSE
Member NRA | GCO | GOA | SAF | GCA | ARRL
Why would God invent a thing like Whiskey? To keep the Irish from ruling the world of course.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:29 PM   #4

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Brownells has a free video, online, called AR15 builder. It is a step-by-step "how to" on assembling an EBR. Brownells Launches AR-15 Builder Website

Here's Mine. I started last Christmas with a Bushmaster lower, which was a gift from my son. AR "flat top" uppers are back ordered for about a year, so you may have to get a carry handle and convert it later when the parts supply loosens up a bit.
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 06-09-2009, 09:44 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You could also check this link in the forums above....

AR-Build

Lots of information there...

Old 06-09-2009, 11:10 PM   #6

Liked 61 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Get your lower, parts kit, stock, and click on this link.

http://www.lifelibertyetc.com/RangeBag/video/LLE_AR15StrippedLower.wmv

Pop on an complete upper & your ready to shoot.

This is what I did it took me about 30 min. I was going slow.