Blackhawk Lightning - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects >

Blackhawk Lightning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2014, 12:07 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharps40 View Post
Just tryin to decide whether to rust blue or boil it in drain cleaner.
I was gonna go the drain cleaner route. I believe Texaswoodworker is rust blueing a gun of his right this moment. I'm sure he'll post up a report on it when he's done.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:48 AM   #12
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

very interesting project. looking forward to seeing it finished too!

looks good so far and some impressive work so far.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:18 AM   #13

Liked 106 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I mostly do the rust bluing with pilkingtons. Use LMF for brown or black on muzzleloaders. Been wantin to get back to caustic bluing but balking at the expense but with the amount of work rust bluing a revolver entails....caustic is better for revolvers.

This Ruger might be the experiment for small batch caustic bluing. Revolvers are difficult to rust blue with all the contours, making carding so much more work than rifle actions and barrels. And I have another S&W Jframe flat latch to shim and reblue.....so, methinks home hot blue is in the near future.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:24 AM   #14

The new model trigger return springs are in. So far I'm not happy with them, Rugers replacement springs are poorly wound and bendable. Shoulda bought wolf.

At this point I'm out tomorrow for some fuel line for the truck so I'll stop and see if I can get a chunk of 5/16" key stock for making a plunger well, old model style and mull over whether I want to add a bowen style mod to the old model trigger to use the new model trigger return spring.

But at least I have two trigger return options, both good. I'm kinda leanin toward makin up the old model spring and plunger set up since its much more tuneable and I have excellent quality spring stock I can put in to adjust the pull.

Boy, big difference between 1967 good springs and what I got from the ruger parts house today. Ouch....no wonder folks swap out springs on new rugers....If all new ruger springs are like one of the two I pulled outta the package, then rugers have become the turd in the punch bowl for springin!

Last edited by Sharps40; 03-15-2014 at 12:27 AM.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:41 AM   #15

Got some work to do this weekend.

Shorten grip to frame screws slightly.....brass frame has more deeply recessed screw head counter bores and the screws bottom in the receiver.

Finalize the trigger return spring mechanism. I will very likely install the filler block and set up a spring and plunger ala OMBH....this seems the best and most tunable trigger assembly.

Finalize fit of the brass grip frame to the receiver, at the rear tangs.

Check the ejector and decide if I want to shorten it and the barrel or roll with 5" of barrel as is. I thinking the gun might look a bet better balanced at 3.5 to 4" of barrel.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:46 PM   #16

Well, there's no brass key stock within a million miles of North Carolina......guess I'll haveta mail order. But I had some left over aluminum callin out like a helper lookin for a project so, sawed off a chunk a bit over 5/16" square and about 1 1/4" long. Center drilled it......cross drilled it....thinned and tapered it and ...... it fits in as the filler blank to house a spring and plunger to keep the trigger under control.

Blackhawk Lightning - DIY Projects

The center hole I drilled is .190" diameter and the spring I chose is somewhat smaller than that in diameter. Still too long but I'll trim it later after makin up a plunger for the end of it.

For now, the cross pin is undersized. I'll pin it with a fitting piece of drill rod later.

Looking down from above, I tapered the rear down and short. There has to be clearance for the hammer spring and strut and no need to have this hunk of metal in the way. Might be some light fitting later....for now, just the basic install.

Once a plunger is made up, the new trigger filler block will hold it all in place providing the same type of trigger return capability as you can see on the 3 Screw.

And just in case I get real energetic....this here maple is supereyebunger curly.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:03 PM   #17

Go with the maple! Go with the maple!

Old 03-15-2014, 11:10 PM   #18

We'll see.....that's a long way off...

Old 03-16-2014, 12:56 AM   #19

Pretty please?

Old 03-16-2014, 02:13 PM   #20

At this time we have a fully functional grip installation. No interference in the fire position, all components lay where they should be in battery.

Half notch for loading/unloading, no interference, all components locked in the proper position.

Full notch for firing...no interference, all components locked in the proper position.

Ruger OMBH trigger return spring and plunger installed in the filler block. Perfect function and tucked in tighter/less visible on this grip than it was in the original OMBH. So, time to loose the XR3-Red frame all together and finalize the Ligntning Style grip.