Blackhawk Lightning - Page 11
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Blackhawk Lightning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2014, 01:41 PM   #101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 77 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 2

6 more pics.

Finally Home, NC

armoredman Likes This 
Old 05-23-2014, 01:48 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
Hey Sharps that is a good looking gun. I would carry it with pride if I were you.

Can you take a pic that shows the whole gun, please?
Pics up. We'll see how it shoots. As for keeping it, not sure. I have a pristine original Blackhawk that I shoots occasional and drag out huntin and my daily carry, woods and all is a Smith 60....also got a hankerin to make up a bolt action 450 BushHamster for myself or a nice Allen BoxLock muzzleloader with scope.....time will tell.

Finally Home, NC

Old 05-23-2014, 08:26 PM   #103

This morning the Ruger Lightning was a Pretty Gal.....two hours and about 200 rounds at the range and I can say she's now a Dirty Gal, in all the right ways.

The Lightning grip is comfortable, recoil is more straight back but no sting at all. For a hard grip, its very comfortable. It was a good choice....odd look, nice performance.

This is more than I typically shoot in a session but this one is a ball. Points great.....here's what a real Dirty Gal looks like....

I decided to sight in about 7 meters since its a short barreled gun and that's a good aim for squirrel, rabbit, varmints any day. From there and after the 158g MagTec JHP deer loads were nicely zeroed I proceeded to work on the steels from 3 to 30 yards. Cleaned 25 about three times. It points very well, I think there were under 6 or 7 misses. Very nice....mimics performance from my 1911 and easier to manage than with my other 357 3 screw and its plow share grip.

Starting out, see the lower right....the first shots were 38 Specials with 148g LSWC....moved the sights a bit to shift impact a bit left and check fire more of the 148s and some 125g JHP handloads.

After that, I loaded up some of the good old 357 mags loaded to upper midrange with 125g JHPs. They printed pretty much around the bull and are shown in the more closely centered group.

Final zero at 7 meters was established with my factory Magtec 158g JHP ammo. This is the deer load. A bit harder push back but still very manageable as can be seen on target. From there I went to steel randomly mixing mag handloads and factory in the cylinder and worked over the steels all the way back to 30 meters. Pretty much all were taken down with center hold. The largest steels being 12" rounds on the stands, 8" rounds on the resetting bars and the smallest being 4" rounds on the dueling post.

From a functional standpoint, much of the brass, including the stiffest load (The Magtec 158s) fall from the cylinder when the muzzle is elevated, gate open. If not, a light tick of the ejector suffices to bump them out so they will fall or ya can flick em then with a finger nail. They lift on the ejector about 1/4 to 3/8 inch and then either fall or can be flicked/plucked clean. Glad I put an ejector assembly on this one....its nice to have. Not fast, but it wasn't really all that fast before when it had a longer barrel.

This one is officially done....after I clean it again.....time to move on to another project, whatever that may be. Look for it here.

Finally Home, NC

armoredman Likes This 
Old 05-23-2014, 11:28 PM   #104
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1786 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1538

Looks great! Looks to shoot great! This was a fun project to follow!

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Old 05-24-2014, 01:00 AM   #105

Thanks, it turned out pretty good for not bein quite sure where I was headin with it for half the build!

Finally Home, NC

Old 05-24-2014, 05:14 AM   #106

Liked 178 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Fantastic. Someone had better treasure that one.

Old 05-28-2014, 04:08 PM   #107

Liked 60 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

excellent project, thanks for sharing!

Old 06-19-2014, 12:40 AM   #108

Ordered the De Santis Crossdraw holster in tan for the 3.5" barreled single actions. Gun is mine! HA! First project I've kept in a while.

Finally Home, NC

Old 06-23-2014, 09:00 PM   #109

Followin up on this thread, open carry starts tonight. Perfect fit, snug and a nifty thumb loop in the De Santis Cross Draw holster.

Not sure I like the look with a striped shirt and narrow belt but ya get the ider and it will be perfect for stompin in the woods. Right handed rifles and crossbows will no longer hang up on my carry piece! I'm happy I decided to keep this un.

I'm off to work in the garage and pack stuff up so we'll see how this un rides on a wider belt and with a lot of movement and bending and jukin round....

Finally Home, NC

Old 06-27-2014, 02:14 PM   #110

Been wearin it round the house and yard work, etc. Interesting feeling being right handed but wearing it left. It lays pretty close now that I've tightened up the belt loop and its typically not in the way or snagging doors chairs, etc since it sits a bit forward. Weird and needs some getting used to but I think it'll be great come woods time and the rifle is not going clunk, scrape, boink against the handgun all day long!

It CC's decent with a loose shirt. Changes which side of the booth I sit on though!

But, inbound is a new model Blackhawk 357 that could become a true birdshead (blue or stainless or brass) with bloodwood or burl redwood and maybe scalloped recoil shield. As for blue, not sure if it'll get done all black but I was thinkin maybe Black barrel/cylinder/grip and then rubbing the frame back to a worn black finish, sort of a grey black like faded case colored frame......

Of course, in typical brainstorming fashion......I have an 1860 BP (Replica) 44 cal parts gun.....lovely Colt style 2 piece brass grip frame and one piece wood stock (no grip screw to mar the lines!).

Might be neat to take some measurements and see if there is meat enough to render another Colt Gripped Blackhawk, but this one in the plowshare style. More to follow in another thread.

Finally Home, NC