Black powder "Glock" project

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Black powder "Glock" project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2013, 12:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Black powder "Glock" project

Hello everyone. I see that nobody uses electric ignition for their homemade guns. Two things are distinctive advantages of it.
First you are not dependent on precussion caps. Two wires and and a smaller one between them, it can even be iron wire.
Second, the gun can be like a lego set. The barrel, the battery and the pistol grip can be in many different configurations.

Disadvantages:
Reloading is not a practical option, unless you're ready to spend some time.
Reliability requires a battery that can operate even at very low temperatures and still pop a crude homemade e-match.

There's been a lot of talk about this 3D printed liberator. I plan to make a tutorial for an easy to make mini cannon that uses fire cracker flash powder.
I'd love to hear suggestions, comparisons and critics of the battery ignition concept.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-17-2013, 02:03 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9139 Times on 3947 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

Criticism of the electrical ignition- weak point is usually the filament/ bridge wire. If you test it with a regular Volt/Ohm meter, it will fire. (A Blaster's meter will not make it fire, but unless you work with explosives, you do not have one of those)

Likely you will be replacing the filament every shot.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:53 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yes, after every shot, the wire is replaced, for the sake of reliability. I was thinking, if it's going to be one shot gun, the reload speed doesn't matter anyway. No Ohm meter can fire a crude home made bridge wire.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:22 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm not sure how appropriate are these guns for a firearms forum, but these are very cheap, legal most of the times guns:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U8STfQAV8A
Main advantages:
Almost any flammable liquid can be your propellant.
Ignition can be even the tiniest spark.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:35 AM   #5

Liked 1028 Times on 685 Posts
Likes Given: 677

Huh. I think I'll stick to a real gun.
But I will say, I made some pyrotechnic igniters a few years ago. I got a kit, you basically add a binder, (glue), and acetone, and dip the ends of a wire into the goo. The goo has metal in it, to act as the bridge. It does need some decent current to fire. I bet a 9V would do it. But, nothing short of this decent voltage is going to fire it, including a tester.
C3, are you talking about the professional pyro E-matches? Those are touchy, and WILL fire if you use the wrong tester, and they are also a controlled item. But lots of fun.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:29 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yes I'd also stick to a real gun, but I work with what I have I don't like the dependence on commercial stuff(e-matches) An iron wire can be used instead.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:01 AM   #7

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Anyone ever think of building electric ignition from a commercially available stun gun?

Old 06-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I used one for igniting gases. The maximum spark gap kept getting smaller, due to isolation brakedown in the wires. It was overkill with not much benefits.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:58 PM   #9

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by NukeEmAll235 View Post
I used one for igniting gases. The maximum spark gap kept getting smaller, due to isolation brakedown in the wires. It was overkill with not much benefits.
But...I'm thinking with the right engineering behind it, coupled to a gun, reliable and reusable.

SMAW rockets are electrically fired I believe, but maybe not exactly "ignited".

Old 06-03-2013, 06:01 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

There are chemical compounds that can ignite/detonate from piezo crystal generated pulse, but I have no idea how this is achieved.