Big Thunder II Vs. Fenrir: The 1911 .460 Rowland Build Off - Page 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Big Thunder II Vs. Fenrir: The 1911 .460 Rowland Build Off

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2009, 08:53 PM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Default The FENRIR/COLT .460 Rowland 1911 Project, $1,192.18

WOW, I just got back from the range!

WOW, FENRIR is alive!

Did I say WOW?

I need to get busy with the range report, WOW!

The snake is back!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-06-2009, 08:56 PM   #72

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Oh Shi'ite.....

Old 03-06-2009, 09:06 PM   #73

Default Here's the Video

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/video/Rowland.wmv

Old 03-06-2009, 09:10 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
WOW, I just got back from the range!

I need to get busy with the range report, WOW!

The snake is back!
Sounds like you might have liked it. Can't wait for the report.

I may try to check in over the weekend but have a lot of shooting / practice to do in preparation for upcoming matches. I'll give you more details later.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:11 AM   #75

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Alright cane, it's been 5 hours now...

You better not be photo-shopping targets.

Am I gonna get to read your report tonight or do we have to wait until tomorrow?

Dillinger, it looks like you eased right into your new found power. Nice shooting.

Are either of you going to do some sort of energy/penetration test. Maybe a water jug test? Some of the energy figures cane gave are almost double a standard load .45ACP. That's crazy. I'd be pretty happy to have kept the shots fired on the target and Dillinger is looking for 2" groups... and from the looks of it will probably get 'em

Renee posting video FTW! I got to hear it go bang. (yes- I'm a simpleton)

Last edited by Slawth; 03-07-2009 at 02:21 AM.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:23 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawth View Post
Alright cane, it's been 5 hours now...

You better not be photo-shopping targets.
I don't think Cane would do that, but he is a sidewinding belly crawler, so you never know.

Quote:
Dillinger, it looks like you eased right into your new found power. Nice shooting.
Thanks bro, I was out of control early on, but I settled in and turned in some good targets.

Quote:
Are either of you going to do some sort of energy/penetration test. Maybe the water jug test?
I happen to have something up my sleeve for my FINAL range report once my weapon comes back from Robar. This will show you guys what this awesome round can do in the REAL WORLD. If all plays out, you guys will SHOCKED out of your seats as to what this round can do and will probably all be wanting to contact Renee. It's a Top Secret Final Range Report - we are in a competition after all, but just keep checking back...

Quote:
. I'd be pretty happy to have kept the shots fired on the target and Dillinger is looking for 2" groups..
That's true. I have a "Tactical Precision Shooters" mentality. I don't like sending a lot of ammo at my target, which is one of the key reasons this project appealed to me. A triple tap is too much in my opinion, I want one, maybe two rounds, and I want the bad guys', or the Space Zombies, d!ck in the dirt.

When I shoot my "Tactical Precision Rifles" one round is WELL ENOUGH to put the enemy down. I am looking for the same performance out of my hip weapon.

This is not for CCW carry, this is for when the SHTF and it goes in my SERPA drop down rig as a last ditch effort to survive.

Always Remember: A pistol is to be used to buy time in an effort to get to a rifle.

With this big bastard, it will keep the bad guys heads down long enough for you to search the battle field and decide what weapon you want to use.

JD

Old 03-07-2009, 02:49 AM   #77

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I found a picture of cane's target... doesn't seem to be any bullet holes in it though.....

Old 03-07-2009, 02:55 AM   #78

Default Sorry guys, I got distracted! Hey it's friday night in Ft. Lauderdale!

Range Report: FENRIR/Colt .460 Rowland

March 6th, I have been waiting for this day and I was ready to go pulp up some targets! All the hype we have gone through in the past month was going to come to fruition this afternoon!

Did I say WOW?

I'm one happy rattler! Did I have problems? Yep, but understand when this puppy came in the mail I threw the gun together and with tires smoking headed to the neatest range. As a friend of mine said, "I was amped!"

I really had no idea what recoil to expect from this 'Wolf in Anger'. I have shot several 44 mags and can tell you some of those wheel guns can put a beat down on you. I have a touch of arthritis in my right wrist (old Navy injury) and was worried if this hot rod would render the shooting pleasure into pain.

This compensator/muzzle brake works! I think JD hit the nail square when he said it feels like shooting +P in an alloy framed Commander, or in my case about as stout as +P in my Defender. That's the comparison for recoil.

Now let's talk sound. WOW, this hot rod is running open headers! You know, like when you’re at the outdoor range and the AKs and ARs are yakking and the biggest bore handgun is a 45 ACP mixed in with a lot of 9mm background din? Then just when you start to fall into a rhythm some guy with an uber bore black power long gun touches one off and everyone's head snaps with a WTF combined with an oh s*** I'm ducking! Yea, just like that!

Report, yep that's befitting of this sound, A Bad AZZ Report! I like it, and now I know the feeling the BP rifle owner gets each time he sets that soot bomb off!

I knew this was going to be a brief session, really a shakedown of this new system. I had five mags with me, two Colt that came with the gun, a Wilson Combat ETM and two brand new Tripp Research Cobra Mags. (I will cover them in a later report.)

My problems today were mostly FTE and some stove pipes. They happened with all the mags so the problem was gun and not mag related. I think the headstamp on the 460 is a little beefier than the 45 ACP. Almost every FTE was hung up on the extractor. My XSE is just short of 700 rounds downrange so it has some more brake-in yet to go. Because I have no feed or eject problems when I shoot 45 ACP I will save this extractor for that round. I have an EGW New Design HD 45 Extractor that I will tune for the 460 round.

EGW New Design HD 45 Extractor SER 70 / SER 80 - $39.99 : EGW, Inc., World Class Precision Parts

I got back too late to contact CCG so I will wait until Monday to discuss the FTE issue. Because of the initial Colt fit issue I really think that tuning is all that’s required to get Fenrir running.

I can’t tell (warn) you how a 24# recoil spring feels! This is one tough slide to rack. Really hard! OK, how hard is it? If you’re not careful it will bite you! Here’s how strong the spring is, I shot a mag (8 rounds) of 45 ACP down the 460 tube. I was using some 230gr FMJ Blazers. They would push the slide back just far enough to cock the hammer but would return the spent case back to battery.

My first mags were the Georgia Arms 185gr JHP rocket ships. These are rated at 1550 fps and they were rough on the range back stop! I went through about 20 rounds of the GA 185s. I wanted to try the Cor Bon 255gr JHP so I loaded a GA in the pipe and every other round in the mag was the 255. Interesting test, the recoil seemed to be equivalent but there was a slight sound difference. Not much, kind of like loud and louder!

This was my warm-up. I swapped targets and set the fresh cardboard at 10 meters. I had three mags with 5 rounds each of the GAs 185s. I concentrated and I’m here to tell you guys, this gun is wicked accurate! You couldn’t tell with my first targets but I had a huge grin on my face and couldn’t get a good sight picture. LOL

Here’s how I did with my last 15 rounds.

I’m one happy snake!

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

- orangello

Old 03-07-2009, 05:17 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
How much fire do those comps spit out?
I was surprised how little was visible. This was a well lit range and I'm sure in low light this thing could be a Pink Floyd concert!

- orangello

Old 03-07-2009, 05:13 PM   #80

Nice shooting Cane! I assume you were the envy of a few other blokes at the range as well.

Did you have any problems with any of your magazines FTF?

How was the recoil on your wrists?

Your weapon looks nice in that all silver - if you like that sort of thing.

Now we have one of these monsters at each end of the continent - I guess if Judgement Day comes, we will have to clean out everything in between.

JD