Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Big Thunder II Vs. Fenrir: The 1911 .460 Rowland Build Off

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2009, 03:38 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1413 Times on 807 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Default The FENRIR/COLT .460 Rowland 1911 Project, $1,192.18

Clark Custom Guns conversion kit, cont:

The quality and finish of this kit is very high and even meets the Canebrake requirements!

The fit however, as JD puts it, those damn proprietary Colt parts will get you!

I like to think of it as a Mac in a PC world. "Everyone hates it with a lust!"

My hubris told me to fix the damn thing but my intellect over-ruled and I called Renee.

The fix was simple, sent it to them for fitting.

This cost me nothing but time and I feel it will be time well spent!

My initial reaction was one of extreme satisfaction! My disappointment, it was not a drop in kit for my Colt. The rebound is CCG is fixing it!

I need to agree **grumble** with JD that the true test of this magnificent weapon is not going to be the shooting, but the racking of the slide with the 24 # Wolff recoil spring! It is humbling and a true pee-bringer. It will make the most macho range lizard look awkward, even sissified, with the first shot prep! This is not a gun you will want to slam the slide home sans cartridge.

The hardware is befitting the manliness of the 460 Rowland, I can not wait until I can experience the first exercise in anger of Fenrir!

.460 Rowland .... done the Canebrake way!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-01-2009, 03:50 PM   #52

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Great List McNabb - Thanks for putting that up, might have a few projects those could be applied too in the future.

And you belly crawler, you nailed that right. Trying to rack that new slided with at 24# spring behind it will definitely get your attention.

I caught my palm in front of frame and behind the new muzzle break, which taught me a few new swear words when run all together and an EXTREME respect for the PROPER way to do an over the frame chamber check with the new attachment.

A word of caution, don't get your hand in the way of that slide and break - it REALLY hurts...

JD

Old 03-02-2009, 05:23 PM   #53

Default The FENRIR/COLT .460 Rowland 1911 Project, $1,192.18

Here are a few photos as I tried to fit the CCG kit to the Colt.

If you look at the belly of the chamber you can see the 460 has some additional material compared to the stock barrel.

Renee can you show this photo to your pistolsmith Paul? I think he will find the witness mark where it contacted the receiver.

The FENRIR .460 Rowland .... done the Canebrake way!

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 03-02-2009 at 06:58 PM.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:08 PM   #54

Default Uh Oh Cane!!!!

Somebody got ammo and had spare time at lunch today.....

I can't upload the photo because it exceeds the size requirements of the forum and I can't picture host from work *shaking fist at IT Nazis*

This thing is a MONSTER and I was actually shaking a bit when I first fired it off. I put in two rounds to start, to get a feel for it and touched them both off. The old guy next to me looked around the corner of the booth when I was done and asked "What the hell is that howitzer?!?" LOL

Much more on the range report later - and my groups are not as tight I would have liked to show off, but to be honest, I was a little taken aback by the cartridge and didn't bring my "A" game.

More to follow.....

Old 03-03-2009, 08:13 PM   #55
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Most excellent!

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-03-2009, 08:32 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Somebody got ammo and had spare time at lunch today.....

I can't upload the photo because it exceeds the size requirements of the forum and I can't picture host from work *shaking fist at IT Nazis*

This thing is a MONSTER and I was actually shaking a bit when I first fired it off. I put in two rounds to start, to get a feel for it and touched them both off. The old guy next to me looked around the corner of the booth when I was done and asked "What the hell is that howitzer?!?" LOL

Much more on the range report later - and my groups are not as tight I would have liked to show off, but to be honest, I was a little taken aback by the cartridge and didn't bring my "A" game.

More to follow.....
**Pulling hair out**

- orangello

Old 03-04-2009, 04:13 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Hey Renee, so I finally became a big enough pain in the @$$ to get you to sign up and check out the build-off.

It’s great to have you aboard!
Not at all. Just curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Guys, I would like to introduce you to Renee from CCG. Park your egos at the keyboard, this lady is a tour de force! One of the best customer service reps the canester has dealt with and people skills are only one of the many capabilities in her arsenal.

I hate dealing with ‘order takers’ that can only read catalogs when assisting you with your purchase. Not so with Renee, she knows guns and will share with you information right up to your pay grade. She doesn’t come off as a know-it-all and pulls it off with that great Southern hospitably! Gotta love those Southern gals and when they can talk guns, I think I’ve died and gone to heaven!

Hey skull and Benning Boy, here you go, you guys can talk to a girl toll free saving $3.95/min! MORE AMMO!
Thanks for the intro and very kind words.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:48 PM   #58

Default Range Report Part I

Well, nobody has to keep the suicide watch on Cane, he won't be able to contain his forked tongue after these pictures.

Okay, so today ( 3/3/2009 ) was finally the day. I had FINALLY got my ammo on Monday and I knew that I had a short meeting schedule today. There is an indoor range about one mile from my office and sometimes go there when I am having a rough day and blow through a few rounds.

So, Big Thunder II was all ready to go and I had ammo, so the entire range bag came with me to work today. *rubbing hands together*

So, I get to the range, and of course it’s Muppet day at the range for whatever reason. We had three serious shooters in the whole place (18 lanes). The rest of which were filled with people shooting for their first time, or people who SHOULD have claimed they were shooting for the first time, given their performance. I wasn’t there 10 minutes before we had our first safety violation and range Cease Fire. It’s not my favorite place to shoot.

None the less, I was undeterred as I was between two fine guys a benchrest pistol shooter and an old guy with a Marine Corp hat who was shooting his .357 magnum revolver; I was around good people.

Now, I am literally AMPED through the roof with excitement and I can’t wait. I have been waiting for this moment for like a month, and I have the added benefit of kicking Cane when he is down… LOL

Literally, as I was unpacking all my kit, my hands were shaking a bit I was so excited and anxious. This is highly unlike me, as I am pretty reserved at the range and usually find it a place of calm. I am never amped up to shoot. I take it a de-stressing time to unwind, shoot a few groups, concentrate on other things and just be mellow, without phone calls and people wanting things from me ( like my precious time !!)

Not today boy, I was Jo-Jo the Idiot Circus Monkey with a live wire shoved right up my cornhole.

So, I get out my new black, hand cannon and I load up some ammo in my magazine. I decided to start with my Kimber mag ( 8 rounder ) that came with the gun in the first place and immediately ran into an issue. It wouldn’t chamber the round. For whatever reason, it wasn’t lifting the front end high enough to clear the lip on the magazine. Since this has a 24# spring pulling it closed, I was FAIRLY sure it wasn’t the slide lacking the power to get the job done.

So, scratch that one mag. I had two Mec-Gar Mags ( 7 rounds each ) in the bag as well and then I had a dozen Nighthawk provided mags ( 8 rounders ), so I was covered. One of the Mec-Gar’s ran into the same problem, it wouldn’t chamber, but the other one runs like butter, though I didn’t know it at the time.

At first I was wondering if I was overloading the magazine, so I put two rounds into the other Mec-Gar mag and loaded them up. Now, I haven’t warmed up, I haven’t taken any shots with the .22lr 1911 that I always warm up with, I jumped right into the deep end and unleashed hell times two.

HOLY CRAP!!

You could have heard a pin drop after the second shot, assuming the ringing sound in your ears went away long enough. I had taken the precaution of wearing both foam insets AND my electronic ear muffs, so I was covered, the rest of the range, not so much.

The whole damn range came to a stop… LOL! The old guy next to ( the Former Marine ) looked around the corner and asked me what kind of damn Howitzer I was shooting. That made me chuckle.

First off, the muzzle break works REALLY well. I could actually feel the vented gas bounce off the overhead light and overhang and come back down on my hair with my first two shots. Muzzle flip was hard, but it wasn’t as hard, I think personally, as it would be with say, a .45 ACP +P round in an aluminum framed weapon. A .44 Magnum revolver definitely flips more. The muzzle break and extra weight up front DEFINITELY work well.

The weapon is heavy, it’s 1.9 pounds unloaded, so that helps I am sure, but there is still considerable energy that is being unleashed because that 24# recoil spring is compressed in a heartbeat and it sends shells about 8 to 9 feet away… LOL

Needless to say, my first two rounds were WELL APART from each other. Flinching, anticipating recoil, flat out jerking the trigger, I was the poster boy for poor shooting in this first two round experience. It was a tragedy of Greek proportions from a shooting standpoint.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:52 PM   #59

Default Range Report Part II

Now, I don’t like my Night Sights I have on my Kimber. They are dumbest damn design, with a round dot for a front sight and a stupid horizontal bar below the belly of the notch in the rear sight. They are good at night, but for target shooting, they flat suck. One of the key reasons they will be changed out when this gets shipped off to Robar.

So, having discretion be the better part of Valor, I broke out my .22lr Kimber and shot 50 rounds through it to get warmed up and actually in the zone to shoot again.

So, I could talk out of my ass and tell you guys that I was shooting dimes all day and that the thing was more accurate than I am, and all that Internetz Myth horse crap, but I just can’t do that.

So, these are some of my targets. I am not posting them all, because a lot of them look alike to be honest… LOL Keep in mind that the magazine I was using for all shots only held 7 shots. On one target I shot 2 full magazines and then finished off the last four rounds on the table after a sight adjustment that was just about perfect.

All of these were shot indoors, controlled environment, no wind at a distance of 10 yards. Since the FBI Standard for handgun encounters was 7 meters in 2004/2005 – I felt that 10 yards was a good, “Can I hit anything with it” distance. Turns out I can.

On the day, I had three FTE, one actually had me having to loosen the bolt on the two-piece guide rod to get the empty round un-jammed and drop the mag is was so wedged in there. Now, in fairness, I was using the same magazine the whole time, about 50 to 60 rounds worth, the weapon wasn’t cleaned in between firings, and the FTE’s were near the end of the session. I can’t officially give it a pass and a “Ready to Carry” stamp, but I can’t fault the design or the engineering either.

I think I might have had at least one underpowered load in my batch, possibly two, because they didn’t sound the same going off, and the CCG website clearly states that using a standard .45 ACP load in this gun, with this spring, will result in it failing to cycle.

So, that is a Mute point at the moment. Future tests will either expose, or dispel, that part of the equation.

Of points of interest:

1) This weapon will flat knock a bad guy down and out. If you have body armor on, it might still kill you do to terminal energy transfer. That round is flat MOVING and it makes a hell of a racket hitting the backstop.
2) Expect people to ask you if you are shooting a .50 I must have answered that question 5 times in under an hour, and one was by the range “commander” who was nowhere near the actual shooting of the weapon.
3) If you are shooting at an indoor range, plan on losing some brass. That stuff really takes off out of the gun and it looks VERY similar to .45 ACP brass on the ground. I had several rounds go 10 to 15 feet INTO the range and when I asked about a cease fire to recover it, was met with some “could care less about your brass” resistance. *shrug*

Target 1 is the first two magazines I put through the weapon after my "warm up". As you can see, I was still a bit anxious and I was all over the page at 10 yards.

Target 2 was the best single magazine target of the lot.

Target 3 was when I was finally finishing up. I put 13 rounds into damn near the same part of the target, a little high, and to the left, but all in the same damn spot except for one shooter called flyer and I knew as soon as I did it.

After that, I decided to play with the sights just a bit and adjust my sight picture, just to see what I could do with my last four rounds - turns out they hit home quite nicely.

JD
target-1.jpg   target-2.jpg   target-3.jpg  

Old 03-05-2009, 12:31 AM   #60
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Geeze man, I was expecting some ragged looking targets. Those aren't too bad.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.