Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Big Thunder II Vs. Fenrir: The 1911 .460 Rowland Build Off

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2009, 08:10 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNabb11b View Post
If yours is supposed to be better, why would I want to abscond with Cane's?
+ 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 (a gobmint #) Mack!

Again JD "butter cup" you've been owned

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-27-2009, 12:16 AM   #42

Default The FENRIR/COLT .460 Rowland 1911 Project, $887.18

The following three segments will show the installation and fitting of a new high-ride grip safety on Fenrir.

I purchased the Smith & Alexander grip safety with palm swell. Model GS PS SS S80 - "PalmSwel" Stainless Steel Series 80 for $36.95.

The Smith & Alexander grip safety is NOT a drop-in part.

When changing to this safety I was required to purchase a fitting jig. $10.75

Smith & Alexander - "The Mag-Guide People"

This is the before photo. See how the grip safety points back and down.

This is the after photo. A true high-ride beavertail!

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

- orangello

Old 02-27-2009, 12:46 AM   #43

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franciscomv View Post
Or we could just have a little forum raffle with the loser's gun as a prize...

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNabb11b View Post
If yours is supposed to be better, why would I want to abscond with Cane's?
Because YOU didn't read the statement - he said: Raffle with the the LOSER'S GUN as a prize....

Muppet! Go flog yourself with a wet spaghetti noodle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
+ 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 (a gobmint #) Mack!

Again JD "butter cup" you've been owned
And you, you god damn sidewinder, not only did you not even READ your own thread, you jumped on a horse that was going to DIE 2 miles outside of town!!

You have officially learned that "FIST" can be a VERB!!

JD

Old 02-27-2009, 02:01 AM   #44

High-ride beavertail swap, cont.

When the Colt grip safety is removed there is a segment of the frame's palm web area that requires removal. The radius of the S&A safety is .250".

Once the jig is installed, the excess frame material becomes evident.

This is Fenrir with the first few file passes made to the frame.

Note the black finish on the jig rounds. As you get closer to the finished radius you will start to notice the file starting to remove the black finish, (Your getting close when that happens.)

Almost there!

- orangello

Old 02-27-2009, 02:32 AM   #45

High-ride beavertail swap, cont.

After fitting and function testing the parts were taped and put in the sand-blaster.

The frame;

The beavertail;

The final product;

I'm one happy snake!

.460 Rowland .... done the Canebrake way!

- orangello

Old 02-27-2009, 05:03 PM   #46

Ever since canebrake told me what was going on, I've been checking the thread periodically and finally decided to register.

Can't wait to see range reports.

Also, think I've finally talked the owner into making a long slide kit. Keep fingers crossed or better yet, call and or email to express interest.

Feel free to contact me with any questions or problems.

Renee Tyson
Clark Custom Guns, Inc.
Toll Free 888 458 4126
M-F 8 am - 4 pm CST

Old 02-28-2009, 03:04 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccginc View Post
Ever since canebrake told me what was going on, I've been checking the thread periodically and finally decided to register.
Can't wait to see range reports.
Also, think I've finally talked the owner into making a long slide kit. Keep fingers crossed or better yet, call and or email to express interest.
Feel free to contact me with any questions or problems.

Renee Tyson
Clark Custom Guns, Inc.
Toll Free 888 458 4126
M-F 8 am - 4 pm CST
Hey Renee, so I finally became a big enough pain in the @$$ to get you to sign up and check out the build-off.

It’s great to have you aboard!

Guys, I would like to introduce you to Renee from CCG. Park your egos at the keyboard, this lady is a tour de force! One of the best customer service reps the canester has dealt with and people skills are only one of the many capabilities in her arsenal.

I hate dealing with ‘order takers’ that can only read catalogs when assisting you with your purchase. Not so with Renee, she knows guns and will share with you information right up to your pay grade. She doesn’t come off as a know-it-all and pulls it off with that great Southern hospitably! Gotta love those Southern gals and when they can talk guns, I think I’ve died and gone to heaven!

Hey skull and Benning Boy, here you go, you guys can talk to a girl toll free saving $3.95/min! MORE AMMO!

My feet dragging in the build-off has been due to the Colt fit with my ordered kit. Because my application was one of the few requiring a gunsmith, and not a drop-in like JD’s, **grumbling**

I took the CCG offer to do the fitting at their shop in Princeton, LA. Renee has held my hand through this entire process and we expect to have my gun running and back to me mid to late week.

Remember guys, Clark Custom Guns, Inc. sells more than conversion kits. Their 'Meltdown' treatment for carry guns is off the hook. Check them out!

Again Renee, I'm glad to see you here on the FTF.

- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 02-28-2009 at 04:07 PM.

Old 02-28-2009, 03:41 PM   #48

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

ha ha ha - This is AWESOME!!

Welcome Renee and Thank You for signing up as Vendor no less!! That is awesome.

Your kit went together flawlessly on my Kimber and I have nothing but positives to say about the fit and finish. The weapon really looks good and I am DYING to try it out...

But, as it would appear that Fate has determined neither Cane, nor myself, will be allowed an advantage in this build off. As his Colt needed hand fitting, My Kimber needs ammo.

I am hoping to see the big brown truck on Monday. *crossing fingers* Then it will IMMEDIATELY off to the range because I am MOST ANXIOUS to see what this big cannon can do.

JD

Old 03-01-2009, 05:34 AM   #49

Hey JD, I can't remember where you were asking about the names of weapons from Norse mythology, so I am putting a list here. I also added some weapons from Celtic Mythology also, but more for my benefit.

Hrunting, the magical sword of Beowulf (Anglo-Saxon verse)
Nothung, the sword from Die Walküre (Wagnerian mythology), also known as Gram, or Balmung wielded by Siegfried

Swords from Celtic Mythology

* Caladbolg (also Caladcholg), the sword of Fergus mac Róich and powerful enough to cut the tops off three hills; related to the Caledfwlch of Welsh mythology
* Caledfwlch Often compared to Excalibur (and might be an alternate name for it), this sword is used by Llenlleawg Wyddel to kill Diwrnach Wyddel and his men.
* Claíomh Solais (The Sword of Light), the sword of Nuada, leader of the Tuatha de Danann
* Fragarach (also The Sword of Air, The Answerer or The Retaliator), forged by the gods. No armor could stop it, and it would grant its wielder command over the powers of wind
* Dyrnwyn aka The Sword of Rhydderch - "Rhydderch the generous." A flaming sword not unlike Excalibur in abilities. One of the Spoils of Annwyn.
* The Singing Sword of Conaire Mór
* Ysbaddadan's Javelins This Fomori owned a set of spears dipped in poisonous venom.

Swords from Norse Mythology

* Balmung/Gram, the sword that Odin struck into the Branstock tree which only Sigmund the Volsung was able to pull out. It broke in battle with Odin but was later reforged by Sigmund's son Sigurd/Siegfried and used it to slay the dragon Fafnir. After being reforged, it could cleave an anvil in half.

* Dáinsleif is king Högni's sword, according to Snorri Sturluson's account of the battle known as the Hjaðningavíg.
* Freyr's sword, Freyr's magic sword which fought on its own.
* Tyrfing (also Tirfing or Tervingi), the cursed sword of Svafrlami, from the Elder Edda; also said to be the sword of Odin in Wagnerian mythology
* Hofud, the sword of Heimdall, the guardian of Bifrost.
* Skofnung, a sword with mythical properties associated with the legendary Danish king Hrólf Kraki.

Polearms

Celtic mythology

* The Gae Bolg, the spear of Cuchulainn, given to him by Aife, the sister of Scathach, and made from the bone of a sea-monster.
* The Spear Luin (also Spear of Fire or Spear of Destiny), forged by the Smith of Falias for Lugh to use in his fight against Balor.
* Ogma's Whip - the spear of Ogma (the Celtic sun god) is used to "guide the passage of the invisible sun".
* Rhongomiant, which was the spear of King Arthur.

Norse mythology

* Gungnir, Odin's magic spear created by the dwarf Dvalin. It would never miss its aim and it could not be stopped in mid-throw.
* Spears of the Valkyrie "Various" The weapons of the infamous Valkyries, these weapons are described as having flaming barbs.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud in "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"

"My dear boy, I love hearing my relations abused. It is the only thing that makes me put up with them at all. Relations are simply a tedious pack of people, who haven’t got the remotest knowledge of how to live, nor the smallest instinct about when to die."

Old 03-01-2009, 03:08 PM   #50

Default The FENRIR/COLT .460 Rowland 1911 Project, $1,192.18

While waiting for Fenrir to return home, I thought I would post some photos of the Clark Custom Guns conversion kit.

The cost of this kit was $305.00 and is added to the rolling total in the title bar.

The kit is quite comprehensive and well documented, providing the owner a simple DIY upgrade for their STEEL 1911.

The kit:

.460 Rowland .... done the Canebrake way!

- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 03-01-2009 at 03:40 PM.