Big Thunder II Vs. Fenrir: The 1911 .460 Rowland Build Off - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Big Thunder II Vs. Fenrir: The 1911 .460 Rowland Build Off

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2009, 03:35 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Well, well, weeeeellllllllll. Let's see what snakeskin looks like with a bit of greenish tint to it. That's right Belly Crawler - Guess what.....

Ssssssoooooooo, I came home to a nice surprise tonight and FINALLY got my .460 Rowland Kit from CCG.

This is quite a well equipped kit for the $305 including shipping that I paid. The kit comes with the heavily compensated, match grade barrel with built in bushing and a two piece, full length guide rod.

Included in the kit comes two packages of recoil springs, one for 20 pounds and one for 24 pounds. Now, my upgraded spring for my Nighthawks is an 18 pound model, so the heavy spring for the full .460 Rowland loads is a full 33% greater!

The 20 pound spring kit is for “light loads” and it’s recommended that you use the 24 pound spring kit and change out the firing pin with the spring provided for shooting the high velocity, “serious” ammo.

As you can see, the kit is heavily detailed and features a few warnings. Make sure your gun is empty. Don’t point it at your eye when trying to compress the spring into the slide. Stuff like that.

I pulled the barrel, guide rod, bushing and spring from the Kimber and set them aside.

The first thing I did was check the fit of the .460 Barrel into the Kimber slide. It fit like it was hand built for the slide. It fit perfectly and there was almost no gap between the front of the slide and barrel bushing / muzzle break on the Rowland Barrel.

At this point, and opposite of how I normally assemble my 1911’s, CCG has you put the spring plug in place and put the barrel bushing in place. You turn the slide over in your hand and insert the spring ( I chose the 24 pound one to install first ) onto the half guide rod.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:54 AM   #22

Continued - so I drag out Cane's tears and agony... LOL

Inserting the spring into the front part of the slide, you then start to wrestle to compress that big spring into the slide against the spring plug. I won’t kid you, once I got it in place, it was a bit crooked and it was just aching to try and jump out and get me.

Keeping my hand firmly clamped over the spring, I followed the directions and inserted the second piece of the guide rod through the open ended spring plug. It matched right up with the half length guide rod and threaded right into place without a single hassle.

The end of the second part of the guide rod has an Allen Head insert and the kit comes with the matching wrench. Using the Allen wrench to tighten the guide rod into place, the spring was finally contained and had no where to go, so it was safe to reassemble the rest of the gun and put the slide release into place.

The mating up of the barrel and the slide looks like they came off the production line together. There is almost no gap that is discernable and the width / height of the compensator matches the Kimber’s slide beautifully.

I won’t kid you; this thing is now a hefty piece of steel. Unloaded, with the new kit installed, the weapon comes in at 1.9lbs. It feels good, it feels weighty and a little forward balanced, front heavy. I like the way it feels with the extra weight on the front end. I anticipate that the heavy front end will do well with the snap of the recoil from the new super heated round.

I have no designs of ever carrying this weapon in a Concealed status - This weapon is being built for my Serpa Drop Thigh holster and will be on my leg when SHTF. As such, here is the configuration snuggled into it's soon to be happy home....

So, where's your range report?

The ammo won't be here until Weds or Thursday and I have special plans for the final range report to show you guys what this round is capable of.

As such, I think this weekend will be the standard paper punching session and I will save the true Range Report for when it comes back from Robar....

So, how's that crow tasting down there in Florida Cane? Does it go well with the sunset and Bourbon? Heh heh heh.....

*Rubbing ORANGE HANDS together with glee...*

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 02-24-2009 at 02:51 PM.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:30 AM   #23

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franciscomv View Post
Then you still get my vote. Stags do look nice, I wonder how they feel when shooting (I'll know tomorrow when the paperwork on my Colt is finally done!). This thread has given me an itch to tinker with a 1911. I might get a cheap "Sistema Colt" made here to play with. I'm sure my girlfriend will be thrilled when she finds out how much one can spend on nice 1911 parts...
When that paperwork is completed let's see some photos and a range report! I know how hard that wait can be!!

Colt is the only addiction that's contagious!

I think you're hooked Franciscomv. Welcome to my world. (Now yours also!)

I just finished fitting the new beavertail and mag-well.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-24-2009, 05:11 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Continued - so I drag out Cane's tears and agony... LOL

So, how's that crow tasting down there in Florida Cane? Does it go well with the sunset and Bourbon? Heh heh heh.....
JD

..........What, Me Green?

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

- orangello

Old 02-25-2009, 02:17 AM   #25

Default The FENRIR/COLT .460 Rowland 1911 Project, $839.48

Hey orange furry guy.

Isn't it ironic that you have the gun and I have the ammo?

Just came today, Cor Bon 460 Rowland 255gr BC 1100 fps 685 ft/lbs $28.18/20

The standing cartridge on the left (and lying down) are the Cor Bon 255 on the right standing is the Georgia Arms 185.

Bone Breaking Power! CORBON'S Bonded-Core style bullets are true heavy-duty hunting bullets of the highest quality. Each bullet is carefully weighed, swagged and inspected by hand to ensure that you have the strongest bonded bullet available. The soft lead core is bonded to the outer jacket to make a bullet that will not break apart. These bullets stay together when pushed to very high velocities - they expand producing excellent knockdown power and stay in one mass to provide deep controlled penetration.

What's that I'm feeling? Why I think my color is coming back!

How about you JD? Limp-wrist 185 gr?? Not so much!

.460 Rowland .... done the Canebrake way!

- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 02-25-2009 at 02:36 AM.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:47 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Hey orange furry guy.

Isn't it ironic that you have the gun and I have the ammo?
Quite Ironic actually. But as long as mine shows up before the weekend, I will be happy.

Quote:
Just came today, Cor Bon 460 Rowland 255gr BC 1100 fps 685 ft/lbs $28.18/20
That's what I am talking about on power - but not at that price. Sweet Jesus Cane, you are going to be sleeping on that patio you keep spending that kind of cash on ammo. $1.41 a bullet??

Quote:
What's that I'm feeling? Why I think my color is coming back!

How about you JD? Limp-wrist 185 gr?? Not so much!
You still don't have a kit, you crazy sidewinder. And then your feeble old ass still has to compress that 24 pound spring... LOL

And, as you come from an engineering background I know you will appreciate this. Some of us actually would like to observe the increase in pressure over the standard .45 ACP at a gradual pace, instead of He-Manning right into the top loads and have the slide become a permanent part of your anatomy.

JD

Old 02-25-2009, 06:38 PM   #27

So, winner of this competition is the first one to publish a range report?

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud in "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"

"My dear boy, I love hearing my relations abused. It is the only thing that makes me put up with them at all. Relations are simply a tedious pack of people, who haven’t got the remotest knowledge of how to live, nor the smallest instinct about when to die."

Old 02-25-2009, 06:40 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNabb11b View Post
So, winner of this competition is the first one to publish a range report?
I don't think there is a winner. Besides, we both have range reports, then both pistols are going to seperate off site re-finishing places.

I think we will be putting the end goal pistols up against each other, head to head, for a forum vote off.

The loser will have to sport a custom signature for like a month or something.

Mine would probably be:

"Building my own 1911 .460 Rowland Project didn't make me retard, building my own 1911 .460 Rowland project and NOT doing it Cane's way makes me a retard" - or something like that... LOL

Old 02-25-2009, 06:53 PM   #29

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
The loser will have to sport a custom signature for like a month or something.

Mine would probably be:

"Building my own 1911 .460 Rowland Project didn't make me retard, building my own 1911 .460 Rowland project and NOT doing it Cane's way makes me a retard" - or something like that... LOL
Or we could just have a little forum raffle with the loser's gun as a prize...

Old 02-25-2009, 06:55 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franciscomv View Post
Or we could just have a little forum raffle with the loser's gun as a prize...

Well, if you won, we couldn't ship it too you... LOL