Big Thunder II Vs. Fenrir: The 1911 .460 Rowland Build Off - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Big Thunder II Vs. Fenrir: The 1911 .460 Rowland Build Off

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2009, 04:58 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Default The FENRIR/COLT .460 Rowland 1911 Project, The Real One $722.45

Hey orange furry one. I went to the gun show this weekend and picked up the first ammo for my 'most excellent' project. (Or was it a Valentines gift to turn your orange fur to green?)

50 rounds of 185GR Nosler JHP (New) $35.50 from Georgia Arms, p/n G460A rated at 1550 fps muzzle velocity and a energy release of 925 #/ft.

Here's a few photos of the comparison of the .460 Rowland 185GR JHP to the .45 ACP 230GR Ball, both are Georgia Arms new ammo.

Using a (brand new) Colt barrel you can see the added length of the Rowland brass will not allow it to chamber. This is the built in safety function that prevents the gun from returning to battery in a factory .45 ACP barrel.

.45 ACP chambered, Note the round in the chamber checker to the right, the head stamp is flush with the surface of the check tool.

.460 Rowland in the same barrel. Note the round in the chamber checker to the right, the head stamp is above the surface of the check tool.

I have loaded up both the Wilson Combat ETM mag and the factory Colt mags just to assure the fit and function. Everything went well and I expect no hardware problems from a feed standpoint when the tests begin.

The dollar amount in the upper right of this post has been updated to include this ammo purchase, it is the running total of my build and will be updated for each post.

As I wait for the CCG kit to arrive and while fondling the ammo I can only imagine what the orange furry one has in store for us??

Now if you will excuse me, It's time to rile up the furry one!

.460 Rowland .... done the Canebrake way!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 02-16-2009 at 05:01 PM.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:50 AM   #12

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Okay, I admit, my fur is turning a little green and my Rage-O-Meter is a tad bit higher than it was before I logged in.....

H..O..W..E..V..E..R:

185 grains? Really Cane? You weak, limp wristed old man.

The WHOLE REASON for this build in the first place was to throw .44 Magnum type loads out of my 1911.

That's 240 grains last time I checked, according to the inspiration behind this build in the first place. Mack Bolan's .44 Automag, Big Thunder.

.....and baring that, 230 grains for this cartridge:

GRAPH

Now, I admit that it isn't as fast & flashy as Cane's little 185 grainer - but 230 grains hitting you in the chest with 917 foot pounds of energy behind it is definitely the equivilent to getting hit by a Nolan Ryan Fastball.

So, while Cane is out of the gates fast with his order and his fancy new ammo - I have a few tricks up my sleeve to swing things back in my favor....

*rubbing furry orange hands together in maniacal fashion*

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 02-17-2009 at 01:06 AM.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:03 AM   #13

Nope, no limp wrist on the screen.......oh wait...something is showing up.....it's your post!

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

- orangello

Old 02-18-2009, 06:54 PM   #14

Hey! Belly Crawler! I thought you might like to know that MY new, hand assembled .460 Rowland kit has officially left on the truck and is headed my way.

Nah Nah Na Nah NAH!!!

Old 02-18-2009, 10:56 PM   #15

Default The FENRIR/COLT .460 Rowland 1911 Project, The Real One $722.45

The donor gun came in to my FFL on December 19th. I picked it up and went directly to the range. I did my typical 'new gun' break in which consists of loading all mags (2 factory 8, 1 WC ETM) with one round. I then fire the gun looking for slide lock and then load with two rounds. I look for feed, RTB, eject function and slide lock. I do this up to a full mag. I had zero problems and ran the gun for a total of 100rds.

I was very pleased with the gun's accuracy and found the trigger about average in weight but with an excellent brake. Like braking a glass rod, crisp and not at all what I expected for a production gun.

The gun went home for cleaning. This was my first look at the workings of the government XSE. You can imagine my surprise when I found the crappy machine work on the sear and the galling on the disconnector! Not sensing a need to improve the trigger pull I buffed them up with a 320 grit 3M sponge and reinstalled the ignition system.

The running total of my build will not include the ammo used in this test.

Anyone seen that orange furry tribble anywhere?

Why does this man have a smile on his face???

- orangello

Old 02-22-2009, 12:03 AM   #16

Well, it would appear the mail Gods have seen fit to make sure this race stays close. Even though my kit shipped last Thursday, as of mail today, still nothing. Hopefully next week. I have ammo showing up on tuesday, so that damn barrel kit better get here before Cane gets his... *shaking fist*

JD

Old 02-22-2009, 03:39 AM   #17

Default The FENRIR/COLT .460 Rowland 1911 Project, The Real One $811.30

I hate plastic! Everyone here knows that so I guess it isn't a surprise the first thing I did to my new XSE was to remove the composite mainspring housing!

I know, I know, most modern era 1911 owners don't even know that their MSH is plastic but I did and it needed to go!

I'm a high-ride grip freak and need my strong side hand up as high as possible on the grip. A flat, back-strap gave me the only reason I needed to change out the tupperware. My choice was a Smith & Alexander arched MSH with Mag-Guide. This arched MSH forces your hand up and into the beavertail, or in this case, the lousy duck bill grip safety on most current Colts. (It will go in the next Fenrir episode.) I have had experience with S&A when I replaced the same part on my Defender and their quality and customer service is top rate! If you have a question about installation, give Alan Smith a call, he will walk you through the process until it's working! A conversation with Alan is like a pistolsmith lesson. Barbra Smith is equally knowledgeable and both are a pleasure to deal with!

Smith & Alexander - "The Mag-Guide People"

I got the government model arched stainless w/mag-guide; Model # GMAS MG for $78.95.

Installation is simple and the only extra step required is to install the spring and caps from the old MSH. (No sweat if you have a Wheeler Bench Block!)

While I had the gun apart I replaced both the main spring and the sear spring.

I went with the Wilson Combat Bullet Proof®Sear Spring P/N 417 for $6.95.

Bullet Proof Sear Spring

And I opted for the Wilson Combat Mainspring (Hammer Spring) "Reduced Power" P/N 27 for $2.95. This spring replacement results in a lighter trigger pull. The hammer is easier to cock by hand and while cycling which should improve ejection reliability.

Mainspring (Hammer Spring) Reduced-Power

Needing a pair of 'MagWell' cut grips I found these real stags from Argentina on ebay for $55.00. I will not include this purchase in my running total because I have a different set for Fenrir.

I'm off to check my mail box to see if my CCG 460 Roland kit has come in yet. I should get my kit before the orange furry guy because I paid the Clark people to hold up his shipment!

- orangello

Old 02-22-2009, 11:30 PM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Needing a pair of 'MagWell' cut grips I found these real stags from Argentina on ebay for $55.00. I will not include this purchase in my running total because I have a different set for Fenrir.

I'm off to check my mail box to see if my CCG 460 Roland kit has come in yet. I should get my kit before the orange furry guy because I paid the Clark people to hold up his shipment!

I'm rooting for Cane on this one! Just because of the Argentinian grips.

By the way, thanks for the mainspring housing advice. I need to replace the plastic flat one on my Colt with and arched metal one.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franciscomv View Post
I'm rooting for Cane on this one! Just because of the Argentinian grips.

By the way, thanks for the mainspring housing advice. I need to replace the plastic flat one on my Colt with and arched metal one.
No problem Franciscomv, S&A is the best IMHO!

I hope you continue to root for me when I change the Argentinian Stags out for the Houges when the new pipe arrives. I think the gun looks much better with the Stags but I want a handful of gun to hold on to when I step up to the 460 Rowland.

Not to worry, I'll take photos with the Stags after the barrel switch just for you! (and me, I really like the white grips on the SS frame! Must be the Patton in me! )

- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 02-23-2009 at 04:56 AM.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:48 PM   #20

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=canebrake;74071
Not to worry, I'll take photos with the Stags after the barrel switch just for you! (and me, I really like the white grips on the SS frame! Must be the Patton in me! )[/QUOTE]

Then you still get my vote. Stags do look nice, I wonder how they feel when shooting (I'll know tomorrow when the paperwork on my Colt is finally done!).

This thread has given me an itch to tinker with a 1911. I might get a cheap "Sistema Colt" made here to play with. I'm sure my girlfriend will be thrilled when she finds out how much one can spend on nice 1911 parts...