Big Thunder II Vs. Fenrir: The 1911 .460 Rowland Build Off
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Big Thunder II Vs. Fenrir: The 1911 .460 Rowland Build Off

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2009, 11:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default Big Thunder II Vs. Fenrir: The 1911 .460 Rowland Build Off

Okay, after being first introduced too, and then bullied by, canebrake on this issue, I have decided that it is time to get it started.

Today I ordered this kit from Clark Custom Guns. The end result will be a 1911 with the ability to throw a .45 caliber round at about 1300fps-1400fps. A standard .45 ACP +P round leaves a 5" barrel at about 900fps to 915fps - so obviously this is a huge step up and will definitely result in high torque and increased recoil.

So, here is the platform. It's a 2003 Kimber Custom Target II that I carried and shot extensively for almost 3 years. Existing features include a custom trigger job, night sights and I bought the same grips that S/A put on their initial offering of the "Operator" model. The weapon has no problems, but it got relegated to the back of the safe after the addition of the Nighthawk's.

The plan is to install the kit from CCG and then send the whole thing off to Robar to have them coat the outside with Roguard and the internals coated with NP-3.

After that, I will dump the stupid adjustable night sights for a fixed three dot version like I have on all my other weapons.

More to follow.....

JD

bolan-project-002.jpg   bolan-project-012.jpg   bolan-project-007.jpg  

Last edited by Dillinger; 02-13-2009 at 04:21 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-10-2009, 03:07 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Cool. Please keep us in the loop.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-10-2009, 05:27 AM   #3

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Okay, after being berated and bullied into this build by canebrake, I have decided that it is time to get it started.
JD you ho; I guess the race is on!

The Canebrake Fenrir 460 Rowland is in progress and will use my Colt XSE SS as the donor gun.

I also have a Clark Custom Guns, .460 Rowland kit on order and will post my progress as things come together.

The beauty of this conversion is that the 45 ACP can be fired using the same barrel as the 460 Roland.

With the barrel extension incorporating the compensator, the results produce a recoil comparable to the 45 ACP!

The target however sees a slight increase in energy release.

.460 Rowland 200 gr 1450 fps 934 # ft
.45 ACP Hornady 200 gr 900 fps 360 # ft

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by Dillinger; 02-13-2009 at 04:18 PM.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:33 AM   #4

This is great. Be sure to post pictures. This is subscription worthy.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud in "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"

"My dear boy, I love hearing my relations abused. It is the only thing that makes me put up with them at all. Relations are simply a tedious pack of people, who haven’t got the remotest knowledge of how to live, nor the smallest instinct about when to die."

Old 02-10-2009, 07:36 PM   #5

Default My, MY, MY

Cane has done went and called JD a HO. I am shocked, NOT. More pics and info please.

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS

Don't blame the tool, blame the fool.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:30 PM   #6

Default The FENRIR/COLT .460 Rowland Project, The Real One

I'm jackin' in. Don't need no stinkin' build site of my own, I'll just take up bandwidth here on JD's!

Some background needs to be presented so all members can be up to date on this endeavor.

You really need to go to this thread and get up to speed!

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/44-magnum-do-they-9901/index2.html

Now you see how the 460 Rowland project took flower.

In this thread you will clearly see that the 'orange furry one' tried to take credit for this epic crusade.

Starting with post # 20 where I psyched him into thinking I was done. Listen to his rambling in #21!

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/ten-manliest-firearms-9632/

I’ll follow-up with the FENRIR/Colt 460 Rowland build after I let the 'furry one' respond!

.460 Rowland .... done the Canebrake way!

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 02-12-2009 at 07:20 PM. Reason: To put the orange furry one on the trailer!

Old 02-12-2009, 11:02 PM   #7

*shaking fist*

Damn you, you crazy belly crawler! What the hell are you on about now?!

I think that Bourbon and sunshine is clearly going to your dome!

I didn't even want to build this project, but you had to come along and push me along, chasing me around the 1911 forums taunting me with this Holy Grail project. It's your fault that I am winning this battle, you silly reptile, you brought this down upon yourself.

In some crazy attempt to get an upper hand, you fooled me with a picture of your compensated 1911 ( who compensates a stock 1911 anyways ) - of which I gave you the credit for winning and wanted a range report.

But alas.... as no one else was manning up and putting a .44 Magnum Powered 1911 in the Review Thread, I took it upon myself and ordered up my kit from CCG.

That kit will be here next week and the pictures will tell the tale...

Orange Furry One.... Out!

Old 02-13-2009, 12:40 AM   #8

Default The FENRIR/COLT .460 Rowland 1911 Project, The Real One $686.95

Told ya! I love it when his orange fur starts to fly.

Here's the Canebrake donor gun;

Colt Government SS Model O1070XSE
Price: $650.00 (used <100/rds I know owner & gun)

The entire gun is stainless steel in a mixture of polished flats and brushed accent areas.
The XSE comes with:

Single action
Combat hammer
Aluminum 3 hole adjustable travel trigger
Fixed Colt/Novak white dot carry sights
New roll marking and enhanced tolerances
Two 8 round magazines
Front and rear slide serrations
Double diamond rosewood grips
Colt beavertail grip safety
Extended ambi thumb safety
Composite MSH
I purchased an additional mag, a Wilson Combat ETM THE WILSON COMBAT® ELITE TACTICAL MAGAZINE
Price: $36.95
THE WILSON COMBAT® ELITE TACTICAL MAGAZINE

I have a weakness for new technology and Bill Wilson has upped the ante with his new ETM offerings.
The ETM started with a blank sheet of paper and 30+ years of 1911 and 1911 magazine experience. The ETM is no re-design of a 7 round magazine which has been reconfigured for 8 round capacity; it’s a totally NEW product designed from the ground-up as a premium 8 round tactical magazine. The ETM has the strongest magazine tube yet developed, virtually eliminating feed lip cracking, tube spread and cracking, and general fatigue.

The dollar amount in the upper right of this post is the running total of my build and will update for each post.

Now if you will excuse me, I've got to go rile up the furry one!

.460 Rowland .... done the Canebrake way!

- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 02-28-2013 at 09:36 PM.

Old 02-13-2009, 04:14 AM   #9

Default Well J.D.?

I believe you are in the batters box. Care to step up to the plate? Completion date maybe?

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS

Don't blame the tool, blame the fool.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:41 PM   #10

Well, while cane is off on another of his sun and malaria induced rants I will stick to the facts at hand.

The folks from Clark Custom Guns have to build my specific "drop in" kit. Now, I don't know about the mighty Colt donor gun of the belly crawler over there, but for Kimber, they asked me what specific model I had and confirmed both the frame and slide were of steel construction, then read off a part inventory for my specific model that they are assembling and shipping to me, hopefully, by next week. It was $305 shipped to my door.

Anyone following along and thinking of doing this same project should note that there are only a handful of 1911's that CCG will build parts for - those being without MIM parts and of steel construction. Both the Kimber and Cane's Colt qualify in their minds as being able to handle the increase in recoil and torque on the weapon.

I should have photos up by next weekend if they do their part - but I can't assemble what I don't have I am afraid.

After I get it assembled, it will be off to Robar to get the externals coated with RoGuard and the internals all coated with NP3 so that the thing will run forever. That alone will be 4 to 6 weeks, depending on backlog.

I am thinking of doing a range test with the weapon before I send it off, to give you guys some idea of the capability of this new round - but we will see. I haven't decided what I want to test it ON yet, though I have some ideas.....*smirk*

JD