Basket Case Marlin - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects >

Basket Case Marlin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2014, 12:30 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 106 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Here are the final photos. I have to blue the butt plate screws and hope to get it to the range but thats about it for this rifle.

This is a working refinish. There are some flaws, the base gun is 62, its not going to be perfect if the work is to be done by the owner at home. However, it looks great, it is well fitted and ready to be sighted in and go stalking quietly to the kill in the woods, get wet in the stand and get barked by bumps and scrapes.

Basket Case Marlin - DIY Projects

Basket Case Marlin - DIY Projects[hr]
And here are 5 more pics. Yall better git er done, theres a lot more out there that need TLC and I can't be doin em all ... I'm getting old and slow and you need to pick up my slack.

Last edited by Sharps40; 03-31-2014 at 12:43 PM.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:31 PM   #12

Not bad, considering my old eyes. I didn't move the sights much at all. This was fired off my knees at 25 yards for rough sight in and included 150g Win factory, 160g LeverEvolution and 180g RN Handloads.

From there we went to shooting from the braced knees at 10" steel swingers at 75 yards. Mostly those were good solid hits and really moves the swinger around a bunch.

From there we fired both the Cougar and my sisters 336A short barrel rifle at the 16" 100 yard swinger. A bit harder, especially with Iron Sights compared to her scope (she got 6 of 6 at 100 yards) but I got 4 of 7 with irons!

As I thought, the action is still very tight. Reliability is 100% with snappy function of the lever in both directions. Right now, it still locks up tight enough that a good swift throw closed will assure proper function untill the bolt lock seats in perfectly with some more use. Every once in a while I'd baby this old gal and she'd misfire so it still needs a bit of time working the lever back and forth. I think this is best done at the range. In all, out of 100 shots today, she misfired two times because I didn't close her up just tight enough.

Heres todays quick target fired off braced knees and I wish yall could have been there to see that steel swing with nearly every single shot. Now my sister with her short barreled scoped 336A, she's gonna be one serious deer and hog killer at any range out to 150 yards I'm sure.

People Like This 
Old 03-31-2014, 01:56 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 266 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I really enjoyed reading this thread. Lets hope others post up pictorial restorations.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:59 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 266 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Can you name the bluing product you used?

Old 03-31-2014, 02:11 PM   #15
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3674 Times on 1770 Posts
Likes Given: 1815

Sharps,

Well done! I also enjoyed the walk through the complete restoration. And thank you for giving an old Marlin workhorse a new lease on life! There is just something sentimental about older weapons! If only they could tell their stories! WOW! Fantastic Job and thanks again for the Thread!

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 03-31-2014, 02:42 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 990 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Dam fine restoration, thanks for sharing this...

Become steel or get cut.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:46 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default Lol.............

That was a waste of your time, and mine looking over all that crap..............

Old 03-31-2014, 03:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY_guy View Post
Can you name the bluing product you used?
Pilkingtons rust blue