Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > AR15 Minigun Concept

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2008, 10:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default AR15 Minigun Concept

Here is a concept i came up with earlier today, A "Minigun" upper reciever that can be attached to any existing AR15/M16 lower recievers. I thought it would be ideal for heavy firefight situations or just a fun range weapon for those who want the feel of somthing more exotic. As real gatling guns will never be man-portable, This concept can as its rate of fire will not be so high but may acelerate the longer it is fired. The "M16 Minigun" may operate on a form of delayed blowback combined with a "Webley-Fosbery" grooved drum underneath the bolt to rotate the barrels. It may be fed from a magazine/drum and chambered in 5.56x45mm NATO.

Although it looks, It is not or no way a gatling gun but a machine gun that changes its barrels for each shot reducing overheating/erosion.

DILLIGAF
K.B. Wilson.

Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoset.
(Not K.B. Wilson).

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-09-2008, 11:40 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

i kinda can't imagine the kind of recoil/pounding my shoulder would be taking...
perhaps some sort of system that would spread out recoil maybe to your waist or chest
but overall i think its kinda impractical?
good effort though
better than what i could think up

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

Last edited by junho806; 10-10-2008 at 04:09 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 10-10-2008, 03:29 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Old 10-10-2008, 04:44 AM   #4

Since Gattling Guns are externally powered,
Where do you prepose to mount the electric motors, gear reduction, batteries or generator, and ammunition drums?

Mini-guns fire 3,000 to 6,000 rounds a minute, that means a 30 round AR magizine would last?
At just 3,000 rounds a minute, that is 50 rounds a second, so a magizine would last slightly over 1/2 second,
And a 100 round drum would last 2 seconds...

Who are you going to get to pack your ammo?

Old 10-15-2008, 03:18 AM   #5

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Who are you going to get to pack your ammo?
What in the world do you think the make privates for? PACKIN AMMO.

But yes AR does have a valid point or points.

Look rather top heavy to me.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:12 PM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Stop bashing his concept guys. You would just have to build a mech-suit to carry the load. It worked in Resident Evil 2, not the mech-suit, but a guy/mutant carrying a mini-gun.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 12-16-2008, 05:05 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

dont forget about predator.and a man can carry a minigun. the one in resident evil is real all they did was cut down the barrels, so it is possible. i favor the mec suit idea

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 12-16-2008, 10:37 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8387 Times on 3629 Posts
Likes Given: 1291

Yeah- and have watched Rambo fire an M-72 LAW thru the windscreen of a Huey (while sitting in the pilot's seat) and did not kill everyone in the back seat. (That nasty backblast issue) DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME- and don't confuse HollyWeird with reality!

Old 01-21-2009, 12:46 AM   #9

Default Rambo

C3: Not to mention him shooting up the communication room and blank cases falling all over the floor. (My wife couldn't understand why I turned the tv off.)

Old 10-20-2009, 09:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdeath66 View Post
dont forget about predator.and a man can carry a minigun. the one in resident evil is real all they did was cut down the barrels, so it is possible. i favor the mec suit idea
I honestly don't really care if this is a bump, or I get banned, I just feel the need to correct mis-information:

Yes, a human can carry a m134, but no, they cannot fire one like they did in Predator, as the recoil is too great. It would only be possible in a tripod setup.

Secondly, the one in resident evil is not real, it is a prop made specifically for the movie. Just because it's used in a movie doesn't make it possible, again recoil is still the key point here. If you do some research, you might find some 'behind the scenes' info for the Predator movie; specifically, what is relevant is that the actor that was using the m134 in the movie notes that even firing blanks, he found it difficult to stand, and if it had been firing live rounds, he would be flat on his back. That isn't the exact quote, but it's close. As said above, if you do the research you'll figure it out yourself as well.

Speaking in movie terms, coupled with real-life points, the reason it even 'worked' in the movie Resident Evil 2 was because the user had super-human strength.