AR in 7.62x54R??
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > AR in 7.62x54R??

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2013, 12:37 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Crazvet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 308
Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default AR in 7.62x54R??

With the Russian ammo being cheaper then most handgun rounds I think a AR-10 modified for 7.62x54 would be a wildly fun range gun. I would have enormous pleasure knowing I'm paying way less then the guy beside me firing 7.62x51. The big question is could it be done without spending a small fortune in modifications?

__________________
Crazvet is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 12-19-2013, 12:49 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SSGN_Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,470
Liked 2294 Times on 1347 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Default

Considering the extra steps or parts needed to reliably feed a rimmed cartridge in a semi-auto it would take some significant modification, a complete new design of the mag or a special upper. The rounds would require some kind of interrupter or a mag that prevented rim lock and a ramp that got the rim clear of obstructions on the way to the chamber. Probably cheaper to find a PSL.

__________________
SSGN_Doc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:58 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Crazvet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 308
Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Considering the extra steps or parts needed to reliably feed a rimmed cartridge in a semi-auto it would take some significant modification, a complete new design of the mag or a special upper. The rounds would require some kind of interrupter or a mag that prevented rim lock and a ramp that got the rim clear of obstructions on the way to the chamber. Probably cheaper to find a PSL.
PSL? I was picturing making a jig to trim the rim, my concern is safely trimming live ammo.
__________________
Crazvet is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:03 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The Great North Woods
Posts: 2,574
Liked 2049 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Default

I don't think the cartridge lends itself to a semi auto platform. I would like to see a modern bolt action gun use this round personally. I think the tolerances associated with this round make it a real challenge.

__________________
chloeshooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:12 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The Edge of Darkness
Posts: 6,495
Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Default

Economical Milsurp ammo is like a Spring snow. It never last very long. Most people would not spend a $1,000 dollars for an AR-10 chambered in an antiquated Communist Bloc Ctg. Very soon thousands of Nagant owners will be without ammo for their gun show bargains.

__________________
nitestalker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:13 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Trez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 3-P
Posts: 3,685
Liked 749 Times on 496 Posts
Likes Given: 825

Default

Russian 7.62 is .311 dia. not .308 like the American 7.62/.30 cal.

__________________
Quote:
...... I suffer from a very rare genetic defect that causes me to be sympathetic toward the International cause. There is no cure.
Trez is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:23 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SSGN_Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,470
Liked 2294 Times on 1347 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock23taBG380ta View Post
PSL? I was picturing making a jig to trim the rim, my concern is safely trimming live ammo.
PSL is a Romanian Designated Marksman Rifle that is basically a up sized AK and uses mags similar to a Dragunov. It fires the 7.62x54r, is semi-auto, and usually cheaper than an AR10. Not quite as refined or as accurate as a true Dragunov. But much more obtainable, and reasonably accurate. Also designed from the beginning for the round you are wanting to shoot. A real Dragunove is hard to come by, has a different gas system, and floated barrel. Parts do not interchange. Most actual Drags will cost well north of $2000 while the PSLs can still be found for a grand or less.
__________________
SSGN_Doc is offline  
Axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:24 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SSGN_Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,470
Liked 2294 Times on 1347 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
Russian 7.62 is .311 dia. not .308 like the American 7.62/.30 cal.
Yeah, that too. But if you were doing a barrel for the 7.62x54r chamber, you would also bore it correctly as well.
__________________
SSGN_Doc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:34 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The Great North Woods
Posts: 2,574
Liked 2049 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Economical Milsurp ammo is like a Spring snow. It never last very long. Most people would not spend a $1,000 dollars for an AR-10 chambered in an antiquated Communist Bloc Ctg. Very soon thousands of Nagant owners will be without ammo for their gun show bargains.
Doubtful. The cheap corrosive stuff may disappear but the round will be manufactured due to the large market that exists. Economics 101
__________________
chloeshooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:55 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Mercator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Indiana
Posts: 5,189
Liked 2223 Times on 1552 Posts
Likes Given: 1150

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
I don't think the cartridge lends itself to a semi auto platform. I would like to see a modern bolt action gun use this round personally. I think the tolerances associated with this round make it a real challenge.
The big challenge is to feed this round into a bolt action. The Mosin rifle has an added part, the interrupter, to cycle the rimmed 7.62. The contemporary Enfields and Mausers did not need it. It appears that failed interrupters were a problem during WW1. But I agree with chloeshooter, why not recreate a better Mosin-Nagant with a real good trigger, scope mounts, etc. Evidently, the corporate bean counters say no.
__________________
Mercator is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
7.62x54r TwelveGageTaylor General Rifle Discussion 11 12-03-2013 12:55 PM
Connecticut 7.62x54r fortinsj Wanted 5 08-17-2013 12:23 AM
7.62x54R PrestonPoole Ammunition & Reloading 8 06-26-2013 07:52 AM
where to get 7.62x54r? joshoso General Rifle Discussion 11 03-31-2012 05:24 PM
7.62x54R Righteous2U Ammunition & Reloading 11 08-06-2011 04:06 AM