Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > AR-15 Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 08:37 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

jees come down to my neck of the woods and ya can meet the gurus at the shop. If ya want I can send ya a link. These guys build them in thier sleep. It is on the Ri Border and about 50 mins from Boston.Plus they might have the stuff in stock, and they are State troopers.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:39 PM   #12

Oh ya and what you stocking it with?

Old 02-15-2011, 08:46 PM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkchucker View Post
Oh ya and what you stocking it with?
Coyotes, pests, and targets.

Thats sure is a drive for me. Maybe I'll make my way down there soon.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 02-15-2011, 08:49 PM   #14

so standard A2?

Old 02-18-2011, 12:44 PM   #15

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I need some input. I'm stuck on what barrel to order. I've decided to go with a .223 mainly because of the availability here in MA. I was looking at a standard barrel with some flip up battle sights or something, but I really don't want to ruin one by pinning a muzzle brake to it, not to mention the available muzzle breaks are slim pickins. So I figure a bull barrel would fix my problem, but I don't want to carry around a brick. Does anyone have a 16" bull barrel on their SUR? Are they unreasonably heavy? I guess if I go this way, I could enjoy some bench shooting as well?

Also, what type of sighting system would you recommend if I have a bull barrel? Is it pointless to put folding sights on if I'm just going to mount a low power scope? This being my first SUR, I can't wrap my head around a dual sighting system.

I could probably answer these questions, but I've been stuck for some time now. Maybe just writing my ideas down will help, but I'm hoping from some input.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 02-18-2011, 04:31 PM   #16

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

I have 18" BB's on both my AR458 and AR10, the AR15 has a 16" heavy barrel. I wouldn't have any reserves putting a 16" BB on my AR15 as the weight is a non factor for me - target shooting and hunting. My STAG upper had to be NY compliant when I purchased it so it has a pinned muzzle break. It's not ideal but it doesn't bother me much. I would prefer a flash hider but have no desire to change it out just yet.

It's not pointless to have some BUIS - scopes can break and red dots can lose power. If you can fit them on the rails I would invest in some. An Aimpoint or an Eotech lend themselves to this set up by being short and using less rail space. A full sized scope may not leave you the room to fit iron sights.

Are you sure you can own that in MA?

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 02-19-2011, 01:09 AM   #17

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Received my stock and charging handle today. Super easy to install (and pin). I went with the cheapest stock I could find seeing how I had to pin it as soon as I got it. $65 from bravocompanyusa.com. Its starting to look like a SUR now.

imag0229.jpg  

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 02-19-2011, 01:16 AM   #18

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

My Ninja is stepping up in the world. Well done brother!

Old 02-19-2011, 01:48 AM   #19

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
My Ninja is stepping up in the world. Well done brother!
Thank you sir.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 02-23-2011, 06:21 PM   #20

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I'm super bored so I figure I'll put up some company reviews. I was going to save them until I was DONE, but I'm close enough.

OperationParts.com - First experience with this company. Competitive prices as far as I can tell. Stock is very accurate and up to date. Order was processed and shipped the same day USPS. Received in three days, packaged to survive a 10 story drop, no damage. I recommend these guys and will do business again.

BravoCompanyUSA.com - First experience with this company as well. Prices were competitive but a little high, but they had items in stock that others didn't. Order was processed and shipped next day USPS, three days as well. Fairly good job with packaging considering non-fragile contents.

MidwayUSA.com - Solid and reliable company to buy from as everyone knows. They slacked a little on the shipping comparably. Placed order on Thursday night, account was charged immediately, not shipped until Monday night, will be here tomorrow. Their stock is low and slow with popular items - not much they can do.

DPMS.com - The only reason I bothered with them is I thought they had some items in stock that no one else does. Ordered items from them last Wed (2/16/11). Emailed them last night asking what the heck was going on. Got a phone call today and the guy said they didn't have my shipping address (bull), just my billing address AND they don't have the armorers wrench in stock and don't know when they will be getting any. Last time I do business with DPMS directly .

I guess I'm going to order an armorers wrench (and maybe other goodies) through operationparts.com today because I'm so impressed with their non-problematic business and speed.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Last edited by dnthmn2004; 02-24-2011 at 10:35 PM.