AR-15 Build
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > AR-15 Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 03:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Default AR-15 Build

I blame you guys mostly. I'd look at a picture of a sexy AR and keep repeating to myself, "Thats nice, but I don't need one." Well, I could only take so much. Thanks a lot guys...

I would like to hope I have the skills to build one from scratch, so thats what I'm doing. I figure if I do the research and do it myself, when something goes wrong I won't need a gunsmith on speed dial.

Starting with an M&P 15 lower to support the locals. DPMS lower kit and Daniel Defense upper are the first things to show up in the mail. A lot of the items I want are back-ordered so this will take longer than expected. Good thing I have time.

imag0209.jpg   imag0211.jpg   imag0210.jpg   imag0212.jpg  

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-15-2011, 03:47 AM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

So my first problem has already arisen. I can't find a Daniel Defense barrel with a 1:9 twist, only 1:7. I've read that a 1:9 is desirable, but will I make a bad decision getting a 1:7? FYI, I won't be shooting any tracer rounds or going full auto.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 02-15-2011, 04:01 AM   #3
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 464 Times on 254 Posts

I can't really help you but that is a very nice Lower. I am doing a build for the Mrs. She doesn't know yet.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:07 AM   #4

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 View Post
So my first problem has already arisen. I can't find a Daniel Defense barrel with a 1:9 twist, only 1:7. I've read that a 1:9 is desirable, but will I make a bad decision getting a 1:7? FYI, I won't be shooting any tracer rounds or going full auto.
1:7 might be problematic with lower grain, less than 55, varmint rounds...what barrel length are you thinking of? What types of shooting are you planning on...plinking, longer range 200+, coyotes?

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 02-15-2011, 04:19 AM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
1:7 might be problematic with lower grain, less than 55, varmint rounds...what barrel length are you thinking of? What types of shooting are you planning on...plinking, longer range 200+, coyotes?
I was thinking between plinking and yotes, no long range for this one.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 02-15-2011, 04:58 AM   #6

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 View Post
I was thinking between plinking and yotes, no long range for this one.
1:9 would be the most versatile for those situations giving you acceptable performance across a range of bullet weights from 40-69ish. Anything lighter or heavier may have self-destruct or understabilization issues, respectively. A 1:7 will help on the heavy end of the scale but would most likely take the 40gr option away, either will handle the M193 55gr standard.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 02-15-2011, 06:46 PM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Step one complete.

imag0213.jpg  

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 02-15-2011, 06:49 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The qquality of the machining on the M&P's is awesome. Why don't you check out some of the other barrel makers other than DD? There are a ton of options out there.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:47 PM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel_Slayer View Post
The qquality of the machining on the M&P's is awesome. Why don't you check out some of the other barrel makers other than DD? There are a ton of options out there.
I'm open to suggestions. I was just going with DD because of the quality. I can't own one of their rifles, but I can build one as long as the lower is MA compliant.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 02-15-2011, 08:23 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am pretty sure J and T sells individual barrels. They only use Wilson Combat and ER Shaw. Nice stuff at an inexpensive price. You can download their catalog online