Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Anyone ever made their own gun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2007, 09:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Anyone ever made their own gun?

I saw the movie, In the Line of Fire, recently, and the villain makes his own little gun in the movie.

Have you ever done this or know anyone who has?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-17-2007, 11:09 PM   #2

Didn't see the movie, don't know what sort of firearm was depicted, would never admit to building one or incriminating anyone I don't know of who never did any such thing to the extent of my non-existent knowledge of nothing that never happened. Building anything that BATFE defines as a firearm requires a manufacturer's license from BATFE, and it's a felony to build without it. I believe there are some exceptions for things like black powder cannons and so forth, but don't take my word for it, look at thier website.

That said, I think anybody with some elemental machine shop and sheet metal tools could build a serviceable submachine gun without much trouble. Most of the designs are very simple, and if you didn't have to build a barrel from scratch or wind your own springs, you could probably build a crude but functional gun in a well equipped auto shop. The Afghanis and Pakistanis have been building functional replicas of modern firearms with little more than hand tools and dung-fueled forges for decades.

Old 04-22-2007, 05:25 AM   #3

Default Actually no...

You can build your own gun from parts, or from scratch WITHOUT a manufacturers license. What you CANT do is build a gun for sale to someone else - that takes a license because you're in business. There are a ton of single shot guns out there made from parts kits and cobbled together without serial numbers that are perfectly legal to own.

If you don't ever take the gun out of your home state you don't have to serialize it - however, the ATF requires that you affix a unique serial number to it if you wish to put it in the registry. There's a form for it at the ATF website - essentially you describe the gun and the proposed serial number, submit the form and receive approval. No license required.

Old 04-23-2007, 04:15 AM   #4

Well, there you have it from someone more knowledgeable than me... I'd still caution dealing with BATFE with the same respect due a rattlesnake...

Old 04-23-2007, 01:34 PM   #5

I disagree completely.
A rattlesnake has a clearly defined set of rules and sticks to them.
1. Come too close and I warn you.
2. Ignore my warning and I'll bite you.

The BATFE doesn't play quite so nice and the bite is much more painful.

"Never trust a government that doesn't trust its own citizens with guns. "
--Thomas Jefferson

Old 04-23-2007, 06:51 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I agree...be careful...know the laws..or you get the do not pass go..go straight to federal prison and pay 250 grand...oh yeah and never have a life again...cause big brother will always be watching.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:09 PM   #7

Been "rolling my own" for years. Of course, with the parts kits drying up, my builds these days are more oriented toward one-off "wonder how this would work out" designs. Latest is a 8x57 AK (yeah, call me nuts!)

So far have built (all semiauto):

AKs
DP28
MG42
1919A4
DShK
AR15 - eh
probably some other stuff I can't recall.

Biggest thing to remember is to make DARN sure there is no way it can be "readily converted to fire full auto". And thats were I have the most fun. Any slob can reweld a receiver and chuck some parts in it - but it takes finesse to come up with a way to make sure full auto parts can in no way be used, and to come up with a way to make it fire from a closed bolt (if applicable).

Old 04-24-2007, 02:35 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Latest is a 8x57 AK (yeah, call me nuts!)
OK your nuts, but I still wanna see pics .

Old 04-26-2007, 10:33 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

In Canada it is also legal to make your own firearms, provided you put a serial number on it and register it.

Edited to add-- and of course provided it is firearm of a type that is legal for you to own.

"Those who have long enjoyed privileges as we enjoy, forget, in time, that men have died to win them."

Franklin D. Roosvelt

Old 05-16-2007, 12:46 PM   #10

Totally and utterly Illegal here in Oztralia to pretty do anything thing, even pretty much own firearms!

Our government dosnt trust us....the way the have been acting lately.....I dont blame them!

As a primary producer (farmer) i am allowed to have rifles and shot guns, but I am limited to types and calibres. I could justifiy semi auto 22 and a five shot pump 12 Gauge, but its pointless because of the hoops I would have to jump through!