You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects >

Anybody cast their own bullets?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2016, 05:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 48 Times on 31 Posts

Default Anybody cast their own bullets?

Hey everyone,
I was thinking about casting my own bullets.
What's the general cost of the equipment? Is it worth it? What's involved?
Thanks for your help!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-20-2016, 12:47 PM   #2
hmh

Liked 251 Times on 174 Posts

It is worth it. You will need a pot (buy bottom pour), molds I would go with lee 6 cavity, lead thermometer, old spoon, sizing die and lube, and something to put the bullets in or on when they are hot, I water drop. Make sure what you are using is lead. Melt it in the pot while you are warming up your molds (make sure you season new molds). Fill the mold up wait until the lead starts to haze hit the spruce plate with a piece of wood. Drop the bullets out. Your first couple of times in a run will not be usable because you are still heating the mold.

Old 05-20-2016, 12:54 PM   #3
hmh

Liked 251 Times on 174 Posts

Do not get any moisture in the pot and put on PPE. Also do it outdoors with the fumes blowing away from you.
https://youtu.be/vwckrd_ZmFk

Last edited by hmh; 05-20-2016 at 12:59 PM.

Old 05-20-2016, 01:25 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 11243 Times on 5962 Posts
Likes Given: 10929

It's well worth it.

Get a Lyman or RCBS bottom pour pot, a Lyman 450 lubricator-sizer, and the "Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook."

Lee molds will work, but they're nowhere near the quality of Saeco, RCBS or Lyman molds.
History fails to record a single precedent in which nations subject to moral decay have not passed into political and economic decline. There has been either a spiritual awakening to overcome the moral lapse, or a progressive deterioration leading to ultimate national disaster.
Douglas MacArthur

If you think a strong military is expensive, think about what a weak one would cost
CaptMidnight Likes This 
Old 05-21-2016, 12:25 AM   #5

Where do you guys buy your lead?

Old 05-21-2016, 01:28 AM   #7
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 13345 Times on 5666 Posts
Likes Given: 2214

might I suggest- spend $7.90 over at Alibris, and read the book?

http://www.alibris.com/Lyman-reloading-and-cast-bullet-guide-Lyman-Products-Corporation/book/4078316?matches=5

I cast pure lead Maxis for my 45 and 50 cal muzzleloaders, and cast wheel weight bullets for .38 and .45. I use 'tumble lube" molds that do not require sizing the bullets, lube with spray Alox.

Use a bottom tap pot, cast in a spot with good ventilation, after handling lead learn to go wash your hands good. Get wheel weights from a couple of local tire shops, but you have to pick thru and check them- not all are lead.
People Like This 
Old 05-21-2016, 03:21 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Maybe it's overkill, but I cast outside, wear OSHA approved industrial safety glasses, heavy gloves, a heavy duty shop apron and a painter's respirator.

I tried the tumble lube, but went back to sized, and lubed with Thompsons' Blue Angel.

Personal preference. Guess I'm old fashioned.

I use straight wheel weights for all cast pistol bullets. I drop bullets from the mold into cold water.
History fails to record a single precedent in which nations subject to moral decay have not passed into political and economic decline. There has been either a spiritual awakening to overcome the moral lapse, or a progressive deterioration leading to ultimate national disaster.
Douglas MacArthur

If you think a strong military is expensive, think about what a weak one would cost

Old 05-21-2016, 03:30 AM   #9

I called a local tire shop- said all they had was steel wheel weights. Said they switched from lead years ago. I'll call a few other places and see...

Old 05-21-2016, 03:39 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageGuy_ View Post
I called a local tire shop- said all they had was steel wheel weights. Said they switched from lead years ago. I'll call a few other places and see...
Try your local scrap metal dealers also.

A while back, I bought 500 pounds of the lead weights for $125.
Douglas MacArthur