Anybody anodizing aluminum at home? - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Anybody anodizing aluminum at home?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2014, 09:51 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 89 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'm still on page one but this is shapin up to be a fun and informative thread. I do hope I learn to anodize from readin. That'll show em....aint too much can't be done well and safe by a careful and informed craftsman. Power on DIY Guy!!!

Finally Home, NC

DFlynt Likes This 
Old 04-04-2014, 10:12 PM   #42
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2740 Times on 1332 Posts
Likes Given: 1392

AXE,

I am with you and the others regarding our thoughts! Guess our advise from those of us who have been in the black gun (AR) industry for over 25 years and are still in the industry are just telling people what the can not do! So in the future we wont give advise to those who obviously do not appreciate our thoughts!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-04-2014, 10:23 PM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
AXE,

I am with you and the others regarding our thoughts! Guess our advise from those of us who have been in the black gun (AR) industry for over 25 years and are still in the industry are just telling people what the can not do! So in the future we wont give advise to those who obviously do not appreciate our thoughts!

That's why they call it "offering advice"; they offeree doesn't have an obligation to accept it. Be happy that you offered what you consider the best advice.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

People Like This 
Old 04-04-2014, 10:31 PM   #44

DIYGUY. Readin wif innerest. Been studyin it too. What I believe ive learned so far is...NAYSAYERS ASIDE....

Its very possible to acheive excellent results with safety on non critical items. If my studies are well informed its not likely the home shop could easily control for critical tollerences nor acheive the hard anodize needed for high load/high wear surfaces.

To that end ill watch an learn from ya as I cast about for a suitable home project...say a trigger guard or a nice cast luminim offenhauser intakemanifold for a hot rod 6 cylinder.
Luck to ya and yeah....I agree, ye'll prolly be safe an successful.

Finally Home, NC

Old 04-04-2014, 11:15 PM   #45

Liked 1105 Times on 735 Posts
Likes Given: 734

Actually, there is an occasion where I WANT to be talked out of doing something. If there is a good reason TO do it, fine. If there is a good reason NOT to do it, fine. Sometimes, I ignore my better judgement, and am inclined to do it anyway. I may float the idea, and hope that someone will say not to, and maybe give a good reason why not.
The last time this happened, I floated the idea last fall to my wife about upgrading my 1 year old truck. She said OK! Oopps, that backfired! I now have the upgraded truck.

Currently, I'm considering replacing a basically new $165 scope for a different one. It's a BSA Contender that I don't completely like. Could I make it work? Probably.

Can I get a YAY! or a NAY!?

I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Last edited by clr8ter; 04-04-2014 at 11:18 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-04-2014, 11:20 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Actually, there is an occasion where I WANT to be talked out of doing something. If there is a good reason TO do it, fine. If there is a good reason NOT to do it, fine. Sometimes, I ignore my better judgement, and am inclined to do it anyway. I may float the idea, and hope that someone will say not to, and maybe give a good reason why not.
The last time this happened, I floated the idea last fall to my wife about upgrading my 1 year old truck. She said OK! Oopps, that backfired! I now have the upgraded truck.

Currently, I'm considering replacing a basically new $165 scope for a different one. It's a BSA Contender that I don't completely like. Could I make it work? Probably.

Can I get a YAY! or a NAY!?
Id ask GoodWife. She gaveya a Go onna truck....betcha ya can getta zeise this go round.

Finally Home, NC

Old 04-04-2014, 11:28 PM   #47

Sorry Diy, looks like yer RFI on home annodizin is derailing. Iffin I figger it out on a future project i'll holler out yer way. I spose if I was terrorfried bout nitric acid i'da never learned how to rust blue steel or char color maple and other white woods.

Hope ya press on with pride and safely acheive yer quest for knowledge and skill.

I will back outta here affor internal pressures get so high folks hemorrhoids come a squirtin out ta tangle up they lil footsies.

Finally Home, NC

Last edited by Sharps40; 04-04-2014 at 11:44 PM.
orangello Likes This 
Old 04-05-2014, 01:56 AM   #48

Liked 206 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 66

I have not tried any of this plating at home, but here is a site that sells supplies for all kinds of plating and anodizing. But it is not cheap:

http://www.caswellplating.com/electroplating-anodizing/anodizing-products.html

Old 04-05-2014, 03:43 AM   #49

Liked 126 Times on 78 Posts

People today are programmed to be scared of everything. Experimenting is frowned upon, and we have to be kept safe from ourselves.
There are some online sites and forums for home anodizing.
I made black powder when I was a kid, I had a rifle, played with mercury in my bare hands, we made small cannons and shot them, our moms wiped the counters with a soapy rag-no disinfectant. Life was dangerous back then, I guess-but it was damned sure more interesting.

Bill DeShivs

People Like This 
Old 04-05-2014, 04:04 AM   #50

Liked 1105 Times on 735 Posts
Likes Given: 734

Sometimes it's simply about money, efficiency, quality, cost of scale, etc. Now, when it comes to acid, personally, I take a huge step back. Not because I've ever been told to, but because acid truly scares me. Although, mercury, too. But I have done PLENTY of experiments, trust me, with MY preferred implements and materials.

I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.