Anybody anodizing aluminum at home? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Anybody anodizing aluminum at home?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2014, 02:47 AM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 19

From viewing your restorations I am confident you will prevail. Good luck. Keep us informed.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 04-03-2014, 03:06 AM   #32
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5671 Times on 2962 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDeShivs View Post
BTW you can't Parkerize aluminum.
I know that. My point was the process is much more simple and cheaper yet the same in terms of soak times and results. I was suggesting it as a stepping stone to anodizing.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-03-2014, 10:21 AM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 255 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I appreciate that but I am really only interested (via this thread) in anodizing. Where this thread has for the most part been a disappointment, some private messages have been beneficial.

Love your guns, spend time with them.

KG7IL Likes This 
Old 04-03-2014, 12:40 PM   #34

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

I know of a guy that does this as a business and he uses Igloo coolers for his tanks, fish tank heaters to keep the proper temp. He says its alot like painting , Good prep / good results , poor prep / poor results . I have seen some of his work and its phenominal

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens
People Like This 
Old 04-03-2014, 11:31 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY_guy View Post
I appreciate that but I am really only interested (via this thread) in anodizing. Where this thread has for the most part been a disappointment, some private messages have been beneficial.
You are an innovator, a striving pioneer in the field of restoring old junky to newly funky; do not be dissuaded from your quest to reuse & recycle.

Think how many horrifically ugly Mossberg 500's are out there hiding in shame, awaiting your help.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

DIY_guy Likes This 
Old 04-04-2014, 12:11 AM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1709 Times on 741 Posts
Likes Given: 1298

No experience with home anodizing(nor would I want to) but I am a manager in an aluminum extrusion facility that has an anodize line that runs 10000000+ ft a year. I am not the finish supervisor but do know a little bit about it on a commercial basis as I get to fill in for him from time to time when he is on vacation. It would be possible to scale the process down to do at home but having caustic soda and sulfuric acid in my home or even my shop is something that I would not even consider. The tanks have to be heated plus the sulfuric has to be electrically charged. Once you get the anodize looking like you want then you have to seal it.

Last edited by rockratt; 04-04-2014 at 12:46 AM.
DIY_guy Likes This 
Old 04-04-2014, 12:30 AM   #37

Liked 18 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Get the materials needed and go to it, so many here are worried about the disposal of any waste that it makes sense to me to be quiet about it, therefore I will not share on this thread.

Anodizing is not harder than plating an object with chrome, gold,etc.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:34 AM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

People Like This 
Old 04-04-2014, 08:44 PM   #39

Liked 77 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY_guy View Post
Not to be nit picky guys but Im not seeking advice on how to avoid learning a new skill set or how to fear anodizing. Im looking for input from members that actually anodize and are willing to share their experiences doing it. Im surrounded daily by people telling how not to do stuff or that it cant be done or it would be too difficult. I don’t usually pay attention to those folks because im too busy actually doing what they say cant or shouldn’t be done. If you have actually done it and failed, I might be interested but if you have never tried it and want to see to it that I don’t either, im less interested. The world is full of people too afraid to fail to even give it a try. The joy is in the doing. There is much to be learned by failing.

If you aimed for black and got purple, then solve the problem. You don’t stop trying and assume that others are just smarter than you and figured it out what you cant. You miss every shot you don’t take.

Many many people have for many many years been anodizing aluminum. Im not seeking input on anything that hasn’t already been done. If other men have been successful at it there is no reason to think I wont also be successful and I wont know unless I try which is why I place little value on discouraging words.

P.S. A lye bath (draino and water) will remove anodizing.

P.S.S. I am not soley looking for info for gun restoration and will also focus on new parts and even archery gear.
Best and most thoughtful response to Naysayers I've read in years.

Finally Home, NC

Old 04-04-2014, 08:48 PM   #40

Liked 77 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
maybe i should build a nuclear reactor in my backyard and start generating my own power. surely someone might suggest or even recommend that this is not the best thing to do. .
Most silliest analogy I've read all year.

Finally Home, NC

DFlynt Likes This