Anybody anodizing aluminum at home? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Anybody anodizing aluminum at home?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2014, 09:27 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 561 Times on 379 Posts

I doubt all the meth cooks dispose of their waste products correctly just sayin lol

Old 04-02-2014, 09:39 PM   #22
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22220 Times on 12454 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY_guy View Post
I will list them again

Sodium Bisulfate: (pool additive like Aqua Chem pH down) no doubt used by some not so bright folks every day in their pools. sodium bisulfite is sold by some home winemaking suppliers for the same purpose. In fruit canning, sodium bisulfite is used to prevent browning (caused by oxidation) and to kill microbes.

In the case of wine making, sodium bisulfite releases sulfur dioxide gas when added to water or products containing water. The sulfur dioxide kills yeasts, fungi, and bacteria in the grape juice before fermentation. When the sulfur dioxide levels have subsided (about 24 hours), fresh yeast is added for fermentation.

Sodium bisulfite is also added to leafy green vegetables in salad bars and elsewhere, to preserve apparent freshness, under names like LeafGreen. The concentration is sometimes high enough to cause severe allergic reactions.[

That being said, I think (if one can eat it) that it CAN BE flushed. I would already be diluting it with water anyay.

Sodium Hydroxide: (drain cleaner or lye), available at all hardware stores and used by not so smart people every day to clear clogged drains and as such (and by its very nature) is meant to go down a drain.

RIT dye: used by some of the dumbest people on earth. I have used it many many times and alway dispose of .......... Yup you guessed it. Right down the drain

Battery or source of DC current: I use these daily. I will refrain from flushing this as it reusable (and because it would no doubt clogg the drain requiring more drain cleaner (the horror)

Aluminum: Seems pretty stable and is the part I hope to anodize so nope, I wont be flushing it.

Room temp Distilled water: I flush that stuff all the time. I think im good with that one

boiling water: See above. Boiling water down the drain frees up grease clogs too

Soap: Need I say more?

Rubbermaid tote: reusable

The above list may be why there has been no mention of disposing of the items needed.

LOL at "left to the professionals" How does one become a professional??? By doing and disregarding those that dispence discouraging words that would keep one from becoming a professional.

Back to my original question. If you have experience at DIY anodozing I would love to here your tips and tricks. If however you only have discouraging words, there are a host of threads seeking your input.
i don't claim to be a chemist and don't even have a degree in chemistry, but i do remember some of the funadamentals from high school, that even supposedely inert chemical by themselves are non-toxic and even benign in nature, but when even such chemicals are combined can be very dangerous, very toxic and sometimes explosive.

ammonium nitrate is a not extremely hazardous chemical used in making fertilizer. diesel, well typically a fuel source for many uses. seperate, they are pretty stable and people use them everday. but combine them with a ignition source and they make one pretty potent bomb. remember the Federal Building in Oklahoma City?

so you are again trying to tell people where they may now post? you may be really knowledgeable in working on guns, but you seriously need to work on your people skills a bit. people here are trying to give you some advice to consider or suggestions and all you can do is be rude to them.
clr8ter Likes This 
Old 04-02-2014, 09:50 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 265 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I live in WI and have a private well and septic and as stated the items are not worthey of concern for disposal let alone posts about it but im glad we got that settled.

Back to the ORIGINAL (non-sidetracked stuff) topic. If you have done DIY home anodizing, lease share your insights. If you have not done it. Wait over here with me for those folks to post. Lets leave plenty of room for their insight rather than mucking up the works with non-essential stuff.

Last edited by DIY_guy; 04-02-2014 at 09:53 PM.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:01 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Ugly Mossberg 500 owner signing in for insight.

(the gun, not me)

Old 04-02-2014, 10:05 PM   #25
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22220 Times on 12454 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Ugly Mossberg 500 owner signing in for insight.

(the gun, not me)
careful 'Gello or he might make you stand out the way while the real professionals are talking.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:40 PM   #26

Liked 1330 Times on 890 Posts
Likes Given: 856

Quote:
I doubt all the meth cooks dispose of their waste products correctly just sayin lol
Oh, no doubt. But Heaven Forbid they catch you at it...
I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:49 AM   #27

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 2021 Times on 1116 Posts
Likes Given: 6005

Kid's don't try this at home. . Don't do anything, just stay in front of the xbox, but with a radiation shield. . .

We need more people to do more things. I think most of us know we live in a dangerous world. If anyone has specific reactions that should be approached with specific caution, I think that we would all learn.

I am with DIY-guy.. let's try this at home!

The world I live in, is a dangerous one. It kinda' adds to the zest of life.
DIY guy is asking for info. . . I have often wanted to anodize at home myself.

Just think if you asked a question on necking down a wildcat. . and you get a liturgy of Mercury, Lead, Nitrates and other warnings.

If there were specific dangerous related to necking down a cartridge, then it is apropos, but all that other stuff is hoo-haw (sp?)

Let hold up the fingers we left and give our friends a supporting wave of encouragement.
People Like This 
Old 04-03-2014, 12:51 AM   #28

Liked 150 Times on 99 Posts

I have no experience with it. I have researched anodizing, and it is a simple process. You should be able to do it as you are obviously a smart guy. I decided not to do it in favor of using electroless nickel on aluminum parts. That I can help you with.
BTW you can't Parkerize aluminum.

Old 04-03-2014, 01:44 AM   #29

Liked 2414 Times on 1504 Posts
Likes Given: 51

All I know is I wanna see the before and after pics. Your threads are always good to look through. Good luck!

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
People Like This 
Old 04-03-2014, 02:10 AM   #30

Liked 1148 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 2039

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDeShivs View Post
I have no experience with it. I have researched anodizing, and it is a simple process. You should be able to do it as you are obviously a smart guy. I decided not to do it in favor of using electroless nickel on aluminum parts. That I can help you with.
BTW you can't Parkerize aluminum.
You also cannot parkerize melonited steel . It will come out perfectly black and look beautiful until you find that it wipes right off with a rag

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens