Alumahide
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Alumahide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2013, 09:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 465 Times on 258 Posts

Default Alumahide

My son has been after me to help him change the color of his rifle. Wondering if any one has experience with alumahide and in particular will it stick to the plastic stock and foreend (magpul).

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-29-2013, 09:46 PM   #2

Liked 983 Times on 649 Posts
Likes Given: 632

Why not just buy nice stock from Boyds?

Old 11-29-2013, 10:10 PM   #3

Liked 2187 Times on 1290 Posts
Likes Given: 474

I know Alumahyde II works on metal and plastics. It is air cured, and takes at least a full week to cure, much like Duracoat.

What kind if rifle, what color is it now, and what color is he wanting. Some colors may be easier than other to cover, depending on the color being used to cover.

Prep is usually the key to good results.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc
I know Alumahyde II works on metal and plastics. It is air cured, and takes at least a full week to cure, much like Duracoat.

What kind if rifle, what color is it now, and what color is he wanting. Some colors may be easier than other to cover, depending on the color being used to cover.

Prep is usually the key to good results.
It is an AR. Not solid on the color or colors yet. But he is a big fan of fde. Magpuls rendition.

My real concern was the adhesion to the plastic. I'd rather not spend the money on new furniture if no real reason to.

I completely understand the prep work aspect. Have a bunch of years painting cars, an am fully aware that the prep dictates the final product.

I am also considering duracoat, but my understanding is the color is off from magpul fde.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:56 PM   #5

I'm pretty sure Duracoat has a match for Magpul FDE. If not, as long as you coat all the furniture in the same paint it should bd fine.

Duracoat and Alumahyde can change color when they get really hot. So you may consider one of the versions that allows baking as an option for curing. It's more likely to retain original color on the barrel and gas block if you are going to paint the metal also. Not as big of an issue if the metal was finished in a dark color, but Ive seen some of the tans turn reddish or pink after the barrel gets hot. Not as likely with the baked finishes.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:08 PM   #6

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Duracoat has a match for Magpul FDE. If not, as long as you coat all the furniture in the same paint it should bd fine.

Duracoat and Alumahyde can change color when they get really hot. So you may consider one of the versions that allows baking as an option for curing. It's more likely to retain original color on the barrel and gas block if you are going to paint the metal also. Not as big of an issue if the metal was finished in a dark color, but Ive seen some of the tans turn reddish or pink after the barrel gets hot. Not as likely with the baked finishes.
Duracoat does make "magpul" fde but from what I have read the color is way off. Much lighter shade.

Old 11-30-2013, 04:54 AM   #7

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctshooter View Post

Duracoat does make "magpul" fde but from what I have read the color is way off. Much lighter shade.
I did a rifle stock with the magpul fde duracoat. I can say from personal experience, it is far off from the actual magpul fde. Way lighter.

Old 11-30-2013, 05:26 AM   #8

Liked 379 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 59

cerakote has a very close color to magpul FDE

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

Old 11-30-2013, 05:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSadPanda View Post
cerakote has a very close color to magpul FDE
Do they have an air cured version now that is ok for plastics? I haven't played with cerakote yet, but heard it can be a bit less forgiving as far as runs. Don't know from experience though. I've used Brownells Teflon baked finish and Norrels Moly Resin with good results, but they can't be used on plastics because of the baking temps.

Old 11-30-2013, 05:37 AM   #10

Liked 379 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Do they have an air cured version now that is ok for plastics? I haven't played with cerakote yet, but heard it can be a bit less forgiving as far as runs. Don't know from experience though. I've used Brownells Teflon baked finish and Norrels Moly Resin with good results, but they can't be used on plastics because of the baking temps.
I honestly have no idea. I havnt heard of one, but that statement isn't work much. But here's a picture of a magpul stock with a cerakoted rifle.

image-1694016579.jpg

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man