adjusting trigger pounds how hard - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > adjusting trigger pounds how hard

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012, 04:28 AM   #11
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21723 Times on 12313 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut07 View Post
What are you guys talking about?

The accutrigger and the x-mark pro trigger come with tools to adjust them. The old Remington factory trigger the evil killer one is not much harder to adjust. You need to follow a good set of instructions and do a drop test every time you make an adjustment to it. I myself have every thing from a factory to a timney to a Jewell to a canjar on my rifles I have adjusted every one of them my self. Be smart due common sense and be smart about it.

For the factory old evil killer Remington trigger http://quarterbore.com/library/articles/rem700trigger.html

If it is an AR then you adjust most of them with a spring replacement unless you have a non mil spec trigger like the Jewell AR trigger.

If it is a another rifle manufacture you have to research it. This is no some voodoo black magic to adjusting triggers and there is no need to kill a goat or chicken for it either.
sorry Gunnut07, this is one area not to ever tread lightly into if a person doesn't have the skillset to do it properly. and posting information such as links to sites to do trigger adjustments for someone who has never done them before is irresponsible and foolish. something i don't condone one bit. how would you feel if some novice takes those links to sites, adjusts his trigger and someone were to get hurt or killed because of it?

sometimes there is way too much information on the internet and too many post information that is either wrong or outdated. how is someone who doesn't know the difference in correct information or wrong information? sometimes they don't. better a compentent gunsmith show him how to do it properly or do it for him.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:30 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: nowhere,that other state
Posts: 944
Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Default

How would I feel? No different. I didn't do it and I had no part in it. Some times you as a person has to be responsible for your own actions.

If you heed the warnings and follow the directions to the letter you will be fine.

As for the rifle in question Never touched one I see on the internet you can fiddle with springs and what not. I am not advocating that. The Remington, Jewell, Timney, canjar, Riflebasix, and savage accutrigger are all made to be user adjustable.

I didn't provide the links and videos for the Axis trigger jobs because they require you to use a spring from a pen or what not. Never endorsed someone doing a job above their head.

__________________
gunnut07 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:19 PM   #13
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21723 Times on 12313 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut07 View Post
How would I feel? No different. I didn't do it and I had no part in it. Some times you as a person has to be responsible for your own actions.

If you heed the warnings and follow the directions to the letter you will be fine.

As for the rifle in question Never touched one I see on the internet you can fiddle with springs and what not. I am not advocating that. The Remington, Jewell, Timney, canjar, Riflebasix, and savage accutrigger are all made to be user adjustable.

I didn't provide the links and videos for the Axis trigger jobs because they require you to use a spring from a pen or what not. Never endorsed someone doing a job above their head.
when you post info on a thread, to a link to tell someone who has in all probabilty how to do something that is potentially dangerous, that IMO is negligent and irresponsible. you are not the type of person who needs to give anyone advice with your attitude towards the fact that you didn't do it, so it's not your problem if something bad happens.

as for the rifle in question, you never touched one, but you are free to jump in and tell someone on your last post to go ahead and adjust a trigger, because it's not hard. you don't seem to even know if the trigger is adjustable on the rifle for the end user! well that speaks volumes as to your knowledge of firearms.

please tell me you don't work on guns for a living, because if you do, you really need to seek a different career field, because you would be a piss poor example of a gunsmith with your incompentent attitude.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:39 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jekyllandhide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 107
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

If tell someone to do simething and it wasnt safe its you that has to live with it like telling someone makeing tnt is easy then they blow themself or sinebody else up you would know you where the reson it speaks to moral values you should care abiut others safty if you know them or not.

__________________

guns don't kill people, people kill people and if they take our guns then the bad guys will have them and we won't thay will be fear less of us.

jekyllandhide is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:47 PM   #15
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21723 Times on 12313 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

see Gunnut07, even the OP has enough sense not to exceed his abilities and listen to foolish advice from people like you.

Jekyll, you just earned a healthy dose of respect from me for your last post! i am very pleased to see you have some common sense and are willing to listen to good advice when it comes to gun safety.

__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:01 AM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: nowhere,that other state
Posts: 944
Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Default

Lets think this through for a minute and without insults from your end. You know nothing about my ability or what I do. The OP asked if you can adjust triggers. Most rifles have triggers that are user adjustable. I don't have access to a quality gunsmith in my area so I do what I can do. To me turning 2 hex screws and putting the gun in a stock and dropping the butt on the floor from 1 or 2' is not rocket science. This is the way you adjust the old Remington killer triggers. If you take your time read the directions, have a reading and comprehension level greater than a 4th grader you will be ok. READ the DIRECTIONS.

I don't own an Axis because I am way beyond shooting a low budget entry level rifle. They are not bad guns, they are just not what I would own. He didn't state what rifle he had until post #6. I gave him general information that is ready available on the internet in many different places. Knowing how to work on your own gun is vital to me. So Yes I tear mine down to clean beyond a general field strip. I stop short of total tear down on my rifle cause I don't have a barrel vice nor do I want take apart my $200 trigger's. I do know how to install and adjust every single one of my triggers. As an adult you should be able to read something and determine if you can or cannot perform the task.

You are in an uproar because I posted a link that has been there for years.

If you want to get technical I never posted anything about messing with a Savage Axis trigger. Plus the new accutrigger and the Remington X-mark Pro are both adjustable and come with a tool to adjust them from the factory. So you are telling me that by stating that I should feel guilty if someone makes their trigger too light?

I could have told the guy that by simply cutting 1 coil off the rear spring in the savage axis trigger it would lighten up the weight. I didn't and I would not advise cutting a spring in a trigger. The trigger is designed and made to function with a spring of a specific length and weight. That would be dangerous. Simple turning some screws and doing a drop test is not. People have been adjusting triggers since adjustable triggers came out.

By your thinking, we shouldn't help people who never built an AR-15 to build their first one. We shouldn't help someone get started in reloading both because they are dangerous and can kill you. Everything about a gun is dangerous. You do realize that when you pull a trigger you are setting on an explosion that can rip steal apart only 6" or less from your melon right?

__________________
gunnut07 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:44 AM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jekyllandhide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 107
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

I said what it was befor in my first post i said it wasnt factory adjustable and no one is insulting you just asking to becareful what you link somebody to i dont want any hard feelings im new to this forum and have learned alot in a couple of days i just understand where axxe is comeing from i did not mesn any disrespect im sure you know you guns well as i know mine my ? Was just to see the level of difficulty i will leave it to a gunsmith if i do get an axis but im thinking thr tc venture might be bettet whit its adjustable trigger

__________________

guns don't kill people, people kill people and if they take our guns then the bad guys will have them and we won't thay will be fear less of us.

jekyllandhide is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:55 AM   #18
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21723 Times on 12313 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut07 View Post
Lets think this through for a minute and without insults from your end. You know nothing about my ability or what I do. The OP asked if you can adjust triggers. Most rifles have triggers that are user adjustable. I don't have access to a quality gunsmith in my area so I do what I can do. To me turning 2 hex screws and putting the gun in a stock and dropping the butt on the floor from 1 or 2' is not rocket science. This is the way you adjust the old Remington killer triggers. If you take your time read the directions, have a reading and comprehension level greater than a 4th grader you will be ok. READ the DIRECTIONS.

I don't own an Axis because I am way beyond shooting a low budget entry level rifle. They are not bad guns, they are just not what I would own. He didn't state what rifle he had until post #6. I gave him general information that is ready available on the internet in many different places. Knowing how to work on your own gun is vital to me. So Yes I tear mine down to clean beyond a general field strip. I stop short of total tear down on my rifle cause I don't have a barrel vice nor do I want take apart my $200 trigger's. I do know how to install and adjust every single one of my triggers. As an adult you should be able to read something and determine if you can or cannot perform the task.

You are in an uproar because I posted a link that has been there for years.

If you want to get technical I never posted anything about messing with a Savage Axis trigger. Plus the new accutrigger and the Remington X-mark Pro are both adjustable and come with a tool to adjust them from the factory. So you are telling me that by stating that I should feel guilty if someone makes their trigger too light?

I could have told the guy that by simply cutting 1 coil off the rear spring in the savage axis trigger it would lighten up the weight. I didn't and I would not advise cutting a spring in a trigger. The trigger is designed and made to function with a spring of a specific length and weight. That would be dangerous. Simple turning some screws and doing a drop test is not. People have been adjusting triggers since adjustable triggers came out.

By your thinking, we shouldn't help people who never built an AR-15 to build their first one. We shouldn't help someone get started in reloading both because they are dangerous and can kill you. Everything about a gun is dangerous. You do realize that when you pull a trigger you are setting on an explosion that can rip steal apart only 6" or less from your melon right?
from what i gather from your posts, there is no way i would ever allow you to touch one of my firearms! i also advised the OP to seek a qualified and compentent gunsmith to do it for him as his original question was about doing a trigger job which is way more involved than doing an adjustment on an adjustable trigger. i also advised him that if it was adjustable, to follow the directions, to the letter and if he wasn't up to the task to get a gunsmith to do it for him. and from what i gather the OP is a novice when it comes to guns and therefor needs information and instruction from someone qualified to do so. the internet is rich with erroneous information. there are too many people who have websites that post information that is dangerous and incorrect. you must be one of those people who thinks that just because it's posted on the internet it must be true? well i learned much about firearms from my father and from a qualified gunsmith who happens to be a close friend. a person should never exceed their abilities when it come to firearms without the proper training and instruction. most novices who come on here, don't know whats right or wrong and are looking to learn and if they tended to just go about doing whatever is posted on the internet, they have no way to discern between correct or incorrect procedures. i have enough skill and abilities to recognize what's correct or what's not. most of the new members who are new to guns or novices can't make that distinction yet. if you are capable of doing your own repairs and adjustments, fine, more power to you, but don't go about telling a novice to do it when his skill levels are not clearly there yet. that is irresponsible and negligent IMO. and if you expected me to retract my statements or apoligise for them, well you would clearly be very wrong as i stand by my statements and i will always err on the side of caution when it comes to gun safety.and if my statements offended you, well tough, because i pretty much speak my mind and call things the way i see them.
__________________

Last edited by Axxe55; 07-24-2012 at 12:58 AM.
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:02 AM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jekyllandhide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 107
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Im not a novice i have had a gun since i was 7 and now im 26 got a few years of experince just not in gunsmithing i want the ablity but i eant it the right way

__________________

guns don't kill people, people kill people and if they take our guns then the bad guys will have them and we won't thay will be fear less of us.

jekyllandhide is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:18 AM   #20
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21723 Times on 12313 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekyllandhide View Post
Im not a novice i have had a gun since i was 7 and now im 26 got a few years of experince just not in gunsmithing i want the ablity but i eant it the right way
Jekyll, owning and shooting guns is much different than working on them.. i am almost 50 and have been shooting and owning guns for well over forty years. only in the last 15-20 years have i reached the level to properly work on my firearms and i learned from books, from my father and from a close friend who is a gunsmith. i also have a strong mechanical background, having been around automotive repair shops, machine shops and gunshops all my life. i grew up in that environment from a very early age and have made my living for most of my adult life repairing and rebuilding many different types of equipment and machinery.

i encourage people to learn about their firearms. and i will encourage you also. but get your information and instruction from knoledgeable sources. take it slowly and if not sure about something, find someone who does. there are volumes of books written by people who are experts on guns and share that knowledge with their readers. buy these books and learn. and iam not being mean by this statement, just truthful, you may not be a novice or new to guns, but you are right now a novice when it comes to doing work on them. that's not a bad thing at all, it just means you need instruction before venturing further yet, and that's what this forum is for.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Adjusting sights vertically Hectocotylus Revolver Handguns 13 02-05-2012 11:30 PM
adjusting my front sight?/ ktmboyz AR-15 Discussion 1 06-24-2009 10:53 AM
Lost Angeles melts down 40,000 pounds of weapons AcidFlashGordon The Club House 14 05-25-2009 04:00 PM
LAPD melts 40,000 pounds of guns, turns it into rebar janikphoto The Club House 3 05-22-2009 08:54 PM