Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   DIY Projects (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/)
-   -   adjusting trigger pounds how hard (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/adjusting-trigger-pounds-how-hard-68750/)

jekyllandhide 07-23-2012 01:02 AM

adjusting trigger pounds how hard

Im looking at a rifle but it got a heavy trigger how hard is to lighting it up if its not adjustable from thr factory

gunnut07 07-23-2012 01:25 AM

What kind of rifle is it?

Savage with an accutrigger is easy as pie to adjust, as is the new remington trigger.

The older Remington trigger is not hard but you need to follow the instructions.

Axxe55 07-23-2012 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jekyllandhide (Post 878680)
Im looking at a rifle but it got a heavy trigger how hard is to lighting it up if its not adjustable from thr factory

Jekyll, listen very carefully, as this is very important. do not under any circumstances mess with trigger pull weights or try doing a home DIY triggerjob. it can end in very bad results. triggerjobs are best left to expert gunsmiths for the simple reason, that the trigger is the one of the parts that makes any firearm safe. if you go about messing with them without knowing what you are doing, it could lead to a very dangerous trigger and make the gun very unsafe. i can not stress this enough, Don't Fool With the Trigger. if you want it done to smooth it out or lighten it, take it to a gunsmith, a competent gunsmith. the money spent is peace of mine.

Sniper03 07-23-2012 01:42 AM

I agree 100% with AXXE!

Triggers should be left up to those who are skilled with working on them and putting them in. As stated a lot concerning our advise will be in direct regard to what rifle are you talking about. Some have adjustable triggers and some do not. There all kinds of good after market triggers available also. SO get us the Manufacturer information including the Model Number of the rifle.

Axxe55 07-23-2012 01:47 AM

thank you Sniper03. another point i will add is this, if the trigger is adjustable one from the factory, and you want to adjust it, then buy a trigger pull weight gauge and FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THE OWNERS MANUAL TO THE LETTER! without a trigger pull gauge, and you try and adjust it, how will you know what weight it is. check the weight before and after adjusting.

jekyllandhide 07-23-2012 03:10 AM

Thanks everybody i eould like to call myself a shadetree gunsmith if there is such a thing i never have messed with a trigger other thsn cleaning and pull to shoot just didnt know the level of difficulty il refer to a gunsmith i know a good one and it was the savage axis me and axxe talked about a couple of good guns the savage being the cheapest just got like a 5.5 or 6 lbs trigger iv seen you tube vids shooting 1 in to 1/2 in groups at 100 yards i just dont know what to get

gunnut07 07-23-2012 04:00 AM

What are you guys talking about?

The accutrigger and the x-mark pro trigger come with tools to adjust them. The old Remington factory trigger the evil killer one is not much harder to adjust. You need to follow a good set of instructions and do a drop test every time you make an adjustment to it. I myself have every thing from a factory to a timney to a Jewell to a canjar on my rifles I have adjusted every one of them my self. Be smart due common sense and be smart about it.

For the factory old evil killer Remington trigger http://quarterbore.com/library/articles/rem700trigger.html

If it is an AR then you adjust most of them with a spring replacement unless you have a non mil spec trigger like the Jewell AR trigger.

If it is a another rifle manufacture you have to research it. This is no some voodoo black magic to adjusting triggers and there is no need to kill a goat or chicken for it either.

jekyllandhide 07-23-2012 04:05 AM

A savage axis 308. They got a heavy trigger i never have even held one just red about them

Axxe55 07-23-2012 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jekyllandhide (Post 878861)
Thanks everybody i eould like to call myself a shadetree gunsmith if there is such a thing i never have messed with a trigger other thsn cleaning and pull to shoot just didnt know the level of difficulty il refer to a gunsmith i know a good one and it was the savage axis me and axxe talked about a couple of good guns the savage being the cheapest just got like a 5.5 or 6 lbs trigger iv seen you tube vids shooting 1 in to 1/2 in groups at 100 yards i just dont know what to get

Jekyll, i do some of my own trigger work on my own firearms. but there is no way iwould ever do someone elses firearms for any amount of money. i know me, i know my firearms and i take very special care to do a thorough job, safely. i also do a very thorough safety check afterwards. i would also say this, i would never advocate anyone but a compentent gunsmith doing a triggerjob on any firearm. i have a very close friend who happens to be a very skilled gunsmith who taught me quite a bit over the years. i have a few rifles that are strictly bench rifles and will never ever be used for hunting because the triggers are much too sensative for hunting. also when it comes to triggerjobs, there are only a few people in this country i would trust doing to do it to one of my firearms.

make sure that the person you trust to do one is compentent, as your safety as well as others depends on it. a compentent gunsmith will gladly give you references of jobs he has done for others if he is confident of his work. if he can't or won't, then run very quickly and look for another one. if you explain to him it's a matter of feeling confident in the safety of the job done, he will understand why you want those references and not be offended. if he is offended, look eslewhere.

jekyllandhide 07-23-2012 04:19 AM

Another good peice of advice from axxe you seem like you know what your talking about i wont do anything for anybody else other maybe help put a stock or scope on something i cant srew up i was rased to safe and senseable about guns and safty thank you for your consern and i agree with what you said