Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects > Action for .308

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2010, 04:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Action for .308

I am having a hell of a time choosing between two different action's. The two I am considering are the,

-McMillan G30 CRF
-Surgeon 590 repeater

I have heard there is nothing better than the McMillan action and that is is superior to everything in its class. I do like the 3 pos. safety shroud on it and I think that is a big plus for field stripping your bolt if you need to do so quickly.

But than again the Surgeon has really proven itself to be so simplicic and it's very poplular.

What say you?
-RiP

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-05-2010, 02:31 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Well, you have picked two of the big guns in the name category, but my first question would have to be what are your plans for the build?

The .308 isn't a 1000 yard benchrest round, so I think we can safely rule that out.

Target shooter?
Cross the course gun?
Hunting rifle?

A little more information would go a long ways towards a recommendation.

JD

Old 09-05-2010, 03:10 PM   #3

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Well, you have picked two of the big guns in the name category, but my first question would have to be what are your plans for the build?

The .308 isn't a 1000 yard benchrest round, so I think we can safely rule that out.

Target shooter?
Cross the course gun?
Hunting rifle?

A little more information would go a long ways towards a recommendation.

JD
Yeah what he said.

Old 09-05-2010, 04:38 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
I am having a hell of a time choosing between two different action's. The two I am considering are the,

-McMillan G30 CRF
-Surgeon 590 repeater

I have heard there is nothing better than the McMillan action and that is is superior to everything in its class. I do like the 3 pos. safety shroud on it and I think that is a big plus for field stripping your bolt if you need to do so quickly.

But than again the Surgeon has really proven itself to be so simplicic and it's very poplular.

What say you?
-RiP

I think you will be happy with both of them.
I would lean for the Surgeon,,just a personal thing.
Using the 175 gr bullet, they with both reach 1000yd easily and still have tight groups.
You can't go wrong with either one.
I would buy the Surgeon.