260 Remington model 700 target project - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gunsmithing & Do-It-Yourself Projects > DIY Projects >

260 Remington model 700 target project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2010, 07:17 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Interesting & nice-looking rifle!

My nephew has a .260 bolt gun for a deer rifle. He called me last year looking for a place to buy ammo. I had not heard of the round before, but if he will kill some jaywalking ungulates with it, i will gladly help out on the ammo (pre-rolled from Midwayusa). I will have to show him this thread in answer to his bragging about how accurate his rifle is. Previously, i had simply told him that if he wasn't so scrawny he could have gotten a .300 win mag; i do love to irritate that kid.
Dead Bears, the only good kind.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:46 PM   #22
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

if it were legal here i would totally whack some lazy jobless deer with it but alas Illinois has the ghey
Old 07-22-2010, 01:58 AM   #23
Liked 377 Times on 257 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Originally Posted by Hot Sauce NARC View Post
looks like quality stuff right there. To tell you the truth if i lived in a rational state, instead of the Idiocracy that is Illinois i would have said screw the break and just saved up for a supressor. I think the supressor is truly the way to go but for some reason Illinois deems them to be evil. Lets not get started on Illinois gun laws, thats another thread.

What are your opinions on the effect that different muzzle devices have on pure accuracy? I agree a break reduces felt recoil therefore making you able to be more accurate over an extended period of time, but how do breaks and supressors compare to a proper target crown without any type of muzzle device?
Yeah, I was tempted by the supressor brakes as well, but alass, I live in Communifornia, and they are illegal here as well. Some states allow them, but not here.

As far as accuracy goes with this 300 Win. Mag. target rifle I have, it will shoot .25" to .3" in a bench rest @ 100 with the brake I have now. I have been told a proper designed brake will change the POI somewhat but shouldn't effect precision or accuracy. Again this is what I've been told by other shooters that have been doing this long range target stuff for a long time. It especially holds ture for the larger magnum calibers. If it does effect accuracy I can't see it with the brake I have now. Changing from the untimed Fox River brake to the timed Elite Iron brake did change the POI slightly at 100. Actually the POI with the Elite Iron brake was about 1-1/2" +/- or so higher at 100 with the same 100 yard zero I had with the untimed brake using the same ammunition. I observed a very slight improvement in group size at 100 with this timed brake as well.

In the phone conversation I had with Dale at Elite Iron, before I bought his brake, he discussed that there is a pressure wave just slightly ahead of the projectile as is leaves the muzzle and that his brake as well as a good designed brake should diffuse this pressure wave and somewhat improve the external ballistics of the projectile. I'm assuming thats why the POI with the Elite Iron brake was somewhat higher than with the Fox River brake. Also, for what it's worth, he said that his supressor brakes diffused this pressure wave even better than his non supressed brakes.

When it comes to a comparison with and without the brake in relation to the crown the rifle has, I'd have to thread my brake off and bench it to do a proper comparison. This would not be an issue as this brake will thread on and off easily, however, for the caliber of this rifle and how I'm using it, a brake is a must. Possibly next time I go out to shoot I'll send a dozen or so rounds down the pipe with the brake on and then take the brake off and shoot a dozen or so more rounds and report what the difference is. I imagine, however, the recoil will get my arse when the brake is off. (210 gr. Bergers with a fairly ramped up load of IMR 7828 SSC).
Old 07-23-2010, 12:21 AM   #24
Liked 38 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Great looking stick! Duracoat or Aluma Hyde2 will have it matching in no time.

I use AH2 for just about everything. The Savage was mostly prep time with tape and no more than 2 hours total. The simple paint on my 1917 took all of about 20 minutes, start to finish (but the stock came that way from B&C). Couple of hours for the M25, too. Then a couple of weeks for a solid cure.
260 Remington model 700 target project - DIY Projects

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."